Jeanluc
Hi Harlan

First of all I would like to thank you very much as a software editor to do the effort of a development under linux based platform .Nevertheless I got here the same problem that under MacOSX

Now in Mandriva 2007 springs I got the same problem  described here http://forums.thebrain.com/tool/post/thebrain/vpost?id=1875529

I think some old hidden files are making the mess  in PB . I'm unable to open ThoughFolder since I have totally removed the old version of PB beta and install the new one this morning.

I hope that the future beta release will avoid this kind of problems , it will be nice from you if you could help me to solve this problem.

kind regards
jeanluc

PVI3.2GHz/Ram2Go/X8OOPRO256/WinXPSP2
Powerbook G4 800 OSX 10.4.9
Sony VAIO VGNS3XP/Mandriva 2007 Spring
tcahill
Jeanluc wrote:
Nevertheless I got here the same problem that under MacOSX Now in Mandriva 2007 springs I got the same problem  described here http://forums.thebrain.com/tool/post/thebrain/vpost?id=1875529 I think some old hidden files are making the mess  in PB . I'm unable to open ThoughFolder since I have totally removed the old version of PB beta and install the new one this morning.

Just to ensure that I don't skip over something basic, please forgive me if I review some basics:

First, under 'nix, your ability to view, access or change files is based on user permissions. As a personal rule, I always try to install software as the superuser "root", and then use the software as a normal user. Installing the software as "root", ensures that the installation routine has appropriate access to all the system directories to write files for universal access.

On the other hand, running the software as a normal user ensures that the newly installed software places, at first run and subsequently, all the appropriate user configuration files off of the user's home directory.

Secondly, "hidden" files and directories under 'nix are simply .files and .directories (names that start with a period)

I habitually use KDE and Konqueror for my desktop activities, and with these you may see hidden files. While viewing a directory in Konqueror, click on the Konqueror menubar View --> show hidden files. While hidden directories will not appear in the navigator view to the left, they will appear in the directory view to the right. I believe the file manager in Gnome also has a way to do this.

With this information, you may assure yourself as to the presence of any hidden files and take appropriate steps.

However, it is my experience that "Open thought folder" does not yet work under linux, due to some inconsistencies between 'nix distributions in which GUI file managers are used. This problem is being addressed in another forum thread:
http://forums.thebrain.com/tool/post/thebrain/vpost?id=1848129
Be vewy quiet. I'm hunting wabbit.
Jeanluc
Well with PB , if I try to install the software under console root session , Brain will install his files somewere it require the SU rights . After that , when logged under no SU session you will not be able to use PB.

( A) So I should install PB using a standard user console that it will install it's files in /home/MyUserName/PersonalBrain . This way you can use PB with a no SU session .

This installation mode is not normal in unix world but I take in consideration that this is a beta version and that the final installer is not build at this stage.

When doing (A) , I was able to use PB properly but not open though folder ( as your link ) then I decided to remove completely the old version to install the new beta. But now I get the same message than under OSX ( see my post ) . Brain is trying to open it but do not find the path .

I of course know what is a hidden file in unix and so I did erase the preference file to re-initialize PB ( I used shell as I forgot that konkeror can do that )  . The re-initialization was done successfully but , the problem is still persistent.

I did notice the same problem under mac OSX .

My first conclusion was that they certainly are something wrong, somewhere which give to PBrain to go to get something following a path which do not exist any more. I suppose it kept somewhere the information of first path of the first brain I did with the previous version  but maybe I'm wrong

Anyway I'm not  a developer so I have minor chance to solve this problem by myself, so I will just wait for Harlan advice  to solve this problem .

tcahill
Jeanluc wrote:
Well with PB , if I try to install the software under console root session , Brain will install his files somewere it require the SU rights . After that , when logged under no SU session you will not be able to use PB.

Interesting. (I've just run through the installation again to double check)

When I install PB as SU root, the default install is to /opt/PersonalBrain (this is with OpenSuse), which I, as a normal user, have viewer access to. So far, so good. PB then creates a symlink for the PersonalBrain script (user readable/executable) to /usr/local/bin (also user viewable). Also, a menu item in KDE is created for PersonalBrain with the command: /bin/sh "/opt/PersonalBrain/PersonalBrain". With these default permissions, created by the PB installer as SU, any default user on my system is able to launch and use PB, with user configuration data saved to the user's home directory.

