pchees2008

Brain Version:  4.1.3.2
Java: 1.6.0_02
Op Sys: Windows XP

Hi

I recently upgraded my version and now the search function no longer works. When I try to search for anything it comes back with nothing even with items I know that are there.

I have tried to rebuild the search index but it does not begin and states that there are no attached web pages when I have hundreds

I have tried to rebuild the web page index but the same problem.

Any ideas what's wrong?

pchees2008

HanBav
sounds like my problem that I've posted in
http://forums.thebrain.com/tool/post/thebrain/show_single_post?pid=23462954&postcount=1
I am very unhappy with this situation. Brain is only half a Brain if search is not working. If others have this problem too, please add your comments  here in the forum to emphasize this nasty problem.

... Furthermore I think TheBrain is unique
regards Hannes from Bavaria
Brain Junky V6.x Pro / WebBrain / V7 Beta /
Win 7 Prof 64 & 32, MS Office 2010 & Outlook & Firefox & IE
Dryopithecus
I just did a test on 4.1.3.2 under XP (Java 1.6.0_01), but I can't reproduce this issue on my machine.

I haven't upgraded to 4.1.3.2 on my main system, because the "release notes document" doesn't mention this release (yet).

Perhaps downgrading to 4.1.3.1 could help, just a guess.

Yang
HanBav
Yang, thanks for testing!
Search is not always out of order with me. My last test with 4132 was an exception. "Normally" with 4207 it is working for a certain time before it gets "dislinked" again.
I too have XP but Java 1.6.0_03.
Maybe the problem is linked to a special content being indexed. Then it might be that there will be only a few victims. Bad for us.
Hannes

... Furthermore I think TheBrain is unique
regards Hannes from Bavaria
Brain Junky V6.x Pro / WebBrain / V7 Beta /
Win 7 Prof 64 & 32, MS Office 2010 & Outlook & Firefox & IE
pchees2008
Hi

It sounds like something to do with content as you say as only a couple of people have the problem so far.

I would like to downgrade and try that.

What's the earliest version of the brain the I can get access to?

Regards

pchees2008

ChrisCase
I also have problems wirth Search..  Although Thoughts are found which contain the search string,  no webpages are ever found.

As for going back to earlier versions,  I think the database is changed with the newer versions, and won't work now with earlier ones.

pchees2008
Hi

Someone pointed out to me that I may not have the index libraries installed which are separate.

I had installed them several versions back but I have never been prompted to again. Where can I get the latest versions?

Where can I download and install them from.

Regards

pchees2008

mcaton
Hello all,

Thank you everyone for pointing this out.  Everything has tested fine on our end, but we're taking a closer look into this issue now.

Thank you,
Matt
agnor
mcaton,

Just wanted to point out that this sounds like the problem I reported a while back:

http://forums.thebrain.com/tool/post/thebrain/vpost?id=2339369

Please let me know if I can do anything to help test it.

Daniel

Hello all,

If the problem is the Indexing:

The Indexing Process (File>Utilities>Rebuild Search Index) creates the following log files in the _brain folder of your Brain: Indexing.log, IndexBuilder.log and UrlIndexBuilder.log

Please post these files if you are experiencing problems during the Indexing Process. Also include the output.log file located in the installation folder of your copy of PersonalBrain.

These log files will help us to locate the Indexing Problem you found.

If the problem is the Searching:

The Searching Process also creates a log file in the _brain folder of your Brain: Search.log

You can remove this log file before a search is executed to get a clean log of the last executed search.

Please post this log file if you are experiencing problems during the Searching Process. Also include the output.log file located in the installation folder of your copy of PersonalBrain.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

dperalta@thebrain.com

Daniel

Hi Ron,

The problem you describe in your thread (http://forums.thebrain.com/tool/post/thebrain/vpost?id=2339369) is because the files that you expect as a result of the search are attached to the same thought. When a Thought has multiple attachments and more than one attachment of that Thought match with the search criteria, only the attachment with the highest score will appears as a search result, the other attachments are hidden.

Noname16.txt [Score: 0.10372141]

Noname18.txt [Score: 0.100348204]

More general, a Thought will appears as a search result if one of the following things match with the search: ThoughtName, ThoughtLabel, ThoughtTags, ThoughtNotes, ThoughtEvents and ThoughtAttachments. If more than one of these things matches with the search criteria for the same Thought, only the thing with the highest score will appears as a search result, the other things of the Thought will be hidden (this includes multiple Events and multiple Attachments).

Is this the case of other people in this thread?

Regards,

dperalta@thebrain.com

agnor
Hi Daniel,

Thank you very, very much for the information.  I'm glad to know that PB isn't just "missing" files in the search.  Had me worried.

Is there any of hope of making this behavior optional/toggle-able instead of default?  It very much reduces the benefits of adding multiple file attachments to a single thought.

Thanks,
Ron

agnor
Even a "Show similar results" button-type thing a la Google would work, so that I have the ability to bring those entries up if I need to see what else matched.

Thanks,
~Ron

Daniel

Hi Ron,

Maybe this feature (optional collapsing of results instead of default) can be added in a future release. We will consider this.

Thank you for your comments.

dperalta@thebrain.com

ChrisCase
I've asked before, but got no answer to the question:  where is the actual Index of webpages?  I assumed it would be in the INDEX subdirectory of the brain folder,  in the  PersonalContent or PersonalThoughts subfolders. but the only files there over a megabyte have modification dates of no later than Oct 2007.  If I instruct PB to rebuild the webpages search index,  it appears to be doing that,  but I find nothing changing except the log file,  and on completion, Search finds only thoughts, with no results at all that are in webpages.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software