lunatrix
Hello
Is there a way to search within a selection?
Or is there a better way to achieve my goal, which is an easy way to find all thoughts within a certain criterion (typically: descendants of a specific thought) that have a particular tag?
Thanks!
PaulaO
You can search by tag. Upper left above the plex. Click the tag button and it will list them all.
Take a deep breath and count to zen.
zenrain
In TheBrain 9, add thoughts to the selection. 
In the search box, type your term. In the results below there will be a Selection Only checkbox. Check that.

You can also search the name and label (not content) in the report function, so select your criteria and then type in the search box.
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.250
lunatrix

Thanks Paula - that lists all the tags I have. I want to list all the thoughts in my selection that have a specific tag.

Thanks Zenrain - that is helpful, except I don't know how to use the search bar to search for thoughts with tags. I think this is normally done by reporting - but then we don't have that 'search within selection' option. That's all AFAIK - happy to be shown a way!

Thanks both for your tips! 

PaulaO
Yes. Click the tag and all thoughts with that tag will be listed.

Have you viewed the Tutorial videos? Not as easy to use as an actual manual but they are divided up into chunks. There's one on using the search and another on thought tags and usage.

https://www.thebrain.com/support/tutorials
Take a deep breath and count to zen.
lunatrix
Thanks again Paula - but that's not what I want to do!

I want to make a selection (e.g. of children up to 4 generations below a particular thought) and then find all thoughts WITHIN THAT SELECTION that have a particular tag.

Actually I've discovered it is a little easier to do this than I originally thought. Although thoughts within a selection don't show their tags overtly, tags do show up when you hover over each thought.

That's ok when you are searching specifically for tags within a small selection.

But I still think it would be useful to have a 'search within selection' function that would allow more general searching than just searching for a search term within the selection (as described by Zenrain).

I assumed there would be such a thing somewhere - hence my question, in case I had missed the way to do this.

Hope that clarifies what I am looking for.

Cheers!
Helen
Antonio68
Hi Helen,

one way to perform what you describe is to use a two step search.
1) Search for something, select, add to the selection a specific tag, e.g: "Search"
2) Select the tag "Search", now you can search inside this first group of items

you can build complex searched using several tags "Search1 , 2, 3 and so on"
Hope this help
Antonio
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013)

2,7 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

lunatrix
Thanks Antonio
Sorry if I am being dense but I am not sure I follow what you mean. When I do this and select the tag SEARCH I just see all thoughts with that tag, as before - the selection seems to have no effect.
I did try, as part of my exploring, selecting the thought whose children I wanted to search, adding the tag to the selection, and clicking EDIT - SHOW COMMON CHILDREN, clicking to increase generations. However it did not appear to give clear or reliable results.
But I have the feeling what you are suggesting is something different?
Cerebrum
lunatrix wrote:
I did try ... selecting the thought whose children I wanted to search, adding the tag to the selection, and clicking EDIT - SHOW COMMON CHILDREN, clicking to increase generations. However it did not appear to give clear or reliable results.
That's a great idea! Thanks.
It worked for me. I was able to find all Children with a particular Tag.

In what way did it not work for you?
Antonio68
Hi Helen,

try to open the report and on Tags select Search and the tag you want to combine. Clicking on the tag you can visualize a + that combine the tag as "AND" or a - that combine the tag as "NOT". You can then search for a tag inside a preselection or even exclude them. The result of the report can then added to the selection re-tagged to build more complex searches.
E.g.: you can build an OR by selecting the tag Search and add to selection, then select your tag of choice and add to the selection. The resulting selection is an OR collection that can be tagged for further analysis.
I hope this helps
Antonio
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013)

2,7 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

lunatrix
Thanks Cerebrum
I think it probably works ok for some combinations. For mine, it did not catch all or only the thoughts I wanted.
Also it displays results in a little panel that needs to be scrolled to see all the thoughts, does not show all thought info, and disappears when you click away.

To be honest, this is one of those recurring Brain frustrations for me (I am a long time user)! It is so great for some things but so frustrating for others - and for me some of those 'others' are kind of mission-critical.

Maybe if I say what I want to do? 

I work on several different topics. When I have an intense time on one of them, I dump ideas or info re the others into my brain, loosely classified under the appropriate topic. I tag important thoughts with #attention, so when I get back to that topic, I can give attention to those thoughts.

So over time I get quite a lot of #attention tags. Now I want to review them. But I don't want a whole screenful of them - I want to look at them according to the topic they are under, then the subtopic etc. So I can explore each group, find commonalities, classify and link them appropriately - all that brain goodness.

However finding thoughts that are BOTH under a particular topic/subtopic thought, and tagged #attention turns out to be very hard to do! You can report on all kinds combinations of of tags and types; and you can select all kinds of groups of thoughts and search within that selection. 

But you can't (evidently) select a bunch of topic/subtopic thoughts and search within that selection for a particular tag or tag/type combo. 

I'm surprised this isn't a lack that others have noticed - so very much hoping that it isn't a lack at all, and I have just been going about it all wrong (it happens!).

I'd love to find I've been missing a simple, easily workable way to do it - so please tell me if you have a good solution. 

Otherwise I guess it is over to the feature requests for a more general 'search within selection' function than the one we have?
lunatrix
Thanks again Antonio. I appreciate your help, but once again it is not quite what I am aiming to achieve. 
As far as I can see (correct me if I am wrong) reporting gives a way to report on combinations of types and tags. I wanted combinations of a tag and children of a named thought.

See above. In fact it is occurring to me that maybe I need to turn my topics into tags - but as there are no subcategories in tags, it gives a long, cumbersome list.

Anyway - thanks again to all!
metta
+1 for search within selected children
+1 for nested tags (tags with subcategories)
ruudhein
Also:

+1 for search within selected children
+1 for nested tags (tags with subcategories)
Using: Evernote | FilterizeDynalist | InstaPaper | TheBrain v10.0.6.0

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software