agnor
Hi, I've been playing around with Personal Brain, and as part of that, I've attached text documents to thoughts (both real text documents and documents I've created with lipsum.org text).  The issue I'm experiencing is that PB doesn't always return results that I know are there.  For example, I'll open up a document that's attached to a thought, grab a 1-3 word phrase from the document that I know exists in other documents, and then tell PB to search for it.  PB will return some results, but often not the file that I grabbed the phrase from in the first place!

It seems like it's "missing" some files when it searches or reports results.  Does anyone have any idea why I might be seeing this behavior?

I've rerun the "rebuild search index" command countless times, and it apparently completes successfully.  I have no errors listed in the output.log file.  This also happens whether I use the basic or advanced search.

This is PB version 4.1.2.7 on Windows XP.

Thank you very much.
Ron

mcaton
Ron,

This sounds similar to a recent thread on Searching Large PDF files.  The first thing I would take a look at is the size of the file.   There is a limitation in the file conversion library that is set in place to avoid the amount of memory and resources required to convert very large files.

If that is not the case, do your searches consistantly miss the same files?  Could I have a look at one(for some in house testing) that is not searchable?

Thanks,
Matt
agnor
Hi,

Sorry it took me so long to respond.  Just finished finals week.

It's definitely not a size issue--the files are small text files, usually less then 1k in size.

I'm attaching the output of various log files, as well as including a zip of the test text files in question.

In this example, I searched for "Lorem ipsum", copied out of "noname18.txt", and the only search result found was "noname16.txt".  All the files are attached to one thought.

mcaton
Ron,

Thanks for the post.  We'll take a closer look at this.

Matt
agnor
You bet.  Let me know if I can do anything else to help.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software