pshanks
This was also reported here but wanted to make sure that it appeared in the beta section.

Reports -> Attachments > External Attachments

If a thought has both an External attachment & a URL attachment within the same thought, it doesn't get pickup by the report.

The reverse is also true -> Reports -> Attachments -> URL attachments

If a thought has both a URL attachment & an External attachment, it doesn't pickup the thought in the report either.

If the thought only has a URL attachment(s) or an External attachment(s) the report is working fine.

Moe
Pat, Thanks. I have noted this for the engineers to look into.

Best regards,
Moe

hock
pshanks above reported a bug in brain reports .

His mail to the beta forum arose from topic raised in "how to" forum , http://forums.thebrain.com/post?id=3661739 which sought PB user advice into how PB users -- who forget what files on their computers are linked as attachments -- could audit external link attachments.

The original objective is to create brainzips in the knowledge that ALL attachments to files on the PC are current, and that with brainzips you can reliably transport both thoughts as well as all external attachment files.

We all move files, directories do outlive their purpose. We do not all keep files in the same directories. We "house clean" our computers and relocate files in new locations and directories that fit changed needs or the demands of new jobs.

Suggestions put forward by PB users proposed: Manually check on each and every of hundreds of thoughts each and every time when creating a brainzip after running a search report listing ALL "thoughts that have attachments".

I do not want to inflict having to go though each and every reported "thought that has external attachment" each and every time before I create a brainzip (which I desire to be current and without any dead links).

This issue is thus not simply about a bug, but it is also feature request (for reports) which speedily enable PB users to audit their PB's data .This is about being able to correct any dead links links to (external) files efficiently and in a user friendly way.
hock/london

Win7pro, PB 7.0.4.5, J - 1.7.0
dyslucksia
Quote:
This issue is thus not simply about a bug, but it is also feature request (for reports) which speedily enable PB users to audit their PB's data .This is about being able to correct any dead links links to (external) files efficiently and in a user friendly way.

I agree that this would be most desirable and would complement our present ability to Refresh Web Pages Index and Rebuild Icon Cache. Without wishing to be any more negative about PB's abilities than necessary, there are several important simple mass-action tasks we still cannot do yet, such as:

• Search-and-replace within all Thought names in a particular brain;
  • Filter by a particular link type;
  • Filter by a particular attachment file extension;
  • Wander in a straight line, i.e., automatically activate one Thought after another in a systematic fashion (maybe a combination of Wander and Crawl);
  • Output text file reports for the above.

As Darkstar has pointed out, making an SDK available might be one way to fast-track these necessary features.

PB 5.5.2.1 on Windows XP, J-1.6.0_17
Moe
Hock, I see your point here. I have found myself in the need for such a feature when conducting "housekeeping" in my own Brains. I have made a feature request to our developers, for a one button click to move a copy of all external attachments into PB, for easy brainzip archiving.

Best regards,
Moe

Darkstar
Moe, that would be an excellent way to meet that need. However, that still doesn't meet hock's request to have a report that can list all the missing external links. We can get a report of all the missing URL links, but not of simple file attachment links? It might be time intensive to build the report list in a highly externally linked brain, but it would be very useful. I've needed that exact thing many times over the years of my own usage of PB. At this time, the only working way to do it is manual inspection of all those thoughts.

Remember, we won't only want to drag over those links to make a brainzip. We could just be looking for broken links to project documents, for instance. Or old file shortcuts that can be pruned (if too old) or updated (if they just changed drives, for instance, because we've upgraded our computer).

PersonalBrain does well with managing and organizing many kinds of data--- but it has forgotten to give us the same kind of "verification" on our own hard-drives that it gives us for web pages, and that would be VERY handy to have.
-Darkstar
MikeA
I strongly support with Pat and Darkstar's suggestion for a "missing external links" report. I uses links to external files extensively, and have been frustrated when I cannot find an attachment because of a broken link. (Murphy's Law - this seems this happen in embarrassing situations.)

With the missing link report, I can easily find and fix broken links before I go into a potential embarrassing situation.
-Michael
PB 6.0 Pro
JVM 1.6.0.23
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
hock
Moe,

Darkstar's summery of what is required is spot on.

One -- but not the only -- reason why I do not want ALL external attachments moved into PB is because the external attachment files include numerous massive video files.

I do not know what it would take to code so that (audit) reports can locate and report all the following:-
  • all external attachment files (implemented with bugs)
  • all missing external attachment files
  • all external attachment files of (or above or under) a given size
Using PB since 2001 i continue to admire how Harlan and Co, as well as the user community, have made PB better and better.

One issue which developments have yet to resolve is PB's historic non-user-friendliness when users move PB-linked files around on their computers.

Many thanks

hock/london

pshanks
This issues not resolved yet in PB5507-b

Another reason for this external attachment reports was also discussed here.
Moe
@hock, Thanks you for the post. I have modified the logged feature suggestion to include the functionality requested.

@pshanks, Thanks for posting. Regarding the issue raised in the first thread of this post. This is still an open issue which is being looked into.

Best regards,
Moe

hock
Hi Mo,

Could you please update us on progress regards resolving PB's historic, non-user-friendliness when users move PB-linked files around on their computers.

The reporting feature request was to enable PB users to audit their PB's data.

It is a request for reports which find and allow correcting any (dead = 0 KB) links to (external) files in an efficient and in a user friendly way.

The objective is to facilitate auditing one's Brains and also the creation of portable brainzips which contain ALL attachments.

Without auditing facility and a speedy mechanism for correcting missing attachment files, users suffer from creating defective brainzips which give links to 0 KB attachments files.

Users do move a files on their computers, and it would be great if PB developers would make it possible to deal with users moving files that are linked (as attachment) to PB's internal database in a comprehensive and efficient manner.

Thanks again
hock/london

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software