anakon
Hi Guys,

I have just bought the Pro Edition today and am having a series of problems that I would appreciate some help with.
Before I start though, the new layout looks great and is much easier to work with than v3. Well done!

I am using windows XP and the latest version of the Pro Brain.

1. I have added a number of pfd attachments and am trying to get them indexed. The indexing functionality seems to be working for only some of the files, but not all of them. The pfd files are Oracle manuals and other technical documents.
This was one of the main reasons why I bought this upgrade, so I hope you will be able to help.

2. The importing process (from my v3 brain to v4) was not very successful. Many thought came across without their contents - which was quite sad for me. When I reopened the brain file in v3, the thoughts has become empty, so something wierd had happened here. The thought contents include just plain text as well as web documents.

3. When adding data into a thought with copy/paste, the paste function sometimes does not work! Very strange. Also, when I tried to use the courier new font, the font was not 'fixed' (I was copying/pasting text from a unix screen via vmware. This functionality works for all my other Windows apps).

Any help wpould be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Adrian.
mcaton
Adrian,

Thanks for contacting us.

PDF files can be tricky.  Many times, the text is actually a graphic, or "outlined" image that cannot be indexed.  Actual text based pdfs should be indexing fine.  Can you send me a copy of one of the files that won't index for you?

Regarding the PB3 import, I would recommend that you create a NEW PB4 Brain file and try the import again.  Then verify if there are any thoughts in 3 that have attachments, that did NOT show up in the new 4 file.  You can also check to see if there is any change between the 2 new PB4 files.  Also, your PB3 Brain would not have been changed or edited in any way during the conversion process, so I doubt this was the cause of the missing content.

I'm not sure about the Copy/Paste from Unix screen with VMware.  We'll see if we can set up a test environment to check that out.

Thank you,
Matt
anakon
HI Matt,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I have sent you some pdf's that arte no working. It looks like any pdf file larger than 10mb fails to index.

If you need any more info please let me know.

Thanks,

Adrian.
mcaton
Adrian,

Thanks for the note.  I didn't receive any files.  They may have been blocked by my email.  The file size is a significant indicator to the problem though.  I'll create some large PDFs and see if we can duplicate from there.

Thank you,
Matt
anakon
Hi Matt,

If you go to Oracle's site at http://tahiti.oracle.com, you can find a large number of big pdf files you can download and try out.

Cheers,

Adrian.
anakon
HI Matt,

Just wanted to know how things are going with the indexing issue I've been having. Have you had any luck replicating it?

Thanks,

Adrian.
mcaton
Adrian,

Thanks for your assistance and notifying us of this issue.  I've been able to replicate some irregularities with searching large PDF files (20+ megs in my case).  I've reported this issue to our engineers and we'll be looking at a solution for future release.

Thank you,
Matt
anakon
Hi Matt,

Thanks for getting back to me.

One thing that I wanted to add is that on the Oracle site (tahiti.oracle.com), some of the pdf's are over 50mb in size - and also the pdf's that I do want to index. It might be worth testing the solution with a few of these beasties just to be sure... .

By the way, do you have an idea when a fix will become available?

Many Thanks for your help Matt.

Cheers,

Adrian.
Terzo

Version 4.1.2.7

November 14, 2007

• Fixes...
    • "When auto hide is enabled, the maximum window size is controlled"

- this is are not good idea.

- In the screen 15.4" on the Laptop working area turn very tight when "the maximum window size is controlled". Before I stretch TheBrain window on all screen even over Taskbar. But now PB window is 2" (5 sm.) up and more small. This is very unconfortable! 

- If it is posible make this to options in preference. Like this "Lock (or fix) maximum window size"

anakon
Hi Guys,

Could you please give me an update on the indexing issues that I wrote about earlier.

Have you been able to make any progress?

Thanks,

Adrian.

anakon
HI Guys,

Could I have an update on the indxing issue please.

I did ask some time earlier but received no reply.

One of the big attractions (for me) of 'The Brain' was it's pdf indexing functionality. For a few months now, I have not been able to use this in a useful way, which I do find a little disappointing.

If you could please let me know how this issue is progressing, that would be great.

Thanks,

Adrian.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software