Cerebrum
I have three brains in TB9. When I click on the list of recent changes, I get "Nothing modified in 30 days" for two of the brains and, for the other brain, I get a list with the two thoughts that I modified today.

All three brains have had many changes in the past 30 days.
When I go to Reports, the recently modified/created thoughts show up at the top of the list when I sort by Date. There's no problem with the thoughts themselves.

Yesterday, everything worked fine. The only thing that changed, as far as I can tell, is the new version: 9.0.242.0.
mcaton
Cerebrum,

Thanks for posting. Updating the app should certainly not clear out the history of recent changes. I only tested upgrading from 9.0.240 though.  Do you recall your previous version?

Thanks,
Matt
Harlan
I’d guess there’s a display or query issue as the modification logs are never cleared. Please try taking a look at the history for some of the thoughts where you made changes and see if the modification logs show there. If they do and don’t in the recent changes list then it that would help us track down the issue. 
Regards,
-Harlan
Visud
Yesterday I updated to 9.0.242.0. The History showed then only the current day. Now I can see yesterday and today in the history but not older issues. In the individual thoughts history older events can be seen.

Regards

Markku

MacOS High Sierra
Cerebrum
Harlan wrote:
Please try taking a look at the history for some of the thoughts where you made changes and see if the modification logs show there. 
Just like Visud, I see the history for individual thoughts but there's nothing in the "Recent changes list" before January 30.
mcaton
Cerebrum,

Thanks for the update. What is your operating system?

Thank you,
Matt Caton
Cerebrum
Windows 10 Pro.
mcaton
Thank you everyone for the additional information. We're looking deeper into this issue now.

Matt
Harlan
This problem has been fixed in 9.0.246. The cause was the Brain Theme dialog inserting unimportant changes that are not displayed by the recent changes dialog. The fix prevents these insertions from happening. As a result, the recent changes list will not correct itself immediately but will be correct moving forward.
Regards,
-Harlan
Cerebrum
I updated to 9.0.260 and I've lost all my "recent changes" except for one Thought, which is the most recently created thought.

The history for individual thoughts is still available.

FWIW, I use TB9 on two computers, one at home and one at work, and I sync regularly. All of the thoughts that I've recently created on my home computer show up on my work computer.
Harlan
Did you try out all of the new themes in .260? If so, most likely what happened is that the history entries inserted by clicking through all the new themes crowded out your other changes. The fix that was made for this issue in .246 reduced the number of history entries inserted when changing themes, but did not eliminate them completely. This means that if you make a very large number of theme changes, such as by clicking through all of the themes, the result will be that the recent changes is empty.

FYI, history is stored separately from the changes themselves, so the two are not really connected in that respect.
Regards,
-Harlan
Cerebrum
Yes, I clicked on each new theme to check out the appearance. 
Why would this "crowd out" my other changes? I don't see any record of my theme changes.

I just tried changing the theme and there was no change to my list of recently changed thoughts.

Edited: I'm not disputing that trying the new themes is what led to the loss of history. It's clear that's what happened.
Harlan
Changing themes inserts into the list of modification logs that are used to build the recent changes display. These changes are automatically hidden from view however. For performance reasons, the number of logs that are considered when building the display is limited. Thus the issue. In the future we may build a more sophisticated recent changes list that allows the user to keep querying further into the past.
Regards,
-Harlan
Cerebrum
Okay, let me get this straight:
  1. Clicking on a theme adds entries to a list of modification logs. 
  2. These entries are not visible in the "recent changes" list.
  3. These entries affect what is visible in the "recent changes" list.

A few questions:
  • Given that theme changes don't show up in the "recent changes" list, why do they affect what's actually visible in that list?
  • Why are theme changes stored in a list that is primarily for data changes?
  • Why are entries added to a modification log when merely clicking on a theme? There should be a difference between previewing a theme and setting a theme.

Given that the "recent changes" list is affected by selecting a theme, there should be some indication that this will happen, especially when a new version is released with new themes.
Harlan
Yes, ideally, this would not happen. For performance reasons it does. The recent changes list is designed to display immediately favor immediacy. It's not that hard to fix, it's just not high on the priority list.
Regards,
-Harlan

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software