TheGrimReaper
PB version 4.0.8.9
Java J-1.6.0-02
Windows XP SP2

Hello there, 

Firstly congratulations on the new release  

You might be interested in this...  As can be seen on the screen capture, the stats give me 11000 +  thoughts, however, when I use the report function with a full spectrum thought list,  parameters : all thoughts,  all dates,  listed by name,  only 5000 thoughts appear. The message "some matches may not appear, narrow the criteria" is puzzling, since I precisely want to have all thoughts listed,  so I shouldn't be considering narrowing anything ? correct ?  Thanks in advance for looking into this.

Harlan
Hello,

Glad you are enjoying the new release. Thanks for your feedback.

The reports will not list more than 5,000 thoughts at any one time. This limit is intentional as showing more than 5,000 thoughts in the reports window would cause the reports to slow down and run into memory issues. PB4 is designed to scale to hundreds of thousands of thoughts, so listing them all is not really an option.

What is it that you are trying to accomplish with the reports? Perhaps we can suggest and alternative way to meet your needs.

Regards,
-Harlan
Spacenexus

It's not something I had thought of before but why not just add a preference option to have 'limit to maximum 5,000 thoughts in report'?

In reality, it will be sometime before any of us reach the hundreds of thousands of thoughts, and corresponding hardware and memory issues are likely to be addressed at normal growth rate to allay those concerns.

In the meantime any power users who might use choose PB4 over EKP for addressing large datasets would simply have to consider current high memory systems anyway whichever version they chose.

I would be very interested to have the unrestricted reports option.

cheers

Jim

@181218:
TB8022 32bit
Java 32bit Version 8 Update 141

Firefox, Office 2013 Pro Plus 32bit
64bit Win10Pro
64bit Primary Laptop, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i7
64bit Secondary Laptop, 64GB RAM, Intel Xeon E3
Brain user since zygote
Harlan
Maybe I'm just dense, but what is the benefit of seeing more than 5,000 thoughts in a list? You will never be able to look at it effectively or really do anything with it as far I can image...

The idea behind reports is to create a list of things that is useful somehow - to be used as a filter, to see what's happening, or to give you some other insight. A list of everything does not do me any good, does it?

Regards,
-Harlan
Spacenexus
It's a fair point, but as an example off the top of my head i just created an all thoughts report, sorted by date and the earliest created date (5000 thoughts ago) that I can view is from 23 Sep 2006, the first actually being created in 1998.

If PB4 is scalable to hundreds of thousands of thoughts the question becomes why would you NOT want unlimited functionality in the reports output? We shouldn't predefine use based upon restriction of purpose. I might want to view all thoughts created in January 2003 during the period of a particular project. Someone using PB4 for mapping a genome might actually require a report of all sequences. Any limitation of 5,000 or 5,000,000 becomes arbitrary.

It's not a question of seeing as many thoughts as possible for its own sake, its more a case of being able to access the data set without limits in order to obtain the information required. Coupled with reports export to spreadsheet, database or wordprocessor (http://forums.thebrain.com/tool/post/thebrain/vpost?id=2041306) it enhances another powerful tool in PB4's armoury of extraordinary capability.

cheers

Jim

@181218:
TB8022 32bit
Java 32bit Version 8 Update 141

Firefox, Office 2013 Pro Plus 32bit
64bit Win10Pro
64bit Primary Laptop, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i7
64bit Secondary Laptop, 64GB RAM, Intel Xeon E3
Brain user since zygote
TheGrimReaper
Hi there Harlan, Hi Jim,

Thanks for your prompt reply. I concur with Jim, aside from the possible uses he listed and his very interesting opening about report export capability;  it is very useful for me to be able to scroll down through the list of all my thoughts, it gives me a holistic view of what is inside the plex that I cannot obtain in any other way. I can thus very rapidly scan my thought list and jump to whatever attracts my attention, or even realize I have doubles that I can work on eliminating on the go.

It is an alternative holistic way of browsing or reviewing the brain, and a tool for maintaining it if you will.  That is for the utility question mark you raised Harlan.

Both those uses are not available anymore if I cant have a holistic view, ie all thoughts listed capability. 

I also understand your point of view, when you're looking at it from computer resources (I believe you mentioned memory and processing)  in regard of scalability, but as Jim mentioned,  I believe it will be years before any of us, individual users, reaches several hundred of thousands thoughts.

The largest brain I have heard of contain 70 000 thoughts, surely took years to make. By the time we have brain files that would challenge actual  PC performances, computers will have changed, computers will have become TheBrain if you see where I'm getting at .

Last thing, a report of all thoughts listed by date of creation really gives you a unique peek into the evolution or making of your brain, isn't that wonderful and worthwhile ? To see how you started with your first thought and where you end up years after ?

Regards,

The Reaper.
Harlan
there are other ways of accomplishing what you want that will allow us to still scale things seamlessly. We'll address this in a future release.
Regards,
-Harlan
tcahill
Harlan wrote:
Maybe I'm just dense, but what is the benefit of seeing more than 5,000 thoughts in a list?

I'm pretty sure as soon as any developer asks a question like that, there will be plenty of volunteers eager to aid in illuminating the subject. I'm thinking an analogy might be of someone at the phone company asking why the phone book could possibly need to provide more than the first 5000 customers, listed alphabetically.

So, it might be that I'd like to see all thoughts with names beginning with letters Q through Z, and as I don't have an option to generate that report, I'd have to see them all. I've worked on non-profit and political phone trees where we'd divide up long lists with more than 5000 contacts on it. (Print reports SVP)

Also, I have a file with more than 5000 thoughts in it and I do often take recourse to random perusing of the reports list to see if there are any tantalizing thoughts I've overlooked that might be sequestered away in some rarely visited corner of the plex. I put things in PB so I can find them later, or be caused to remember them later. A list is perhaps the most basic and reliable of interfaces. I've worked in enough places where monthly or annual 20,000 page reports (that you can be sure no one ever read) were mandatory requirements. Just look at the latest AT&T bills.
Be vewy quiet. I'm hunting wabbit.
Harlan
This is in the queue, thanks for all the response.
Regards,
-Harlan

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software