Beastro
Hi,

I am considering acquiring TheBrain for my physics studies and research. I have used other mindmaps in the past and always stumbled over the inability to input formulas and scientific writing. I used to write out text and formulas in Mathematica and then paste them as images in the mindmap, but it was cumbersome and the result is not satisfying.

Are people here using it for maths and physics? How do you get around those problems? I would like to see some working solution before purchasing.

Thank you and regards
Berthold/Spain
Win10/TB9
shatcher
Hi Berthold,

TheBrain 9 was designed with speed in mind. Your information is quickly accessible, and quickly editable. This focus means that things like the notes don't have tons of options for things like mathematical formulas. As a physics graduate myself, I understand the difficulty of trying to express a formula or concept without the ability to type certain characters or formulas. 

I used to take a picture and attach it to an email when discussing the work with classmates or my professors. This is the method I would recommend for TheBrain as well. You can paste screenshots of formulas directly into the notes, and can attach images or other files to a Thought. It might help as well to have links to concepts directly in your notes.

Ex: If you have a Thought with Maxwell's equations, but don't want to copy the entire set into another Thought's note. Right-click on Maxwell's Thought and Copy Local Thought URL. Paste this in the other Thought. You can then edit the name of that URL without destroying the link. Just click the icon that is at the right side of the blue text to be taken to the other Thought.

Cheers, Sean
metta
Following up on Sean's suggestion, I suspect you could also include a link to wherever the formula is located (either on your desktop or online) just in case the formula ever needs to be edited/updated/enhanced in the future.

Admittedly, this is a more complicated work-around than simply being able to use the notes directly, but I appreciate your thoughtfulness, Sean, in offering this alternative.

Also, I'm intrigued to know you were a physics graduate! ðŸ˜‰
Beastro
Hi Sean,

While I can see the point of your reasoning, I don't think speed is a valid argument for todays computers. I doubt very much that there would be any measurable speed difference between the status quo setup and a version with a more advanced note editor.
While you surely can use screenshots to insert formulae, I argue that you can also write your mindmaps by hand and therefore don't need any computer aid at all. While some people might enjoy to boil their coffee over open fire, it is still more practical on a daily basis to use an electric coffee maker. Having to use MS charactermap was a nuissance 20 years ago and today it is clearly unacceptable. To even offer it as an option in a note editor from 2018 seems quite absurd to me. Even ten years ago it was quicker to fire up Wolfram Mathematica and take a screen shot than to navigate through charactermap's endless font pages.
I am telling you this from the perspective of someone who has used screenshots over the past 10 years for exactly what you propose. I have used many flavours of mindmaps ranging from Freemind over Simplemind up to expensive solutions like Mindmanager. All of them without any facilities to edit scientific text. I attach two samples from Mindmanager to show you the result of cumbersome editing. The yellow stuff are screenshots obtained from Wolfram Mathematica:Física_Termodinámica.jpeg 
Trig_ID.jpeg 

I am 5 days away from deciding on whether to buy or not to buy TheBrain and quite frankly until now I have not received a satisfying and convincing reason, why you would not consider adding an enhanced note editing to your otherwise excellent program. And I am wondering, whether it makes any sense to again spend a significant amount of money on software, where the development staff does not seem to be very inclined to develop the software further in order to enhance missing features. I very well might buy it nevertheless for its unique three dimensional thought model, but in my opinion you are artificially restricting your program.

Kind regards
Berthold
Berthold/Spain
Win10/TB9
mcaton
Berthold,

TheBrain 9 is still in active development and we do plan on enhancing the Note features and capabilities in the future. If you'd like to provide a list of desired scientific input that you'd like to visualize in the Notes or Thought names, please post it here and I'll make sure it is added to our feature request list.

Thank you,
Matt
Beastro
Hi Matt,

Thank you for your reply! You just got yourself a new client!

While a fully fledged equation editor would be nice, I can see how that would be out of proportion.
However, I would be glad to see in future versions of the note editor a panel to introduce with ease
  • Greek letters
  • Scientific symbols
  • Latex/Miktex support for typesetting math input?
Additionally, I think it would be excellent if you could add a preview for Wolfram Mathematica files. For example CDF files is the format Mathematica uses to share notebook files with other users. It is much like an interactive PDF (hence the name). Viewer for that file format is freely available and I could imagine so is a SDK.
That would cover linking of explicit scientific data to TheBrain.

Thank you and kind regards
Berthold
Berthold/Spain
Win10/TB9
mcaton
Thank you Berthold,

I see that the request for LaTeX already exists in our Feature Request list, but I've added your additional suggestions.

Thank you,
Matt

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software