Enthroned_Casket
I switched to TheBrain9 recently and no longer see a way to search/report on untyped thoughts.  Has that feature been removed or am I simply being unobservant?

zenrain
No, it's not currently available, although I think (hope) there is an enhancement request for it.
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.250
ruudhein
As you are probably aware, Enthroned, the untyped report is now available.

I'm wondering if you could share a bit more about your workflow in that area? I assume you assign a type to every thought then?
Using: Evernote | FilterizeDynalist | InstaPaper | Liner | TheBrain v10.0.30.0
Enthroned_Casket
Nice - I see the untyped thoughts report.

I assign types to every 'real' thought (heirarchical structure nested up to 7 levels deep giving ~100 types (of which most are used regularly)).  Part of that's because I want a consistant type structure between home and work for whenever I want to transfer thoughts between brains.  The other reasons are reporting and 'CSS'-esque styling.

In addition to that, an on-going experiment I'm toying with is:
  • In the middle of a task, I have a thought
  • My memory's terrible, so I just smack down a deliberately untyped thought under whatever the active thought happens to be - even though it's in no way related (shock, horror!)
  • I continue whatever I was doing without breaking flow
  • When I eventually reach the end of a stanza (or at lunch/the end of the day), I search for untyped thoughts and organize them properly.

I'm still not convinced I like the idea, and could do it using a 'Tidy' tag but hey.
ruudhein
Ah, I see!

Yeah, that's a lot of work. I'm limiting my types a lot as I want entry to be as smooth/fast as possible.

For random inbox thoughts like you do I think I would go the way of a prefix.

!!quick note

Works fast for example. Whenever you're ready, just run a report on Any with !! as search string.
zenrain
You could also type the name in the instant search, tab and press Enter to create an orphan thought. Then at the end of your day (or some other point) run the orphan though report and clean it up. 

Hmmm, I was thinking about how I do this, and I basically stop what I'm doing, press cmd + option + T (which I've assigned to Open in New Tab (under Thought in keyboard preferences). This opens a new tab with the active thought. I browse to the location I want to add the thought, add it, then close the tab and go back to my original one, which is still showing the original location. 

No, not quite as quick, but then I don't have to remember to do something afterwards to clean up.
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.250
ruudhein
Quote:
You could also type the name in the instant search, tab and press Enter to create an orphan thought. Then at the end of your day (or some other point) run the orphan though report and clean it up.

Good one! Have to be mindful to not add a "second thought" to the entry though

Quote:
I browse to the location I want to add the thought, add it, then close the tab and go back to my original one, which is still showing the original location.

Home → Inbox. I have an inbox thought because we have an inbox on iOS (maybe Android too, didn't check) but not on  the desktop. So I send stuff to the inbox, then later on go the thought Inbox and attach everything there. This way I can pick up later on and do whatever it is I need to do with those things.

Mostly I will move to the right place first though. 
metta
Appreciate the feedback and suggestions in this discussion.

FWIW, I have over 160 thought types in my mega-brain, and I rarely enter untyped thoughts unless (like ET) I'm in a hurry. While it take just a few seconds to add a type, I organize my brain display by thought type so, for me, it saves time in the long run when I know (later on) where to look in the thought type sequence to find exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks also for the tip on generating reports based on special characters, Ruud. Although I frequently use special characters to distinguish specific types of thoughts (thought headers, priority thoughts, etc.), I've not had much success using the search function to generate a list of these thoughts.

However, the report function works beautifully in this regard, and this provides a lot more flexibility now in capitalizing on the use of special characters as thought markers.

Many thanks! ðŸ™‚
metta
Also, as a variation on the standard (single) Inbox strategy, I've created a variety of "Quick Drop" boxes sorted by general categories (software, publishing, health, etc.). Makes for a quick and easy way to capture and drop in thoughts, and this preliminary sort helps with gardening later on.

However, I only use the "Quick Drop" boxes when I'm in a hurry and for items I don't need immediately. Anything time sensitive or of immediate need goes right where it belongs right at the start.
zenrain
Yes, I also have an Inbox thought that is pinned for quick capture also. And a Keyboard Maestro macro to send web pages to that inbox thought when in Safari (will open TheBrain to do so if it's closed, I still have to rely on paste there). 😃
However, I don't assign Thought Types to all my thoughts, I stopped doing it years ago because for me it wasn't worth the time investment in my actual use.
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.250
ruudhein
Quote:
I have over 160 thought types in my mega-brain

Ok, now you're just making me dead curious. What are you cataloging? Can you show a sample of your types? What, or why, is the setup such that you require or prefer to use (so many) types?

Quote:
I don't assign Thought Types to all my thoughts, I stopped doing it years ago because for me it wasn't worth the time investment in my actual use

In both my personal and work brain I use Types basically for the visual features. To make something instantly clear, visually. 
metta
Apologies, Ruud, for the delay in getting back with you on your question about my thought types.

You asked: "What, or why, is the setup such that you require or prefer to use (so many) types?"
-- I am extremely visual, and when I see a complex plex filled with plain text my eyes glaze over....so I use assigned thought types, icons and colors, along with ordering all my thoughts by type in the plex, to make it much easier and faster to find what I'm looking for in my megabrain.

I have shared a little more info about my thought strategy here, if you are interested.

You asked: "What are you cataloging? Can you show a sample of your types?"
-- In order not to completely hijack this discussion, I can create a new topic where I share screenshots of my types and explain how I use them, if you are interested. Just let me know, and I'll follow-up accordingly.
🙂
tomcal123
Metta,

I, for one, would like to see how you structure and use thought types.  I don't feel that I get as much use out of them as I should.
Cerebrum
Make that two! ðŸ˜ƒ

Thanks.
ruudhein
Definitely interested!

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software