Spacenexus
PB3 had a useful function that would automatically spider an external folder structure. With all the shared drive services around (Dropbox, GoogleDrive, etc), this feature would be useful to have back again and now have an even greater utility. If this could be resurected, please ensure that it works for folder structures inside a single thought. My entire Dropbox folder with 300GB of shared files exists in a single thought in PB8 and operates perfectly.

Thanks

Jim
@170907:
TB8022 32bit
Java 32bit Version 8 Update 141

Firefox, Office 2013 Pro Plus 32bit
64bit Win10Pro
64bit Primary Laptop, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i7
64bit Secondary Laptop, 64GB RAM, Intel Xeon E3
Brain user since zygote
metta
That's staggeringly impressive, Jim!

Just to be clear: are you talking about "Virtual Folders" here?

[Later * Correction: "Virtual Thoughts"]
Spacenexus
Yes, thanks for the clarification Metta, these are indeed virtual folders. If I recall, they would appear as a ghosted blue in TB3. Now more than ever that functionality has real utility and relavence.

Jim
@170907:
TB8022 32bit

64bit Win10Pro
Brain user since zygote
metta
Thanks for confirming, Jim. "Ghosted blue" is a good description, and I agree that virtual thoughts were quite useful.

However, Harlan indicated quite some time ago this feature would not be included in TB9, and I'm sorry to see them go, too.

"Sorry, but virtual thoughts will not be making a reappearance for a variety of reasons. Most importantly is that they cannot be supported properly - they are not cross-platform, cannot be linked between each other, cannot have properties add on to them, cannot be searched properly, etc. Their inclusion as thoughts makes it necessary put caveats on many aspects of the software and is confusing to new users. Even for advanced users, many people just assumed that we could make all of these limitations go away by adding more features to virtual thoughts, however this is not the case and has resulted in some frustrations for people that we'd prefer to avoid going forward."
Spacenexus
Metta, Thanks for highlighting Harlan's post. I guess the point of virtual thoughts is:
  • they do not need to be cross-platform, can be a feature specific to a desktop instance without needing to be syncd.
  • thoughts do not need to be linked between each other
  • don't particularly need propoerties - they're virtual
  • can do without searching if it's beyond capability to field

I beleive new and advanced users can figure the learning curve around the virtual thought concept. The fact that we have so many single folder sharing apps (dropbox, box, GDrive, etc) changes the tradespace of benefit vs challenges heavily in favor of making the effort.

Harlan, imagine the actual usefulness of "being able to map all your shared folders instantly in your brain" as a feature. I have a team of 20 people generating significant content in shared folder structures. This is so overwhelmingly a neceesary feature that it should be enabled as a feature for business users and teams. Toggle off by default if necessary, to eliminate the excuse of confusing new users.

Jim

@170907:
TB8022 32bit

64bit Win10Pro
Brain user since zygote
metta
+1 for Virtual thoughts as an optional (advanced) feature

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software