khalilgdoura
Hi all! I have gone through this new version and yet, I am pleased by its well thought ergonomics and the overall performance, HOWEVER, the reports / advanced section look in some ways less sophisticated than before... 

1- There is no way to search untagged thoughts, untyped thoughs / links, and this is a big lack! It comes that we forget to tag thoughts and one day, we want to go back to those thoughts to define them properly, how ? now it is impossible, please bring back those options "untagged" and "untyped" 

2- In the version 8, it was possible in a custom report to search thoughts matching specific types, tags AND links types. Now this is not possible, it looks, why ? It was a powerful tool. 

3- Moreover, there is no more way to save custom reports. Some queries are a bit complicated and can be used often. 

4- Now as for the results displaying: where are the "modified," "created" and "activated" dates types of filtering ?! In the version 8, those options were very helpful in specific usage cases, and there was a column to show the modified/created/activated date. Why did you withdraw that ? 

5- Ergonomics: while trying to search thoughts matching specific tags, and knowing that I have 200+ tags, I have to scroll up and down with the mouse roller... really frustrating. There is no scrolling bar! And why not adding a search box for tags: you type the tags you remember and you have them, that's more intuitive than going through a list of hundreds of tags to choose from. 

To me and to many people who rely on TheBrain for heavy data organization, these features are really a must, please bring them back in your very next update (before the v10 !) 

Thanks for your listening! 
Harlan
Hello,

Thanks for the feedback. [smile]

V9 is a complete rewrite, so nothing has been removed - everything had to be rebuilt from scratch and the priorities were different than just those that lead to V8. Thus, many areas of V9 are improved and a few things in V9 are changed in ways that some people may not like. Reports, like everything else, was designed for performance and ease of use first and foremost.

Requests #1, #2, and #3 are pending feature requests already.

#4 is not something that anyone else has asked for and is not likely to be making a comeback since the main purpose of the display you are talking about was the ability to see the history of changes in a linear format. This has been vastly expanded and improved in V9 via the recent changes button.

#5 is actually much easier in V9. There is already a built-in search for tags (and for types too). Just click the tags button in the toolbar and start typing. Not sure what is happening with the lack of scrollbar as your describe, will have to check it out.
Regards,
-Harlan
khalilgdoura
Hello Rahlan, 

Thanks for your prompt reply. Sure, it is clear that the new version is completely outstanding in terms of design, ergonomics and performance. You did a great job!

- Points 1, 2 and 3: good that these features will be back, I hope very soon in a minor update!

- Point 4: Well, this is a level of detail that can help in case of file management, I think. Personally, I use TheBrain almost for knowledge management, but if I want to turn into an intelligent explorer of my files, those details are appreciated. 

- Point 5: Sorry I was not very clear about this point. I was still referring to the Reports section. Of course, searching a single tag or type is now much smoother, you did well! But when we need to search 2+ tags in an report, the experience becomes all the opposite. I wish the list of tags in the Report section to include a search button just like in the toolbar, or at least, a scrolling bar. Let me explain a scenario: I have already more than 220 tags, I make a report in which tags should match "A" and "Z". I have to use the mouse roller for may be 1 minutes or more to reach the last tags. That's the only way I have. Now, the list of tags can grow more and more over time.. 

Thank you! 
khalilgdoura
Hi Harlan, I would like to follow up regarding those pending features requests, features that we have been enjoying since version 4 of TheBrain for 10 years! Could you please confirm if those features - below - are going to be implemented in one of the next releases of version 9 ?  

- Reports > filter untyped thoughts 
- Reports > filter untagged thoughts

We do need these features back, in order to check thoughts we forgot to label & categorize. 

Second point, after several releases since August, I still struggle to select / check types or tags in the Report Area: there is no scrolling bar! Knowing that I have some hundreds of tags, and no touchscreen, I have to roll my mouse wheel for 1-2 minutes to select the right tags... not practical at all. Here is a screenshot to make it clear. It would be great if you can add the scrolling bar or better, a box where I can type the tags & types I need to filter my Report results.

Screenshot 2017-11-19 14.55.01.png 

Click image for larger version - Name: Screenshot 2017-11-19 14.55.01.png, Views: 96, Size: 61.72 KB
mctrexler
Khalilgdoura, thanks for making the point regarding reports.  Just FYI, I've heard from TheBrain team that their perception is that no one uses the report features.  As you note the report feature is a critically powerful part of the program, and it will be impossible for me to move to TB9 without it.  I hope other people will weigh in on this feature.  To give just one incredibly simple example, if you are sharing your screen with someone via Skype, there is now no way to hide all the confidential information you might have in your Brain.  

