Frederic
Hello

it seems that the latest patch (9.0.234) introduce scroll bug with wheel-mouse in the thought-panel. Behavior is now really bad with hiccups and less fluidity.

- i cannot scroll to the bottom of the notes with mouse wheel (if text notes is longer that the display, the last lines cannot be seen)
- using keyboard up and down arrows lead to jump in the ascensor bar with skip and not correctly scroll to fist line (top) or las line (bottom)
- click & drag the ascensor bar cannot solve the problem

If needed, I can capture some video to better explain the problem

shatcher
Hi Frederic,

We have not seen this issue in any of our tests. Could you post a video of this behavior? That would help us a lot to figure out what might be causing this issue.

Cheers, Sean
Enthroned_Casket
I experience a similar quirk.  Steps to repeat:
  • Run TheBrain in a non-maximized window state
  • Activate a thought with enough notes to require scrolling
  • Drag the scroll bar in the notes panel and, with the left button still down, exit 'to the right' i.e. outside the app window
  • Release mouse button
  • The scroll bar doesn't release and continues to scroll with mouse movements.

The workaround is to be careful not to exit outside the notes window while scrolling, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't find it pesky.
calibrator
shatcher wrote:
Hi Frederic,

We have not seen this issue in any of our tests. Could you post a video of this behavior? That would help us a lot to figure out what might be causing this issue.

Cheers, Sean

Hi!

I also have these massive scrolling problems the original poster describes.
Is there a solution or workaround, yet? (tested with v264 and v250, no older version to try)

Please advise as I otherwise can't use TheBrain anymore (the whole purpose is to have notes with more than 20 lines of text!).

Thx in advance!
Enthroned_Casket
The can't-scroll-to-bottom-of-notes window was driving me insane last week; exactly as Frederik describes - the notes on a thought were longer than the visible window, and no matter what I tried I couldn't scroll to the bottom of the notes.
calibrator
The can't-scroll-to-bottom-of-notes window was driving me insane last week; exactly as Frederik describes - the notes on a thought were longer than the visible window, and no matter what I tried I couldn't scroll to the bottom of the notes.

Hi!

I finally found a way to scroll to absolute top or bottom of a note:

If you use the mousewheel to scroll UP you can't get to the top even though you "know" that you reached it.
The trick is to scroll the mousewheel DOWN by a single notch (if your mousewheel has "notches", some don't).
Then the note scrolls that exact last step up to the very top of the note.

And the same holds true for the bottom of the note - only with swapped directions:
Scroll DOWN until you know that you should have reached it - and then scroll UP exactly one step!
Et voila - you should be at the bottom. At least this works for me.

This of course doesn't resolve any of the other problems (defective scroll bars, vanishing cursor...).
Cerebrum
shatcher wrote:
Could you post a video of this behavior?
How do I post a video? I have a similar issue with the Notes editor.
metta
@Cerebrum ~

Screencast-O-Matic.com provides a free desktop video recording tool with the option to save or upload your video to their hosting service, all at no charge. I use it all the time for TB bug reports.

Hope this helps!
calibrator
I've made a short 2 min video for Youtube for the scrolling problem.

As of now it is "unlisted" but should play right here:

I recommend however that you go to Youtube (via the Youtube button in the lower right) to see the description!

Then click the "SHOW MORE" to read what I actually do in this recording.
Otherwise it doesn't make any sense...

Also you can click onto the time codes on the left side to jump where you want to.
For example to easily REPEAT certain parts.

I hope this helps as I don't have spare hours like hair on my back ;-)
calibrator
So I supplied a video and no comment?

Not even an acknowledgement that this hasn't been solved, yet?

Should I open an official bug report?
calibrator
As an addendum:
After several restarts (both the program and after that Windows - for updates) the program now works again as it should.
I don't have the slightest idea at the moment what caused that jerky scrolling behaviour.
For now I'm willing to give TheBrain the benefit of the doubt and suspect that it is something with the Windows input messaging system or whatever it is called.
metta
FWIW, when I was working in TB9 several weeks ago (v9.1.6 on Win7), I had two different (possibly related?) problems with the scroll in the notes:

(1) The scroll wouldn't stop after I initiated it: it just kept running slowly on its own.
-- This happened only occasionally, but when it occurred, it was hard to get control over the scroll function again.

(2) The scroll would not go far enough for me to be able highlight the entire contents of a note.
-- This happened almost all the time, both going up from the bottom and down from the top.

Can't help but wonder if both of these issues, as well as the problems you were having, were all related to an underlying issue(s) in the notes editor, itself.
MindEquip
I continue to see this issue as well on V9 (9.0.264.0). This started on an earlier build, but I don't remember which one. It happens on my home computer (Windows 7 SP2, 16GB memory, I7) and also on my notebook (Windows 10, 32GB memory, I7).

The note window jumping occurs both with scrolling the mouse wheel and with trying to drag the elevator bar up or down. On the first try I am able to scroll to the top or bottom of the note. However, after two or three tries the notes window scrolling becomes unstable with jumping and inability to scroll all the way to the top or bottom of the note. 
calibrator
Hi!

I'm still researching why it happens (I'm also on Win7 x64, latest service pack & patches, standard hardware like Core i5 2500K, 16GB RAM, Nvidia Geforce 770 etc.) as the effect actually came back shortly after I wrote my last comment. Perhaps on the next day or the one after that.

Right now my theory is this: Something with the Windows hibernation mode screws up the note editor (no other application is affected).

When I restart Windows everything is fine with TheBrain.
When I put my PC into hibernation mode and re-awaken it the problem with the scrolling appears again.

This is totally reproduceable on my machine but I still have no clue *why* this happens and why only TheBrain is affected.
I'm all ears if anybody has an idea I could try as long as it isn't something like "re-install Windows" or "switch to a newer version of Windows" (apparently this doesn't help).

Why has the problem started all of a sudden with my installation of TheBrain?
This I know now: Because I had a Linux dual-boot configuration (with Linux Mint KDE) at that time and HAD TO reboot into Windows whenever I wanted or needed to use it. I couldn't use hibernation mode with the Windows partition (only with the Linux partition).
After I ditched Linux (separate SSD) I only activated the Win7 partition again, corrected the boot-loading and therefore still use the exact same Win7 installation with the same apps & drivers (except everything updated now).
mcaton
Thank you for the additional details I'll document your discovery of the issue only happening after coming out of sleep mode and we'll review further.

Thank you,
Matt

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software