metta
Recently I was troubleshooting a note-related issue in TB9 and, in the process of troubleshooting this issue, TB support recommended uninstalling TB9 and reverting to an earlier version of TB9.

Unfortunately, I made the mistake of uninstalling TB9 using a 3rd party uninstaller (Revo) -- and it deleted almost EVERY brain-related file on my hard drive (both my TB9 and TB8 files), including my TB8 megabrain (32,000+ thoughts).

Initially I attempted to restore my megabrain with a download from TB8 web brain, but after several failed attempts to download this large brain, I discovered my most successful download was incomplete. (Lots of images in notes, attached images and thought icons were missing.)

Fortunately, I backup my database almost every night, so I had a good backup copy I could use to restore my megabrain.

However, after restoring my megabrain from my most recent backup, and after assigning a new GUID, I've been unable to upload my megabrain back onto TB8 web brain server. (7 attempts and counting.)

In light of this, I would humbly like to request feedback from anyone with a large V8 brain who has had any experience either:
-- assigning a new GUID to their large brain and uploading back onto TB8 server or
-- importing their large brain into TB9 and uploading it to TB9 server.

Any insights and/or feedback you can share in response to the following questions would be extremely helpful.

Also, my apologies in advance for the complexity of this sequence of questions. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to troubleshoot and resolve this difficult upload/sync issue.

With my thanks in advance,
Metta
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
  • Did you ever have to create a new GUID for your large TB8 brain and load it back on TB8 web brain server?
    • If so, did you restore your brain from a TB8 web brain download or from a local brain backup (brain zip file)?
      • If you restored from a TB8 web brain download, were there any bugs and/or missing data in your restored brain?
      • If you restored from a local brain backup, did you have any problems syncing your large brain with TB8 web brain server?
        • If you DID have problems syncing with TB8 web brain server:
          • How did you troubleshoot this sync issue?
          • Were you eventually able to sync with TB8 web brain server again?
            • If so, what solution eventually enabled the sync to work?
  • Did you ever try to import your large brain into TheBrain 9?
    • If so, did your large brain include many attachments, images in notes and/or custom thought icons?
      • If so, did you have any problems importing your large brain into TB9?
        • If so, how did you troubleshoot this import process?
        • Were you eventually to successfully import your large TB8 into TB9?
          • If so, what solution eventually enable the import to work?
      • If you eventually succeeded in importing your large TB8 brain into TB9, did you have any problems syncing this large brain with TB9 web client?
        • If so, how did you troubleshoot this sync issue?
        • Were you eventually able to sync with TB9 web brain server?
          • If so, what solution eventually enabled the sync to work?
Quote
mctrexler
Metta, you already know this but to add to the record: 

1. I have converted my megabrain (100,000 thoughts, 50 GBs) from TB8 to TB9 (purely for testing purposes).  It took several tries (in one case all my thought icons disappeared), but it eventually succeeded and seems to have been successful.  
2.  I have tried several times to upload the TB9 version of the megabrain to the Web Client, but without success.  There are SO MANY things that can probably go wrong in uploading a 50+ GB TB that I'm really not sure how it will ever work.  It hasn't been critical to date since all my actual work is in the TB8 version of the megabrain.

Mark
Quote
metta
Thank you, Mark. I very much appreciate your confirmation on these migration/sync details.

Will look forward to feedback from any others who have related experience.
Quote
Spacenexus
Similar to Mark's experience. I've converted my megabrain twice to PB9, both for test purposes. The first time (several attempts) failed, the second after some version fixes did appear to succeed.

I've never synchronized that brain to the web client as it is now 2.3TB in size with a few thoughts to boot. The only way I might consider that is on my own servers which I might try soon.

I hope you clear that up quickly, best of luck.

Jim
@170907:
TB8022 32bit
Java 32bit Version 8 Update 141

Firefox, Office 2013 Pro Plus 32bit
64bit Win10Pro
64bit Primary Laptop, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i7
64bit Secondary Laptop, 64GB RAM, Intel Xeon E3
Brain user since zygote
Quote
metta
Thanks so much for your prompt and helpful feedback, Jim.

2.3 Terabytes is staggering indeed, and I'm quite impressed that you were able to successfully import this megabrain into TB9.

I'm also intrigued by the idea of synchronizing your megabrain with your own server. I don't have the technical experience to know what this kind of project would involve, but if you do decide to give this a try, please do keep us posted! I'd love to know what kind success you achieve, and whether or not this might be feasible for others of us to try.
Quote
zenrain
Spacenexus wrote:

I've never synchronized that brain to the web client as it is now 2.3TB in size with a few thoughts to boot. The only way I might consider that is on my own servers which I might try soon.



Wow!
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.250
Quote

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software