Mark
metta
+1 for full-featured reports. I'd hate to lose functionality we have in V8 when migrating to V9.
zenrain
I use reports between 2-6 times per week. These are the features I've missed thus far in v9

• The ability to filter on untyped thoughts
  • The ability to sort by date created, not just last modified
  • The ability to choose OR when selecting tags
  • The ability to do a reverse filter. - As a side note, the filtering function in v8 and prior was not very useful the way it was implemented, so is probably why I didn't use it. I believe I posted several enhancement requests around this. Specifically the problem was when applying filters, it was very hard to not just create a plex with just orphan thoughts. The ability to exclude thoughts from the filter with a certain type or tag would have helped, as well as tag or type thoughts (the actual thought representation of the type or tag) not being affected by the filter. 
  • The ability to report on private thoughts. 
  • Custom reports
I think robust reporting features are a must for large databases, and would love to have thoughts that represent specific queries at some point - meaning you activate a thought and it shows the results of a query you have pre-specified.

Lets face it, some of the reporting features in v8 weren't great (like the number of clicks it took to create or activate a custom report), and there are some nice reporting features in v9 that aren't in v8, but I really hope that reporting in TheBrain will receive a lot of love in a future version, because it's one of it's weaker areas.
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.230
mctrexler
You're right about the weaknesses you mention, and it is indeed frustrating to generate reports that are nothing but orphan thoughts. But we've at least been able to work around that by establishing at least one physical link to those thoughts, and then the report works "properly." Which is key to working with the expanded view and other features. But to lose all of the reporting functionality (defined as per what we're talking about here) is a huge loss.  As I've noted, the inability to reverse filter for private thoughts is a HUGE problem for even being able to demonstrate the Brain over Skype.  
zenrain

I hear you Mark. My main reason for a response was you saying that TheBrain team didn’t think the tool was used. So I included my frequency and what I personally missed. I certainly didn’t intend it to be a reflection on how everyone else used reporting, just one users observations for TheBrainTeam to consider.

Edit - further clarification, I used inverse filtering relatively frequently, my comment was specific to normal filtering.

macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.230
Harlan
Just to set the record straight, this is untrue:

mctrexler wrote:
Just FYI, I've heard from TheBrain team that their perception is that no one uses the report features.
Regards,
-Harlan
mctrexler
Harlan, it may be a matter of terminology, since we all seem to have different things in mind when we think about the reporting features of TB8.  Specifically with respect to what I'm primarily talking about, the filtering capabilities of TB8, the exact words were "infrequently or never used by most users."  That's actually probably true, since as with any powerful software lots of features are rarely used by most users, but those features can also be critical to the whole point of a software, and I would suggest that's definitely the case with "filtering." Being unable to filter out confidential or other thoughts when using TB in a meeting or in the classroom or over Skype, for example, substantially constrains the power and value of the software, even if most people don't use it that way.  

It hadn't actually occurred to me to ask before, but I'm assuming that private thoughts won't show up in TB9's web client? So the filtering is still happening there presumably. 

Thanks,

Mark
zenrain
"+1 for full-featured reports. I'd hate to lose functionality we have in V8 when migrating to V9."

There have been multiple statements about this from TheBrain team that v9 is a complete re-write from the ground up and not all features from v4-8 (which is really what we are talking about with v8 features) will make it into the v9 release. So it's already stated that some functionality will not be in there, but will be implemented in subsequent releases. On the other hand v9 has some features v8 doesn't have.

So, no hate necessary. Just a setting of expectation. 

Edit: Tried to Quote, but it then made all text a quote.
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.230
Cerebrum
Just to set the record straight, this is untrue: Harlan wrote: V9 is a complete rewrite, so nothing has been removed - everything had to be rebuilt from scratch and the priorities were different than just those that lead to V8. [wink]
zenrain
[crazy]
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.230
dlorde
+1 for full reporting features - I don't use them very often, but they're essential to regular 'spring cleaning' my brain, making sure I haven't forgotten to tag or type new thoughts & links, tidying up and checking generally.

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software