Harlan

Under Windows, PersonalBrain can be installed on a USB drive so that it can be moved from computer to computer without the need to activate the registration on each individual computer. However, USB installations will register to the computer they are installed on and not onto the USB drive unless Windows recognizes the drive as a “Removable Disk” (when you open My Computer look under the “Type” column). Drives recognized as a “Local Disk” cannot be used in this fashion.

To install onto a USB drive, simple run the PersonalBrain installation software as usual, and when the software asks where to install, select the USB drive.

You may also copy your Brain (the .brain file and _brain folder) onto the USB drive. When storing your Brain on a USB drive, make sure that you always shut down PersonalBrain and properly "eject" the USB drive before removing the USB connection (right click on the icon in the system tray, select "Safely Remove Hardware", and follow the proper steps to stop the drive). Failure to properly eject the drive will result in corruption of the database and could lead to serious loss of data.

Regards,
-Harlan
FransJehoul
Hello,

I use a USB-memory stick for the software and a USB-drive (120Gb) for my database for a year. You only need 2 USB-ports. The second license i use on my own desktop where I only connect the USB-drive with the database and run it from there. I make sometimes backups on my USB-drive but always make backup (at least one in a week) on my desktop.
Speed is acceptable for me.

Regards,

Frans
Axla
Hi Harlan.

I've been using PB on a USB-drive for approx 18 months, most of the time without any problems.

I have seen that the reg-info splash screen is empty at times, and I was suspecting there were something stored on ONE computer, but not the others. Despite this quirk, I've not had any problems.

Speed IS a problem, but that is from the slow Read/Write speed of the drive, and the prehistoric computers at work (RAM and CPU issues).

Plese read some of my posts on Project Management. I would REALLY like some of the features I suggest (who wouldn't like their own suggestions implemented )

Keep up the good work, and I'm looking forward to future releases!
dcb_oz
Runs directly of an 8gb Sandisk Cruzer Contour perfectly. Both application (latest beta) and 3500 thought brain. This is a fast USB stick and that makes all the difference. It's also allowed me to carry my brain with me and that makes it much more useful.
misellers
TheBrain is happily (more or less) running from my USB drive, however. When I try and acivate a template (after double clicking a thought) TheBrain looks for the template on my laptops c: drive not the USB drive.

Is there a preference or file entry I can change?
Been there broke that.
iceheartx
After I boughtthe pro version I installed my copy of the brain on my home machine, then went to my mac to see how that looked. then took the usb drive that i had it on to work with me and tried to install there but I got the "you have installed this on too many computers".

If at all possible I'd *much* prefer to put the whole shebang onto my usb key and have a complete install located there.

is there any way to
a) reset the number of computers you think I have it installed on,
b) move an already installed brain onto my usb stick, or should I uninstall/reinstall (and will that even work with the pro version, now that my account is locked?)

----------------------
since I started relying on the brain, I am almost incomprehensible without it.
matyb
I have the same question.

- You install personal brain on a USB key
- It will still install data under   c:\documents and settings\username\application data\personal brain

How do we change the location and registry pointer so that it can reside on the USB key?
blueearth

Can I third this request for a method of pointing the brain to look for it's settings on the USB stick rather than on C\documents and settings?  I find myself going between registered and unregistered versions at home and at work, which is confusing.  Thanks!

bjbarouch
Running from a usb drive is a great way to have access to my "home" and "work" brains in either location (or any other). Now that I have already installed it on my home PC, how do I MOVE it to a usb drive without eating up a second license? If the speed turns out to be a problem, how would I move it back while still not encountering any licensing issues?

It sounds like (on other forums here) people have had issues with attachments when they move brains around. If that is just files on the local system, that makes sense. Is that it or are there also problems with attachments stored within a brain and those that are really just URL to the web an dnot attachments per se.
dcb_oz
bjbarouch wrote: Running from a usb drive is a great way to have access to my "home" and "work" brains in either location (or any other). Now that I have already installed it on my home PC, how do I MOVE it to a usb drive without eating up a second license? If the speed turns out to be a problem, how would I move it back while still not encountering any licensing issues?

It sounds like (on other forums here) people have had issues with attachments when they move brains around. If that is just files on the local system, that makes sense. Is that it or are there also problems with attachments stored within a brain and those that are really just URL to the web an dnot attachments per se.

I run PB from the USB stick along with the files.
kdcramton

I have a small home network setup which consists of a Desktop PC "server"and a Laptop PC that I link via NIC thru a router. Can I install PB on a Flash Drive and insert in whichever machine I am working at and access my .brain file that resides on the server? Or even possibly link a .brain residing on the "client" Laptop PC with the .brain residing on the server?

Kevin D. Cramton
Harlan
kdcramton wrote: I have a small home network setup which consists of a Desktop PC "server"and a Laptop PC that I link via NIC thru a router. Can I install PB on a Flash Drive and insert in whichever machine I am working at and access my .brain file that resides on the server? Or even possibly link a .brain residing on the "client" Laptop PC with the .brain residing on the server?

Yes, what you describe can be done, but I don't recommend it. PB depends on a reliable file system - if your network connection drops, it could result in database corruption. Also, PB will run much slower if you are using a network file server.
Regards,
-Harlan
jsw_nz
Hi Harlan

I had a general question both regarding the USB drive/stick and the policy you have towards more than one copy - i have a unique situation where I have a home pc running windows xp and another computer running at the university which is a Macintosh - does the purchase include unlock keys for both platforms? - hoping it does - also on still another note - do you offer academic pricing - was unable to glean such info off of site - anyway thanks in advance for your reply

bryan
Harlan,

Can you expand on this?  It's been a while since I've tried this (the last time I tried was back on a 4.x version), but my recolections of when I tried it are:

1. I installed on my machine at work, using my USB drive as drive "R".  All of my Brains are also stored on that drive.

2. Went home, plugged the USB drive into my home machine.  Ran PB, and it came up "unregistered".

3. Went into home PC and set the USB drive to be drive "R" (same drive as work drive assignment).

4. Still came up as unregistered.  Put in the "key" and it worked.

5. Went back and forth successfully after that.

Since then I have uninstalled the installation on that home machine, because I actually have PB installed on another home machine and I was trying to stay within the license agreement.  (I would assume that installation on a USB would constitute "one" installation even though it is "movable".???)

As I had mentioned in a previous post, I move between machines a lot.  I am an IT manager and I'm constantly trying new PC's....usally something new about every three or four weeks.   If I could install PB on the USB, and simply plug that into whatever machine I'm using, that would be absolutly wonderful.

Also, I'm assuming that none of this applies to a linux installation???  Because of the file structure of linux, and how it handles "locations", I'm assuming that there is no way to do the same thing with a linux installation.

So if you could clarify all of this a bit, it would be helpful.

Thanks,

Bryan

dcb_oz
bryan wrote: If I could install PB on the USB, and simply plug that into whatever machine I'm using, that would be absolutly wonderful.

Bryan,

I have PB and my brain file installed onto a USB stick and it works fine. It's a Sandisk Cruzer 8GB with the U3 platform. Benefits of this are the speed (you need a high speed USB stick) and the U3 platform maps changing drive letters.

There was a small glitch with the install which meant I over subscribed my licences. The working steps are:
1. Install to USB path
2. At the end of the install, when asked to run, uncheck and close the install window.
3. Run PB, enter any license information. For some reason, particularly when upgrading, if I ran from within the installer it missed the valid license info already there.

Java needs to be on each PC you will run on.

David

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software