narium
A friend demonstrated PersonalBrain to me -- very impressive!

To be useful to me, I'd need to have access to the same Brain from my PC at work and my Mac at home; how can I best achieve this?
  • Would I need two separate licences?
  • I've read the article on using DropBox; unfortunately DropBox is actively blocked by our company's firewall. This leaves USB. The thread on USB sticks only mentions Windows. Is it possible to use the same brain on a USB stick from a Windows PC and a Mac or are the file structures not the same?
  • Another potential possibility would be to have two separate brains and regularly merge them. This would need some synchronisation mechanism and the ability of PersonalBrain to detect if a thought was modified in one or both brains and offer a choice of options if an automatic decision is not possible. I tried if the "Merge Brains" feature would work like this but my trial copy wouldn't let me merge brains (and I could not find detailed information about the merge process).
What is the recommended usage pattern for this scenario?
mcaton
Narium,

Thank you for the question.  One license of PersonalBrain Pro can be used to install the application twice and on any OS.

I would not recommend using Dropbox, anyhow.  Sync software can cause problems in the PB database.  Keeping PB on a USB stick is an option.  You may run into issues with Shortcut attachments though, depending on the file structures as you have mentioned.

It would be best to simply create a Brainzip (click on File > Create Brainzip) and bring your brain back and forth.  For this to work best, you would need to store all of your attachments internally in your PB - otherwise, you'll run into the Shortcut issue again.

Also, you always have the option of uploading your PB to http://www.webbrain.com.  Then you can access from any on-line computer.  Webbrains, however, are read-only.

Thank you,
Matt
narium
Thanks, Matt, for the fast answer.

I don't like the brainzip option because I must remember everytime to make a brainzip and transfer it to the other computer. It's much too easy to forget it and and up with two inconsistent brains.

The USB option seems to work; I successfully edited the same brain from my Mac and the PC at work. But I probably have to get a faster stick soon...

Is somewhere more information how a merge works? Is there some detection if a thought already exists in the target brain?

Regards, narium
vsevols

Because I not have permanent connection to the internet on my notebook I trying to use the next scenario to synchronize my notebook and home PC:

I've created two folders in DropBox folder: DropBox/HomePC and DropBox/Notebook . There I put two set of copies of One brain files.

My rule of working with this copies is that I allways open only DropBox/HomePC/Vsev.brain from HomePC and DropBox/Notebook/Vsev.brain from notebook.

When I have internet connection I can synchronize my DropBox folder and it will have two folders(not same) with last changes that was done on each computer separately.

After DropBox synchronization finished I think that I can Merge this two brains into one.

The problem is that when I merging brains PB says "Thought already exists" for many thoughts. Both of the duplicate thoughts dont have any
attatchments, text, or calendar items, names of duplicates are same.

The main problem, that in case of any option I select (overwrite/create copy/skip) I will receive the same message on same thoughts next time I will
merge this brains. Even if I do just a copy of brain without any changes and immediatly merging this copies there are "Thought already exists" messages
displayed.
Is this normal behavior of programm? Or that is bug, or something wrong with my PB database files
If it's normal, I think it will be usefull to add feature of merging brains where not_changed thoughts whith same GUID will be overwrited by default

larogers
When using the brainzip option, how do you deal with contacts from the address book? If I keep my address books synchronized, will the brainzip file access it from whatever computer it's running from?
pvonk
I think keeping address books synchronized depends how how you do it.  I'm not familiar with the way PB connects with address book, but in DevonThink (an information manager that connects to address book) the associations between AB data and the Devon database are based on IDs maintained in AB.  If those IDs are maintained when copying (syncing) the address book from one mac to another, then everything should be OK.  But using something like Mobile Me will change those IDs in certain cases.  When that happens, the associations with the address book data are lost.
Harlan
PersonalBrain Version 6 adds support for true synchronization without the risk of corruption. For a complete overview of all sync options and some details on how synchronization works, please see here:

Regards,
-Harlan
larogers
Thank you. This link is very useful. Just what I needed.
dougmay
OK.  How do I get my hands on a copy of V6?  I have 5.5 Pro.
zenrain
You can download it from http://www.thebrain.com/#-156
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
dougmay
Thanks much, Zenrain.
RichardB

I'm running PB 5.5.2.4 (mainly) on a W-7 desktop and (occasionally) on an elderly W-XP laptop. I want to pension off the old laptop, remove PB and then install it on a new laptop. Question: How do I actually do this? In particular, how do I notify the company that I've removed PB from the older mc? Presumably this is required, otherwise it will look just like I'm downloading a third 'pirate' copy of PB, won't it? Any guidance will be gratefully received! Richard B.

johnwn
Feel a bit dim asking this, but I have looked through the manual PDF and the forum and do not see how to open a Brain on a second PC that has been Brainzip'd from the first PC.  Open? Import? Utilities?  

Thanks in advance!
SamCox
In Windows Explorer (or equivalent), double-click the brainzip file. A fresh copy of PB will open and you must specify an existing directory in which to extract the brain. (In my case, the directory in which all my other brains reside was suggested.) When you have specified a valid directory, the brain will be extracted and opened.

Hope this helps,
-- Sam

johnwn
Many thanks, Sam!  Definitely helpful. 

Another forum thread indicated you could just store the [brain-name]_brain folder on the flashdrive, along with the [brain-name].brain file in the main root of the flashdrive.   Or did I misread that one?

SamCox wrote: In Windows Explorer (or equivalent), double-click the brainzip file. A fresh copy of PB will open and you must specify an existing directory in which to extract the brain. (In my case, the directory in which all my other brains reside was suggested.) When you have specified a valid directory, the brain will be extracted and opened.

Hope this helps,
-- Sam

Add a Website Forum to your website.