As you are not seeing a similar result, there is something happening in the combination of the installer and your distribution. Are your installation directory defaults and permissions different that those I've noted? Several linux distributions have differning directory structures. Which distribution are you running?

Jeanluc wrote:
( A) So I should install PB using a standard user console that it will install it's files in /home/MyUserName/PersonalBrain . This way you can use PB with a no SU session .

Yes, in the past, I've also installed it that way, but as you say:

Jeanluc wrote:
(This installation mode is not normal in unix world but I take in consideration that this is a beta version and that the final installer is not build at this stage.

It must be very important to ensure consistent results on different linux distributions. It will be great to get out the bugs so we can all enjoy the same results.

Jim
I've always installed PB as root, but have not had these problems at all. As far as I can tell I have full PB functionality.

Jim
Jim Hitch
English Language Services Limited
http://www.englishlanguageservices.co.uk
Jeanluc
ok , I will follow your advice , uninstall all and re-install under root . I will control all dir installation and rights and let you know

Best regards
Jean Luc
Jeanluc
So I did uninstall all ( using the uninstaller ) folders not uninstalled then install PB again from a root shell session .
When this was done , I exit root session and under a standard session I create a shortcut to PB on the desktop in order to be able to launch it easily

Brain is located at /usr/local/PersonalBrain

When I launch PB all seems to be ok until it open my old brain ( from the previous installation , I suppose I didn't have un-installed it correctly so I missed some information to Uninstall it ...)

When I try to open Thought Folder , I got the same message than under OSX
If you need some more test on my distribution or files location , please let me know
Best regards
JL

Click image for larger version - Name: capture1.png, Views: 102, Size: 19.54 KB
Jeanluc
HI

Here is the log file .

That I did is using uninstaller files and clearing derectory then install PB again

Best Regards
JL

tcahill
Hi Jeanluc

I've gone back to your original post a few times and it seems that this is the central problem...

Jeanluc wrote:
PB told me that it can't find my old brain so I ignore then create a new one
Then create a child though then try to open though attachement.

I'm trying to reproduce the error you are experiencing, so here is what I think you are saying:
1) create a new brain (is this new brain in your home directory or somewhere else?)

2) create a child thought. (nothing unusual here, right?)

3) add a thought attachment to the child thought.
( - what kind of attachment?
- where is the attachment? Does your instance of PB have permission to access it?)

I have just been able to recreate the error you are reporting, but I needed to take some special steps to do it. I added an attachment (a file link from my personal documents folder) to a thought and closed the brain file. Then I ran PB as a different user, and tried to launch the attachment. PB could not see the attachment, of course, because running as a differnt user, it did not have permission to view my documents. PB then gave the error "Message. The requested file does not exist. It may have been moved or deleted. OK"

I just don't understand why PB could either create a brain file, or add an attachment (link?), using locations you or it would not have proper permissions for.
Jeanluc
Hi Tim

Thank you for your reply , please find answer to your questions here :

//// 1) create a new brain (is this new brain in your home directory or somewhere else?)

--> This time ( after installing under Root shell )  brain is located  here:
/home/MyUserName , because I closed the SU session after installation before launching PB , so PB have full access to this brain normally

//// 3) add a thought attachment to the child thought.

( - what kind of attachment?

- where is the attachment? Does your instance of PB have permission to access it?)"

--> In fact the third step for we was only to try opening  Thought folder in order to add any attachement , but I got the message posted above.

Best regards
Jean Luc

tcahill
Puzzled, puzzled, puzzled, Jeanluc.

I feel like we are missing something that is very obvious. It has me pacing the floor. I'm going to go and work on some fence posts and think about it.

cheers.
Jeanluc
Yes Tim
I'm in the same situation . I posted the output.log fine to Harlan for both problem ( mac and linux ) , maybe he will be more lucky than us .

On mac I will try to fix the authorization then try again and try to instal brain in a new session to ss what's happend .

For now , I will just have some tea and change my mind a little bit
Thanls a lot for your time

Jean Luc

Harlan
Hi Jean Luc,

I think this problem should be resolved in PB 4.0.4.9 - it fixes the problem with Open Thought Folder that was present across all OSes, including Windows (the command did not work if no attachments had ever been added to any thoughts within a Brain) as well as the Linux specific issue of not knowing what command to use to open a thought folder.

Hopefully this does the trick...
Regards,
-Harlan

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software