Cerebrum
With the new feature of detecting duplicate Thought names when pasting a text outline, I'm wondering about the implications of the Replace option.

Here's the dialog box:
Capture2.jpg 

"Copy" creates another thought with the same name as an existing thought.
"Skip" ignores that piece of data in the text outline.

It gets interesting with "Replace". What happens if the existing thought:
1. Is linked to other thoughts?
2. Has a Type or Tag? (Basically the same as #1.)
3. Has an attachment?
4. Has a Note?

Seems to me that #1 preserves the links but #2 does not.
#3 will preserve the attachment unless the text outline specifies another one by using the "+" prefix, in which case the old attachment is gone.
Don't know about #4. I haven't tested it yet.

Anything else that we should know about the options?

Also, there should be a way selecting the same action for all imported thoughts. Something like what happens in Windows when you copy files from one folder and paste them into another folder:
Capture2.jpg
mcaton
Thanks for posting. If you replace when you are pasting in a text outline, the duplicate thought in the outline will be replaced with the existing Thought. Therefore, you will not lose existing connections, types, tags, notes, attachments, etc.

You may want to try this in a small sample Brain before you start using the Paste Text Outline repeatedly in a larger, 'main' Brain.

Also, I typically recommend that if you are going to be editing Thoughts in bulk, or importing large data sets, make a quick BRZ archive prior to the big change.  It only takes a second and can save you some time if you import does not go as originally planned.

If you are pasting in a large text outline and want to switch ALL Thoughts from Copy to Replace, just click on the arrow (Next to the word Thoughts) to minimize the Thought list and change the setting for ALL Thoughts.

Thanks,
Matt
Cerebrum
Thanks Matt.
mcaton
Upon further review, this is not intended behavior.  I've documented a bug.  Replace from pasting in a text outline should replace the existing Thought with the new Thought in the outline. This is a more logical process.

Thank you,
Matt

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software