pderwael

Hi all,

Can someone tell me what the release policies are for beta and stable versions ?

If I remember well, beta are only running for 30 days.
This means that every 30 days max, there should be another beta or stable release available. Is this correct?
If not, is it always possible to switch back to the lower stable version ? (5.0.4.0 in this case)

Also, do you have any release calendar, or are the new versions simply made available whenever they are ready ?

Background: I'm dying to use some functionality that will be available in 5.5, but I still hesitate to do it the "beta way"...

Thanks

PB 5.5.2.4 on WinXP SP2
Webbrain: http://www.webandco.be/it-governance/
zenrain
The beta release version is good for 30 days, after which it expires. In all the beta releases PB has gone through since 4.0.x I've never seen a beta expire before another release (either beta or final) has been made available.

There is no public release calendar, and as far as I can tell, a new one is posted when ready, and when all new features have been introduced and it's stability is equivalent to the current release version they start doing release candidates.
Those usually go on for a bit until most of the remaining kinks are ironed out. Then it replaces the last stable release version.

The beta is currently in it's first release candidate, although there are still some issues that need to be ironed out. Mainly with the indexing, a calendar snooze issue, some expanded view overlapping, and probably more stuff that I can't think of right now. As far as the database, it's stable, but upgrading to 5.5 will require upgrading your 5.0 data, and it's not backwards compatible, so use your best judgement, and if you take the plunge, make sure to make a brainzip first.

If it helps, as far as I can tell, a large percentage of the active forum posters have been using the beta for quite some time.

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
BHurd
My experience has been that the beta's may have bugs in them that can be frustrating or make certain things unusable for awhile, as Zenrain says, the database is stable and I have never lost any data.  I simply download the latest beta as soon as they come out.  Of course, I keep a brainzip of the last version so if there is some big blow up I could move back to the previous beta or two. 

Just brainzip 5.0 brain.  convert data to the 5.5 brain and go on.  You won't regret it.

Darkstar

I remember in the 4.0 or 4.5 beta, we did see a beta that expired. But TheBrain issued a new beta to fix that very quickly. They've been very good with the 5.0 and 5.5 betas so far, and kept us with a "fresh" version available.

-Darkstar

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software