jostber
It would be a great feature in PB if the left and right arrow keys could scroll the history list. Would be a fine way to check the last activity.

One could reach the history list by clicking Tab twice. Clicking Tab 3 times could take us to the Tabs, so these can be reached by the keyboard too.

TheBrain 8.0.2.2 Slackware 14.2 KDE 4.10.3 Java 1.8 / (Windows 7)
SamCox
Alt-Left Arrow and Alt-Right Arrow seem to move through the past history list, or rather that part of the list populated in the current PB session. The part of the list left by a previous session does not seem accessible with Alt-Left/Right Arrow.

-- Sam

On closer examination, the behavior of Alt-Left/Right Arrow is inconsistent.

jostber
I would like to scroll that list at the bottom of the plex, and click Enter to view the thoughts I want to look at.

jostber
I have attached an image that shows the list I mean. This list is today only scrollable by some small arrows at the end of the list.

What I would like to be able to is this: When the cursor is in the Instant Search Field, 'Tab' could move to the Search Button(as now) and then on to this list, which could be scrollable with the arrows. To free the arrows to use thoem for navigating thoughts, 'Esc' could do this. 'Tab' could also move further on  from this list to the Tabs for Notes, Reports and more in the plex, so that these could also be reachable by the keyboard. (Also attached).

Click image for larger version - Name: history.jpg, Views: 161, Size: 19.50 KB Click image for larger version - Name: Tabs.jpg, Views: 162, Size: 10.05 KB
jostber
I am thinking about the list to the right of the search button in the first image.

Darkstar

I can see his images just fine, and I'm running Windows.

jostber is talking about the "Past Thoughts List" and the tabs in the tools window/plex.

He wants the tab order changed to:

1. Instant Search Text Box
  2. Search button
  3. Past Thoughts List
  4. the tabs in the tools window.
After the last tab in the tools window, a tab would move the focus to the Instant Search Text Box.

-Darkstar
jostber
Alt-Left/Right and the Active Thought list are two separate functionalities. I would like to be able to scroll through a list of all previously accessed thoughs, without having to access them. With Enter I'd wish to activate the thoughts I want.

jostber
Great post, and suggestions there, Dyslucksia. Both for the Active Thoughts list and for accessing the Pinned thoughts. A vertical history list would be wonderful to have. That green ring could get more functionality too, this is really convenient to use.

zenrain
Quote:
We don't need Alt+Left/Right at all either, since (hopefully) implementation of this plan will enable scrolling of both PTL and PTB from the keyboard to be done using Left and Right buttons. Let's reserve Alt+Left/Right for something more useful in future.

Alt+Left/Right mimic the standard browser behavior, and not the past thought list. It would be nice to be able to browse the PTL by keyboard, but this doesn't replace the back and forward function.
This is most easily explained by the following example.
I browse from Thought 1 to Thought 2, Thought 3 and Thought 4.
The behavior using the Alt + back button would take me from Thought 4, to Thought 3, 2 and 1.
The behavior captured in the past thought list is from Thought 4 to Thought 3. Here's where it goes haywire, because now Thought 4 is behind Thought 3 in the PTL, so if I moused one back, I would go back to Thought 4. Now I have to mouse 2 over to get to Thought 2, and after I've done that I have to go 3 over to get to Thought 1.

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
zenrain
I can see that if you use the PTL a fair amount then the suggestion would be useful.

I don't usually use the PTL except for linking, so I really don't have an investment in it. I was only trying to point out that it wouldn't replace the back and forward functionality, and hopefully clear up some confusion about how it's design intent is different from the PTL.

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
jostber
The PTL will be very useful for work session overview when it is made accessible by the keyboard. A larger list would be useful too. Right now it is too inconvenient to use for me, because of the need to use the mouse and the small arrows at each end of the list.
eeik
Reviving this ancient gem of a suggestion which doesn't seem to have been given any love in the current feature set. Some UX explorations and research focus would be awesome here to land on the best, most efficient, most intuitive flow which would make this history traversal feature fast and useful.

As is, mousing all the way to the bottom left corner with the < > arrow buttons (tiny mouse target vs. entire horizontal panel also) which require single left-clicks (click & hold does speed this up) to scroll one step at a time through the history is way way way slow as, for any historic thought beyond 3 clicks, it's much faster *if you remember the thought* to engage the search and "Search > [ENTER]" to navigate to it vs. engaging with the history breadcrumb pane at all.

This other suggestion, Scroll previous searches in the Instant Search field, from May 27, 2009 may be good to consider holistically at the same time if/when this history feature is tweaked.

At a minimum, the ability to use the mouse, hover over the set of thought history breadcrumbs, and scroll up/down to shift the pane left and right would be a great start.

Raising the bar, the up/down scroll plus left/right, if enabled, to expand the experience into a richer breadcrumb canvas atop the plex and have up/down + left/right scrolling capabilities both manipulate a richer history pane would be great. These scrolling actions would then drive the final action within that breadcrumb panel. If pursuing this, implementing an ease in / ease out for quickly scrolling but still giving fine grained motion control when slowly scrolling would be empathetic to include, similar to how Windows augments the mouse x,y movement with the enhance pointer precision checkbox.

This other suggestion, Multi Line Thought History, from Aug 12, 2007, also hints at a richer "expanded" history traversal feature set, if even only pulled up with a "long-hover" or some other supplemental activator. It's great having this treasure trove of user feature suggestions here to refer back to ðŸ‘

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software