danlandrum
Maybe this is just the way it has to be, but if you have a document stored on iCloud Drive, an iThoughts mind map for instance, it can't be attached to a thought until the document is closed. To Reproduce:

Open an iThoughts mind map from iCloud Drive
Click the + button in the attachment pane and select Link to File
Result is error warning
Resolve by closing the document first
Expected behavior is that it would create the link, but as an alternative it could generate a warning that the file "appears to be open and will need to be closed first," or some such message.

My guess is that this is a product of documents that autosave and remain is some open state, rather than opening when saving and then closing again. 
OSX 10.13 
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
3.3 GHz Intel Core i5
32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
pthompson
Dan,

Are you sure this isn't a limitation of the iThoughts software? I've tried linking to an open .pages, .txt and .pdf stored on iCloud file without any issue. I don't have iThoughts to test your scenario but have you tested this trying to add other file types in iCloud that are currently open?
danlandrum
So far, the only software I've seen this with is iThoughts, but I think the significant bit here is that it is a program that autosaves. Pages and the others you listed require a save action by the user. I know there are other programs that autosave as well, I just can't think of any of them at the moment. :-) My guess is this has to do with the autosave nature of iThoughts, and I thought it might fail if the document was save elsewhere, the desktop, for instance, but after testing it again the problem only occurs with iCloud Drive, and only with iThoughts. 
OSX 10.13 
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
3.3 GHz Intel Core i5
32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software