ChrisCase
Even though I have PB set to index URLs,  and it spent a long time supposedly creating the index,  no search I have run turns up anything at all but the names of thoughts.  Is there something one can do to cause it to display search results for the attached webpages?
dschach

I agree.  I also can't find a way to search for attachments either.

ChrisCase
It's not just supposed to search FOR attachments, but WITHIN them,  but doesn't do it.
ChrisCase
It's strange that there has been no response to this rather serious problem.. THe same is true of most of the other bugs I have reported, several of which are making it look as if I will have to abandon the Sitebrain project on which I have been working for ages.

What has happened to the support staff?  Why simply ignore major problems,  such as the fact that searching within attached pages doesn't work,  Open In Browser doesn't work,  and  - worst of all for me -- many browsers cannot handle the Sitebrain URL format?

zenrain
Have you e-mailed support? You may receive more attention than in the forums.
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
mcaton
Chris,

Search withing web attachments should be working fine.  PersonalBrain only has problems when pages contain frames or Java code that make the content very difficult to index.  Can you send me a few URL's that are giving you problems for us to test?

Thanks,
Matt
ChrisCase
It's not about URLs.  No matter what I search for, the results only include Thoughts within the brain.  There are no results for any external files, on the web or on the machine.  And yet when loading PB4 there is sometimes the message that it is indexing external files.  BTW, where is this index stored?
HanBav
Chris, I've posted some details about my problem with loosing search index:
http://forums.thebrain.com/tool/post/thebrain/show_single_post?pid=23426510&postcount=4
here you can find where the index is.
maybe you can find what is going wrong in indexing.log  or UrlIndexBuilder.log.
In my case the index normally is built up and works for some time (minutes) and then it is kind of disconnected, but the big files seem to be there. So it maybe "only" a problem in some pointers or "registry"?

I agree with your former post that sometimes there is no answer to real problems. I thought it is more efficient to post it in the forum instead of hiding it in an email to staff. Any suggestion to the best way of dealing with problems from staff?

... Furthermore I think TheBrain is unique
regards Hannes from Bavaria
Brain Junky V6.x Pro / WebBrain / V7 Beta /
Win 7 Prof 64 & 32, MS Office 2010 & Outlook & Firefox & IE
mcaton
Chris and HanBav,

A few questions to help us troubleshoot the problem:

Which version of PB are you running and on what OS?
After performing a basic search, can you send me a copy of your output.log file (Program Files/PersonalBrain/output.log)?  - please feel free to send the files directly to matt@thebrain.com for faster response.

Thank you,
Matt

ChrisCase
After doing a search there is no change in the output log; it remains dated two days ago.
ChrisCase
Can someone tell me where the index is supposed to be located?
HanBav
Chris,
missed my input 3 posts below? (yesterday 7:01 PM)

... Furthermore I think TheBrain is unique
regards Hannes from Bavaria
Brain Junky V6.x Pro / WebBrain / V7 Beta /
Win 7 Prof 64 & 32, MS Office 2010 & Outlook & Firefox & IE
ChrisCase
I saw the post,  but your C:\Brain\Brain01_brain\Index\ does not correspond to anything I find on my drive, in the PB4 program folder or anywhere else I've looked.  Nor do I find indexing.log  or UrlIndexBuilder.log.
Darkstar
Your \Index directory should be located under your brain file and its directory. If you store your brains in the "My Documents" directory, start looking there for your personal brains.
-Darkstar
ChrisCase
OK, thanks, I found the Index directory.  What is the name of the index file itself for web content?  In the Index directory I find the subdirectories PersonalContent and PersonalThoughts.  I assumed it was the PersonalThoughts folder that would hold the index for URLs and other Thought attachements.  There is a file in there called _eac.cfs , but it is only 1,198kb,  and the brain itself has about 10,000 thoughts, most of them with URLs.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software