igoldsmid
LINK LABELS
I am used to (semantic) links having directionality - for example: Mind Mapping [Thought] is a pet subject of [link]  Chuck Frey [Thought] - where the link arrow points in the direction of Chuck Frey. If I am to label a link using that example, "is a pet subject of" then that is confusing because PB Thought links don't have directionality, or an "Inverse" whereby the link label in the other direction from Chuck Frey to Mind Mapping would read "has the pet subject".

I can see that some links could have meaningful labels, but to use labels with more of a formal semantic meaning that is consistent across an entire brain is something I am not presently grokking..

Anyone have any advice or guidance here?

LINK TYPES
I am struggling here to envisage what I can do with link types in using them in a consistent and somewhat formal way to add semantic meaning consistently to the entire brain?

I am used to the subject predicate object method as in "Semantic Networks" or RDF - and although I am using PB 4  now for pretty much everything,  I would like to find ways to use  Link  Labels and Link Types consistently and meaningfully, in some sense in a formally semantic way in my "Brain"

So I'd totally appreciate any feedback/comments,

Thanks

Ian

IJG
tcahill
I am not familiar with the "subject predicate object method" but I read your post with considerable interest (it is a topic that I am running into quite a bit lately) as I was struck by how much your treatment of directionality has an obvious parallel with verb treatments of subject and object.

To say "is a pet subject of" requires a subject and an object. In language, we depend either upon context (which can be quite ambiguous) or upon the rules of order to distinguish what is the pet subject, and who's pet subject it is. Because the brain plex is non-directional, both approaches break down.

### Pragmatic Approach ###

Use commas in child thoughts to add context to your plex. For example in PB, the child thought "Chuck Frey, pet projects", appears differently depending upon whether or not its parent thought: "Chuck Frey" is active. (Try this if you are unfamiliar with the method). So, I can associate many discrete subset aspects of Chuck Frey, each as an independent child thought of Chuck Frey. Then, I can create the thought "Leprechaun rehabilitation" with a thought type of "worthy causes", and link it to "Chuck Frey, pet projects". This contextually preserves the direction of the link.

I've gone a long way using this approach. With some restructuring, you find your major thoughts principally linked directly to sub-category thoughts that each collect the details relevant to that subcategory.

### Feature request approach ###

In a plex with very specific and narrow goals, one might create a thought "Chuck Frey" (thought type "subject"), linked (with a link type "pet project of") to thought "Mind Mapping" (thought type "object"). But what if you wish at the same time to represent "Mind Mapping benefits from directional semantic links". Then "Mind Mapping" is the subject and "directional semantic links" is the object. We need "Mind Mapping" to have two thought types to make this technique work. And as the number of links increases, it is reasonable to expect that the number of link types and thought types required would expand also. Is it then reasonable to conclude that thought types are most meaningful in relation to the thought's links?

In PB, thought types currently are assigned monolithically ( a thought has one and only one thought type, no matter what context the links to the thought seek to establish). In the real world and in our minds, items are rather more relative, so PB might benefit if thoughts could have an unlimited number of thought types as properties, and if the thought type displayed could be dependent upon the link type context.

What would that look like? Perhaps a thought might have a small cloud of thought/link type properties hovering about it, with each property in proximity to the link for which it is relevant.

Be vewy quiet. I'm hunting wabbit.
igoldsmid
thanks for the 'comma' technique: "Thought, context aware sub Thought" - quite cool! And also for your further discussion points - appreciated.

It'll be interesting to hear from thebrain team about their ideas/plans relative to this post.

IJG
Harlan
TheBrain's link structure is really a cross between a directed and non-directed graph.

Child/parent links are directed and links made in this context can be "read" in one direction only. Parent > Link > Child. That is, if the link is treated as a verb, the subject is the parent and the object is the child.

For jump links, there is no implied direction, so links placed here should really be able to be read in either direction.

PB4's underlying storage is built to support additional functionality for the future so that we will be able to support different link labels depending on which thought is active. This will allow greater flexibility obviously.

For formal systems, link labels should really not be used as link types allow for greater scalability.

Regards,
-Harlan
bhyl

woah, that comma technique is most excellent.  Is that documented somewhere and I just missed it, or is that a hidden feature?

bhyl
...and it appears that you can have as many generations as you want.  I created a parent called "parent" a child called "parent, child 1" and a grandchild called "parent, child 1, grandchild 1" and when "child 1" has focus all you see for the grandchild is the last part of the name.

Now I'm wondering how many other cool undocumented or documented but obscure features I'm missing..., and here I thought I was a pseudo power-user!
Harlan

This feature also exists in PersonalBrain 3 and is documented in the manual there. It has been added to the list of tips also for PB4.

Regards,
-Harlan
FransJehoul
hi,

In the forum "PersonalBrain Uses" there is a Topic called "Structuring knowledge: types, supertypes, keywords, Labels" with discussions about this Topic. I like/wish to know more about these topics because a good choise makes the value of a brain better.

Regard

Frans
Shiiko
Is there a rule or a method for making the comma function function?
I understood that once a parent thought is selected the child thoughts would be affected by the comma (would only see the text after the comma).   This is not happening for me all the time.  Sometimes not at all. 

Harlan
Shiiko wrote:
Is there a rule or a method for making the comma function function?
I understood that once a parent thought is selected the child thoughts would be affected by the comma (would only see the text after the comma).   This is not happening for me all the time.  Sometimes not at all. 

Redundant name removal only removes items from the name that are part of the name of the active thought. It is not based solely on the appearance of a comma - the comma is simply a delimiter to indicate which portions of the name to consider.

Regards,
-Harlan
Harlan
Adathome wrote:

I think you must added a little warning on this tip

When you want to use ESP don't use this comma technique
ESP can't find this sort of toughts  or is this a bug?

ESP finds thoughts based on what they start with. If something is later on in the name (not at the start), it will not be found by ESP.
Regards,
-Harlan
JosefBetancourt
Slight issue with comma feature.   The quick search has the same limitation as the ESP.    Create a "theBrain,techniques" as child of "theBrain", then in quick search field, type tech, the pop up list will not show this new thought.

---- Josef

Harlan
Instant activate and ESP only use the starting text of a thought for performance reasons. The ability to search in instant activate and ESP using other criteria is a feature request. Thanks.
Regards,
-Harlan

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software