metta
Several years ago ZenRain mentioned "TheBrain folks have stated that adding a lot of text under the same thought will slow things down".

I use the notes function extensively in TB8, and I definitely have speed issues in my V8 megabrain (29,000+ thoughts).

In light of this, I'm wondering:
  • Will slowed performance with extensive notes be a potential issue in TB9?
  • Or will improved speed be one of the benefits of using the new notes editor in TB9?
  • Or is it still too early in the TB9 life cycle to be able to tell if heavy notes use will create speed/performance issues?

If possible, I'd just like to plan ahead for how I'll use the notes function when I eventually begin using TB9 on an ongoing basis.

Thanks.
shatcher
Metta,

So far TB 9 seems to handle large notes faster than TB 8. Realistically there is such a thing as too much text in the notes. However, performance issues are highly dependent on the specs of your machine, so some users may experience slowdown while others never run into slowdown issues. Please let us know if you do experience slowdown while using TB 9.

Cheers, Sean
metta
Thanks, Sean.

Slowdown and freeze issues have been reported, brz file has been shared, and Matt is overseeing my support request.

At this point, however, the slowdown issues I'm experiencing with TB9 are not likely related to the amount of data in my notes. (There are not that many notes, and none of the notes are very big.)

Once I get TB9 up and running again, I will be cautious about adding too much data into my notes from this point forward, since I'm not sure how easy it would be to troubleshoot a problem related to oversized notes.
zenrain
It's pretty easy to troubleshoot as the slowdown occurs whenever that thought is in the plex, and it then speeds up when it isn't. [smile]
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.230
metta
Oh, thanks, ZenRain!

With all the slow down issues I've had in TB8, I've never, ever noticed this -- and now, in light of your feedback, I'm wondering if the cause of the speed issues in my V8 mega brain may NOT be related to the notes after all. I had always assumed my heavy use of the notes was at least a factor -- but, in my brain, the speed issues do not seem to correspond with specific thoughts at all.

For example, my mega brain is often VERY slow to "wake up" and navigate in after having been docked for any length of time. Also, pushing the limits on my RAM memory does (understandably) seem to tax TB8, as well.

I also have reason to believe there may be some other corruption issues in my megabrain (the deep search hasn't worked in years, and the web indexing turns on spontaneously all by itself), so chances are good there are multiple variables at play in my megabrain's less than stellar performance.
metta
Also, ZenRain, I'm now wondering: Is your feedback on this speed issue based on first-hand experience in TB8 or TB9 -- or both?
zenrain
TB 8 for notes. I believe in TB 9 I've had the equivalent of a 13 page pdf in the notes with approx. 3 images and didn't see much slowdown. It's been a while though. However, I've since converted to .pdf so I haven't tested recently.
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.230
metta
Interesting! Very helpful feedback, ZenRain.

Somehow I was under the (perhaps mistaken?) assumption (from earlier/older forum posts) that you didn't use the notes very intensively in TB8 because of slow down and/or retrievability issues.

Helps immensely to know you've pushed the limit on this in both TB8 and TB9 -- and I'll look forward to any updates on this in the days ahead as you learn/discover more about how your V9 brains are running.
zenrain
I used to use notes intensively, but never more than 2 pages worth.  I'm actually getting a lot more out of notes in v9 because it's quick and easy to add stuff and format it so they look nice. There's a bit less power in some areas (I believe you've ran into them), but what is there makes it very simple to create good looking and easy to read notes.
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.230
metta
Good to know! Thanks for the additional clarification. :-)
shatcher
Alex, Metta,

I'm always glad to hear about real usage tests from our users. When ever I test for slowdown (or any other issue) I have to fake up some data, Thoughts, or events and test that way. Many times I think that I don't see the issue because my test Brain is newly generated, or not as large as the Brain of the person reporting the bug. So thank you for sharing your usage experience with us and others.

Cheers, Sean

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software