agnor
I've been trying to figure out how to put all my quotes that I come across into my Brain.  My software before the brain was a wiki (A modification of Eddie's Wiki, to be exact), and in there I just had a list of quotes, much like dumping them into a text file.

I finally decided to solve my problem one way or another, and here's what I came up with.

One thought per quote.

Give each thought the type of "quote".

Paste the quote into the thought's notes (I usually try to use internally-attached text files for everything instead of the notes, but this is an exception, and hopefully you will see why)

Using the reports feature, pull up a list of all thoughts with the "quote" type.

Edit ->  "Add Report Results To Selection"

Edit -> "Copy thoughts" to get the entire thought XML to the clipboard.  Now we have the entire note in XML form, including the text in the notes.

Paste it into a document on my computer and run a perl script I wrote to strip out everything except the quote text itself.  The result is a single text document with all my quotes in it, so I get the best of both worlds:  quotes interlinked in the brain, and a single (aggregate) document with all of them.

I'm using windows xp, with ActiveState perl installed.  You'll need perl installed to be able to run this script, and those of you on mac/linux will no doubt need to make some OS/Filesystem tweaks to it, but I present it in case it's helpful to anyone.

scoutee
My Brain just exploded!!!! i'll try again soon.

looks good.
"It is better to be a soldier´s widow than a coward´s wife"
"The onset of bayonets in the hands of the valiant is irresistible"
"Semper Fidelis"
"Always Faithful"
"Veni, Vidi, Vici"
(I came, I saw, I conqured)
agnor
Did you have problems getting it to work?
mosaic

very enlightening. Is there a way of manipulate the XML file, then import it back into the brain?

Brain Matters!
-------------------------
Profile 1 - PB:4.5.0.8
Java: 1.6.0_07
Profile 2 - PB:4.5.0.6
Java: 1.6.0_06
agnor
Myself and others have left comments on various posts about generating/importing xml.  If you search, you should be able to find them.

For the most part, custom-writing xml for importation is a chore, and editing already-existing thoughts via XML would be even more so--if it's possible at all, which I don't think it is.

My solution is one-way only:  quotes get put into the Brain, as normal, and then I generate an aggregate list via the method I outlined.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software