rengel
I've imported some thoughts in my brain and wanted to check the parentless thoughts in order to clean up the brain. So I ran a report  searching for parentless thoughts, created a thought named 'Parentless' and attached the report results to that thought. Then I attached some of the parentless thoughts to another parent and wanted to unlink these thoughts from 'Parentless'. The picture tells the rest of the story. I might consider this as a bug; at least it's highly confusing.
Reinhard TB 8.0.1.5 win8-64, J-1.7.0_x
Harlan
This is as designed. Control clicking on a gate selects thoughts linked to that gate, regardless of if they are visible in the plex. So, the display in the selection is correct.

If you only want to unlink those displayed, you can either unlink them one at a time or deselect the ones you don't want unlinked prior to using the unlink selection command.

Regards,
-Harlan
rengel
OK, I hear you and will be careful. But your suggestion, to unlink
thoughts manually one at a time, is not really helpful if you have hundreds of thoughts.

Still, I would say that the current design runs contrary to the principles of a good GUI design, where the display gives you immediate feedback about what's affected by your actions. After Ctrl-Clicking the child I saw the marked thoughts. My first impulse was: Fine, now I can unlink the marked items. Only then did I wonder why there were so many thoughts in the selection box. That's an invitation for mistakes.

Reminds me of some computer games: Click a button (gate), and them some hidden door (invisible thoughts) opens (are marked). If you Ctrl-Click a gate when the selection box is already filled with thoughts you have a hard time to keep everything under control.

BHurd
Now here is where the lasso selection idea would come in perfectly.  If we had a way to pull a lasso around the visible links under the Parentless thought to select just those thoughts (or, for that matter, directly unlink those links then and there) it could solve these odd problems.   don't know if it is harder to implement though

Edit:  Try this though, I didn't double check it but if you want to unlink the common children of the JUMP thought, ctrl-click the gate of the ACTIVE thought, then activate the JUMP thought and right click the selection pane and click unlink selection.  Should work.

Re Edit:  It works for sure, in my test brain....and I have to admit this is a better solution in this scenerio than the lasso would be, (darn)

rengel
Yes, thanks! This does the trick.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software