Isilion
Note: I read this has been requested many times. It seems some older versions had this feature, and since it's difficult for me to know for which versions of The Brain were these requests, I'd like to request it again for v9. 

Examples
  • I am tracking different projects in a single brain. I want to be able to filter completed tasks. 
  • I have a single brain for my work and my personal thoughts. When I'm at work I want to be able to filter personal thoughts.
  • Show a list of the thoughts that have a deadline within the next week (in the events timeline, the finish date is within the next 7 days). 
I'd like to be able to have these filters at hand and activate them with a click. 

I have checked the Reports feature, but it only shows a list of thoughts, whereas what I need is to visualize my brain as it is, just filtering the things I have selected. 
metta
+1 for saved reports (filters) that have an easy-access menu.

+1 for filtered display in the plex based on report generated data -- if this would be feasible?
Isilion
Thank you for the link, that is very interesting!

The discussion is closed so I'll post a few ideas here. 

In an app I use to organize myself I have a variety of filters (they call it views, and they are somewhat the equivalent to our reports). They are on the left in the picture ("All tasks", "Projects", and so on). 

When I select "All tasks" I see all the information (no filters). When I select "Projects" I only see projects, and the same with my customized filters (i.e. "Executing Personal" will only show non-completed tasks that I have tagged as personal). 

1.png 

That's what I miss: the possibility to filter the information we are working with (the thoughts) based on saved views/filters/reports, to be able to change contexts quickly. 

Sorry for the long explanation! As someone said, "Sorry friend, I wrote a long letter because I didn't have the time to make it short".
metta
Just love that quotation🙂
metta
As for viewing all of your projects, tasks and goals separately from one another, can this be accomplished right now now by simply viewing each of the individual thought types?
> Projects
> Tasks
> Goals

Also, FWIW, I dug a little deeper and found this comment from Matt at TheBrain from March of this year:
> "The Filtered Views, based on Report results is documented as a feature request (#2250), but no date has been set for when this feature may become available."

Don't know if this will be exactly what you're looking for, but it did sound promising.
Isilion
metta wrote:
Just love that quotation🙂

I didn't know who said it. Thanks 🙂

metta wrote:
As for viewing all of your projects, tasks and goals separately from one another, can this be accomplished right now now by simply viewing each of the individual thought types?
> Projects
> Tasks
> Goals

That's a good general solution, but I would still need to filter further, for example "Only show me uncompleted tasks within a project". I could create Types for "completed tasks", but it doesn't feel like a good solution because a task could change its status (completed, uncompleted, on hold, etc), but it will still be a task, so the Type shouldn't change, I think. Besides, then I would be overusing the Types and not using the Tags. 

What feels natural to me is to be able to create a Thought, assign Type "Task" and tag it as "On Hold". I might simply have a wrong mental model about The Brain and how to use, it, though ^^

metta wrote:

Also, FWIW, I dug a little deeper and found this comment from Matt at TheBrain from March of this year:
> "The Filtered Views, based on Report results is documented as a feature request (#2250), but no date has been set for when this feature may become available."

Don't know if this will be exactly what you're looking for, but it did sound promising.

I think that's exactly what I wanted, thank you! 🙂
zenrain
It did work this way in v8. However, I never used it. The problem was for me that when I filtered for specific thoughts, all the connecting thoughts disappeared. So it was many little thought islands. I tried to include some of the types I used frequently for connecting thoughts, but still ended up micromanaging and it wasn't worth it for me.

What I ended up using far more often was inverse filtering. So filtering out the thought types or tags I didn't want to see. This left all the connective thoughts intact.

I would be interested to hear from people who did use this feature in v8 and lower, and how they overcame the thought island issue I kept running into.
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.250
metta
Thanks for your feedback, zenrain. I had wondered if "thought islands" might be a limiting consideration, and will be interested in others' experience using this v8 feature.

@Isilion ~

You wrote: "it doesn't feel like a good solution because a task could change its status (completed, uncompleted, on hold, etc), but it will still be a task, so the Type shouldn't change, I think."
> In principle, I agree with you on this, and generally I use tags to indicate status changes on thoughts.
> The "Archive" type is my only exception simply because I rarely refer to completed items, and prefer to segment them separately. (Just a work flow preference.)

You wrote: "I would still need to filter further, for example 'Only show me uncompleted tasks within a project'. I could create Types for 'completed tasks'.
> Would search within selection do the trick?

You wrote: "Besides, then I would be overusing the Types and not using the Tags."
> Apparently I never realized types could be overused😉

metta
@zenrain ~

Is inverse filtering an option in TB10?

If not, has it been submitted as a feature request?
zenrain
It’s not, and I believe it was way, way back. 🙂
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.250
metta
Thanks, Z! ~
rustada
As far as the thought island problem, the links could be stems or dimmed to indicate something is there but not worth attention (based on your filtering report) and not expanded with the unfiltered thoughts.

The filtering report needs logical gates to eliminate limits and barriers on complexity. Then its power would be exponentially better if it had variables based on time and regular expressions. To not intimidate people who are not savvy on technical logic you could have the current report function be default, then have an advanced mode for people who could use it.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software