vicanto
when I search within thoughts can I search even within names of virtual folders? Now it appear not possible.
Harlan

We decided against searching inside of virtual folders because it would require extensive indexing in the background (which is annoying often) and it would increase the scope of search to that results are less useful. (Plus it's a lot of work!)

Regards,
-Harlan
vicanto
Ok, regards. But if I import my pc directory in personalbrain I need to search within folders names (not files names). If I can't search folders names I have no pleasure and no benefit and no interesting to import directory if I can't have the targer to increase speed search within directory .
Harlan
Note that there is a difference between importing and making links to folders.

If you make a link, the files and folders are referenced from their existing location - no copy is made. The thoughts that appear in the Brain in this case are not really inside the Brain and thus are "virtual". These thought are not indexed and do not appear in the instant activate list.

If you import on the other hand, a copy of all the files is made and the folders become thoughts. These thoughts are indexed and do appear in the instant activate list.
Regards,
-Harlan
vicanto
Import directory is good for my needs (search within folders and files names) but not the best.
I don't want personalbrain destructive... but in this case if I place my files in personalbrain I lose system directory structure.
I dont' want leave system directory structure for my files (i work hard for make order with folder and files).
The best for me is that my files don't lose windows structure and folder names.
If one day I will go away from personalbrain with my files how can do it? My imported files are placed anoymously within personalbrain in folders named like this: 3A952626-FEE5-A7F0-DD0A-291D504535F3 ... and the tree structure of windows directory was lose.
The best for me is drag directory in personalbrain (virtual folders) and then search within names of folders dragged.
Yes I know. In this case:
- losed chance of index files imported, but with thoughts links (parents, children...) i can find my files...that remain placed in system structure
- "it would require extensive indexing in the background (which is annoying often) and it would increase the scope of search to that results are less useful. (Plus it's a lot of work!)".... but why I can't have chance to do It?
I suggest two type of wirtual folders:
1- with names (folders and Filese names) to be indexed (not files to be index)
2 - with names (folders and files names) that don't to be indexed (like now)
(sorry for my poor english and mistakes... I hope that you understand message)
Regards

Elmar
Hello vicanto,

my english is at least as poor as yours

vicanto wrote:
... but in this case if I place my files in personalbrain I lose system directory structure.
I dont' want leave system directory structure for my files (i work hard for make order with folder and files).

I full agree with you! For me, PB is an add-on for my file system and data. My "real things" (documents, emails, notes, bookmarks, programs) should stay in operating system and I use PB to create and manage ideas or projects, linked or connected to these "real things".

vicanto wrote:
I suggest two type of wirtual folders:
1- with names (folders and Filese names) to be indexed (not files to be index)
2 - with names (folders and files names) that don't to be indexed (like now)

Additional suggestions:
  • Show files of virtual folders as virtual thoughts instead in Prop&Attach (I remember that someone suggested this already)
  • Import bookmarks and bookmark folders also as virtual thoughts (thus they are kept in sync)
  • Perhaps emails and Notes from OneNote also as virtual thoughts?
  • Programs/Applications also as virtual thoughts?
  • PB for Desktop replacement?
Regards, Elmar.

CaliforniaJerry
Hello everyone.  I would like to throw in my vote to have Virtual Thoughts be searchable.  To me, this is not an option or a minor task, but a necessary function; a "show stopper."

Search Virtual Thoughts
One reason I want to use theBrain, as others have mentioned, is to help organize parts of my file system in ways that Windows is incapable.  I do not want to duplicate these objects into the Brain plex as this would be a waste of space and create confusion when I wanted to make changes to the data.  For example, I have a list of To Do items such as "Read This" in which I will drag the folder of an ebook I just purchased.  Such an item should not be duplicated and it must be searchable.

Alex Goodall's IM Index
You might take a look at Alex Goodall's IM Index application in which he uses MindJet's Mindmanager tools to create a very nice way to navigate your file system in the context of a mindmap.  I'd much rather use theBrain for such a purpose.

Indexing
On the subject of indexing, it does not need to be done at all times that you are using theBrain or your computer. Indexing can have an option to be scheduled for times that you are not active, such as when you are sleeping.  Also, there should be an option that allows indexing only when the computer has been inactive or idle for a set amount of time: 5, 10, 20, or 30 minutes, for example.

I hope you will see the logic behind this and schedule a feature enhancement in near future.

zenrain
Which gives me a new enhancement request. Since the OSX indexing capability doesn't include a lot of the file types indexed in the Windows version, perhaps you can integrate with Spotlight for searching specifically to the Brain folders.

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
vicanto

Are there news?

CaliforniaJerry
Harlan's reply to my PM:

Quote: Hi Jerry,

I understand why you would like search of virtual thoughts, but this is still not something we are planning at present. Thanks for your feedback.

Regards,
-Harlan

Quote: Originally Posted by CaliforniaJerry
Hi Harlan,

I am an avid fan of TheBrain except for the fact hat we can't search on Virtual files & folders.  Your response was that you made a decision not to support that feature.

http://forums.thebrain.com/tool/post/thebrain/vpost?id=1898777

With virtual search theBrain would be perfect.  Without it theBrain is simply not a usable tool for me. It really is a show-stopper, do-or-die. I don't say this to be critical, but because I'd like you to rethink this and make "A New Decision".  I definitely want to start using theBrain, but it must have this functionality in order for me to do so.

Can you let me know how you and your development team responds to my inquiry?  I'd appreciate it.  I'd like to continue this discussion...

Thanks

vicanto
see
http://forums.thebrain.com/tool/post/thebrain/vpost?id=2806129
thezeroprinciple
Adding to request.

Right to index should always be in customers hands.
Indexing of Virtual Thoughts (System Folders) should not present any more load then importing of bookmarks.

Two options.
1.  Place in Options checkbox to index Virtual Thoughts with warning that performance may take a hit relevant to number of VT's being added to index.
     Also. Can add Sub Option that if Virtual Thoughts are to be indexed, customer can specify "All" or "Levels 1 - n".  This would give option to avoid total recursive search.   
     As PB only lists System Folders as Virtual Thoughts, there is no additional load from files contained within folders as they are not listed in brain to begin with.

2.  Make available tags for VT's so they can be searched although manually putting in tags so that they can be searched is rather archaic method when it is the customers intent to index them to begin with and contrary to intuitive design of PB to not have them included in indexing to begin with.  First option is best. 

BRD
I'd like to add my voice here. With indexing of virtual folders, TheBrain becomes near indispensable; without it, brilliant but unusable for me.
CaliforniaJerry
Dusting this off a bit...

Does anyone know if the new versions of PersonalBrain allow this Search Virtual Folders functionality, yet?

zenrain
No, this is still not available, sorry.
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software