igoldsmid1
When typing in a search, the results for Thoughts and Link Names and Labels are returned virtually instantly, however, the results for Notes and Attachments are taking upto 30 seconds to get listed.
Ian Goldsmid
mcaton
Ian,

Thanks for posting.  I haven't replicated this quite yet.  Can you tell me a little bit more about your Brain?  How many Thoughts does it have?  I'm not seeing this type of delay, even in a very large Brain.  If possible, a quick video recording of your search might also be helpful.

Thank you,
Matt
igoldsmid1

Matt - I’ve attached a video showing approx 30-second delay (given the 5-7 seconds to start the recording after starting the search). This is a constant, not one off, or occasional, but on every search

Ian Goldsmid
zenrain
Yes, I'm still experiencing this issue on my work MacBook, although it's 5-7 seconds until attachment and note matches appear.
macOS 10.12.3
TheBrain 9.0.153
mcaton
Thanks for sharing the video - that says it all.  I'm unable to replicate, even in my largest Brains.  Would you mind sharing a screenshot of your File > Statistics screen?  Not sure if it has anything to do yet with Brain/file size, but it's worth a look.

Thank you,
Matt
igoldsmid1
brain stats               Brain Stats.png 
Ian Goldsmid
mcaton
Ian,

Seems like a reasonable sized Brain - so I'm still curious. Would you be willing to share a .BRZ file for our internal testing?  It can be uploaded to http://www.hightail.com/u/TheBrain .

Thanks,
Matt
igoldsmid1
i shared/uploaded my .BRZ file via your hightail link on Feb 2nd. I've had no response from you since.
Ian Goldsmid
mcaton
Ian,

Thank you for checking in. We have a copy of your Brain and we're testing now on our latest build.  I'll keep you updated with the testing results.

Thanks,
Matt
igoldsmid1
thanks Matt
Ian Goldsmid
danlandrum
It takes 7 or 8 seconds on my Brain before populating the list. Clearing and retyping the same word does not speed it up. I'm looking to find the single word "referendum." The result is nine hits, 3 being notes, 6 pdfs. They all appear at the same moment, with no indication that anything is happening. The kicker is that sometimes it returns nothing at all, and I don't know if I should keep waiting, or try another search term. If I just wait, the list will sometimes populate after a protracted time, guessing 30 seconds or more. Attaching log.

Added -  I thought I'd try the same search in Spotlight, and the top of the list indicated "Indexing . . .." Could something in TheBrain have triggered an index? 
OSX 10.13 
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
3.3 GHz Intel Core i5
32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
mcaton
Ian,

We've tested with your Brain in several different environments and we're still not seeing the delayed response.  We will continue testing this issue, however to try and replicate.  Are you still seeing the delay with version 9.0.151?

Also, Dan, I'll write up your descriptions as a feature request for some type of visual indicator if the search is still working.

I'm checking with engineering to get a specific answer on the triggered index question...

Thanks,
Matt
igoldsmid1
yes, same problem with 9.0.151 - and just tried a search in a different Brain and it took about 5 seconds to return results on a text note.

However, using the same brain file, the next three attachment searches tried returned zero results. I've attached three images showing how 2 websites and one pdf clearly contain simple text strings that were not found at all (well, I waited a full 60 seconds and nothing). I've also attached the stats for this Brain. All in Archive.zip

seems that danlandrum has a similar sounding problem so not just me ...

Addendum - using HoudahSpot search tool on Mac found these search strings (in the pdfs (the pdfs have been in this Brain for a week or more - plenty of time for macos or the brain to index them, lol)) instantly. 
Ian Goldsmid
mcaton
Dan,

In regards to your search question, TheBrain does ask your operating system to find the file - so whatever your OS does as far as indexing is what we get.  WE don't trigger an indexing, but your OS might decide to index at that time.

Also, thanks for the log file.  The last query in the the log is asking your OS to search for "referendum". You can actually run the exact same command in terminal to see how long it takes.  Here's the command:

mdfind -onlyin /Users/danlandrum/Documents/Brains/U01/B01 "referendum"

Please let me know what the OS response time is.  You mentioned that sometimes it takes TheBrain 7 - 8 seconds, sometimes 30.  Same results when using terminal?

Thanks,
Matt
danlandrum
Here are the results:

Terminal search with - mdfind -onlyin /Users/danlandrum/Documents/Brains/U01/B01 "referendum" - results are immediate.
Searching for "referendum" in TB9 .151 took 24 seconds on my iMac Retina 5k, but was almost instant on my MacBook Pro with the same brain.

I wonder if this is still something to do with performance on the 5k iMac?

OSX 10.13 
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
3.3 GHz Intel Core i5
32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software