eeik
Hi team, I'm curious if you guys have / are considering re-purposing this large portion of the chrome noted in the attached image? ÃƒÂ°Ã…¸â€˜â‚¬

Wasted Chrome.png 
I love the tabbed brain feature to allow multiple views of one brain or multiple brains, but that space below it is problematic for me (i.e. not super useful and wasteful of plex real-estate). Since, by default, the search feature engages when one begins typing while the plex is selected, the "mouse up and click into the search box" flow is likely to be rarely exercised. Also, the "back/forward" thought navigation options are duplicated on mice with back/forward features, and the access to tags, types, font-size, and plex view-type are less frequently used (the 20 in the 80/20 rule for sure) or more quickly accessed with hot-keys.

Can we more intelligently re-purpose this space? Enable it to be pinned "on" or "hidden"? Integrate new more commonly used features within (i.e. MS Explorer's "ribbon", etc.?) If it is possible to remove this, then my inquiry might be a moot point ... please tell me how I can disable it if so.

Microsoft's ribbon was introduced to deal with too much clutter in their Office products and they expose a great deal of functionality within the same space thoughtfully grouped. They continue to evolve this action space under their "fluent design principles" banner.

Perhaps we can implement some of this in TheBrain to make better use and add a more fluid feel to these areas above the plex?

I'd be happy to work with you guys on this ÃƒÂ°Ã…¸â€™Â¡
... former MSFT'ee and UX/product designer here, at your service, to help support the research and design!
eeik
And, I suppose to add to this, when maximizing my brain experience (double click plex), instead of a rich "full screen" experience, I'm tripping up over why there are in fact 6 discrete horizontal areas that are unused. I understand the need to incorporate various feature sets within the application, but for a "full screen" experience, I'd challenge the team to come up with a more Microsoft UWP like experience where full screen is in fact full screen.

6 Discrete Spaces.png 

#1 - the windows app container itself (can be eliminated ... e.g. F11 in most web browsers)
#2 - File menu bar ... only occupies fraction of the screen to the left for the 7 menus ... i use these *maybe* once in a blue moon on a leap year
#3 - brain tabs ... blank from left to right unless you have *many* brains open at once ... may be the hardest to remove, but in all seriousness ... [CTRL] + [TAB] does the trick (again, just like web browsers) so full-screen brain mode could remove this or engage it when hovering near top with mouse
#4 - this is the original space I was noting in my initial post on this thread
#5 - this is the area for pinned thoughts ... when in full-screen mode, the entire right portion of the plex is blank if you don't have tons of pins ... perhaps offering up "most frequently accessed thoughts" following a nice and obvious "|" character of some sort and applying an appropriate visual treatment to indicate that they are "generated" pins of potential usefulness would be a nice touch
#6 - this is the plex itself finally ...

Personally, I'd love to see 1 - 4 completely removed in full-screen plex mode with #5 expanded with suggested thoughts. Historically traversed thoughts at the bottom of the screen are great and fill out the full experience with meaningful breadcrumbs.

Thoughts? Let's discuss!
Cerebrum
Good suggestions! Ã°Å¸â€˜Â
metta
I am all for the efficient use of screen space in TheBrain interface.

However, I respectfully disagree with the recommendation to rely on hot key access for the aforementioned menu and toolbar features: "the 'back/forward' thought navigation options are duplicated on mice with back/forward features, and the access to tags, types, font-size, and plex view-type are less frequently used (the 20 in the 80/20 rule for sure) or more quickly accessed with hot-keys."

Most new new brain users are far less likely to use hot keys than many of the power users here in this forum, and I don't think it is wise to hide still more features from the new and average users, especially when a User Guide is not yet available.

I myself have been a dedicated brain user for over 6 years, and I use all of the aforementioned features quite frequently. (I am also not familiar with the back/forward mouse navigation option mentioned above.)

In addition, my pin bar is always filled with intentionally selected pins in virtually ever brain I create, so I would not want my chosen pins to be replaced by "most frequently accessed thoughts."

In fact, some users here in the forum have requested that even more real estate be dedicated to pins (see the following discussions), so I wouldn't want to what pin space we already have to be reduced or eliminated:
> Pin Rows
> Pin Menu
leolit
Well, there is good way to resolve all this needed/not needed dispute:
a) by default, the plex is just as it is now
b) in Preferences you can toggle the visibility of any of these zones as you wish
c) you have key combinations that can be used if the zone is not visible to have access to its content or temporarily make it visible.

Some people need some of the features and could completely ditch others. For example, I use only one brain for everything, so yes, it would be good for me to recycle the space reserved for tabs. And I always have Notes section open on the right side of the screen, so above it the search bar and its icons fit all right, but most of the icons on the left side (Home, Types etc.) are only rarely used and I'd better just go to the upper menu for them. But that is probably too much to do right now for developers, so just make these areas togglable would be good enough 🙂
metta
+ 1 for toggling these options -- Good solution, leolit, for meeting a variety of needs and use cases. ðŸ™‚
Cerebrum
leolit wrote:
I use only one brain for everything, so yes, it would be good for me to recycle the space reserved for tabs.
Multiple tabs can be used for different views and different points of entry for the same brain. This goes beyond Pinned Thoughts and allows a quasi-compartmentalization of a megabrain. Tabs would be even more useful if they were persistent entities with saved attributes. See Tab Names.
Harlan
Interesting thread. Thanks for the feedback.

Presentation mode in V10 hides all of the rows, 1 through 4 by default. Also, I believe that if you do not create any pins, the space for them is not used, so you can have the true “full screen” experience.
Regards,
-Harlan
eeik
I like the sound of what I'm hearing Harlan. I don't recall how exactly presentation mode used to work (pre v9) but I do seem to recall its available feature set was somewhat limited in the "editing thoughts" department. Is it conceivable that presentation mode in v10 would be a mode that one might be able to use as their "normal" mode, or would the toggle into and out of presentation mode be necessary for thought modification?

Perhaps a "hybrid-mode", or user preference toggles (as suggested above) to make "normal" mode a bit closer to "presentation" mode as I've implied above might be something the team could consider?
Harlan
Presentation mode is fully usable for editing. The main difference is that is maximizes usage of the screen real estate. The only reason you might not want to use it all the time if you don’t need the toolbar is that the window is full screen and the Windows Taskbar is hidden. 
Regards,
-Harlan
Harlan
FYI, among recent v10 improvements is the ability to merge the menu bar into the same row as the title bar on Windows. It’s one of the first items in the preferences dialogue. 
Regards,
-Harlan

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software