tcahill
Another thread is talking about replication, and over there I was saying: but "how about skipping that entirely and just running your brain from a private ftp site?

How about that, Harlan? How difficult would it be to build some ftp savvy into PB's architecture?

Now here is a suprise:"

Create a new PB file, populate it with a few thoughts and close it.
Open Konqueror in Linux and access a private FTP site. Copy the new PB file up to the pb site. Right click the brain file on the ftp site, and select Open with...
You see, I've selected to open the file with PB. Let's see what happens.
hang on more comming.... Click image for larger version - Name: ftp.png, Views: 105, Size: 23.27 KB Click image for larger version - Name: ftp1.png, Views: 100, Size: 39.41 KB
Click image for larger version - Name: ftp2.png, Views: 101, Size: 18.55 KB Click image for larger version - Name: ftp3.png, Views: 100, Size: 20.81 KB Click image for larger version - Name: ftp4.png, Views: 97, Size: 21.61 KB
Be vewy quiet. I'm hunting wabbit.
tcahill
And there is the file. But wait. That is not my new plex, the thoughts are missing. Notice the address of the opened file (it is the one at the top of the list) Interesting. So I make some changes, and create some new thoughts.
Then I close the file. Then I close PB. What's this? KDE wants to synchronize the file! Let's see if it works. Click image for larger version - Name: ftp5.png, Views: 88, Size: 52.65 KB Click image for larger version - Name: ftp6.png, Views: 86, Size: 20.89 KB
tcahill
... And it does not work. There has been no data retention! H'm I thought somehow the results might be better than this. Anyway, the potential for a network save is interesting.

Here is one last bit of data. When I re-opened the test file. I saw this dialog. Click image for larger version - Name: ftp9.png, Views: 83, Size: 7.92 KB
JosefBetancourt
The simplest way to sync is to use rsync protocol.   On Windows with cygwin installed its installed by default.  I haven't tried it with PB4, ie., create a networked brain that has local copies, and an rsync keeps everything happy.

I'm sure there are other approaches, even using a Subversion server. But, I think this kind of stuff will really only work when supported within theBrain itself.  Many architectures are possible of course, client-server, P2P, Mesh, etc. 

--- Josef

Harlan
Tim, unfortunately, the FTP approach will not work. This is because PB uses a multi-file database backend. When you open the file via FTP, it downloads a copy of that file, but not all the other files needed.

We have some ambitious plans in this regard, so stay tuned.

Regards,
-Harlan

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software