GerSch
If I have all digital informations in TheBrain 9, if I use the method Getting Things Done (GTD) from David Allen it would be great to integrate task management in TheBrain 9, too. How?? Do you have any good ideas? How do you work?

A calendar is coming...
2016.11.25_14h49m34s.png
I don´t know how this works together with tasks. @Harlan if it is possible at this time could you explain more in detail how your solution is working?

1. I thought about using the notes section of TheBrain. One thought a day with all my tasks (intern linked to the tasks in the bigger context) I´ve done the day, but there is no drag & drop of the checklist items, checked off items are not jumping to the end of the list and son on (like in Google Keep)...

2. I tested with Todoist (www.todoist.com) and Nozbe (www.nozbe.com). These apps are working responsive so that you can use it fine in the intern browser of TheBrain. All tasks have an unique url so you can link them to TheBrain.

The question is do I´m working alone or in a team? That are totally different use cases. It must be an approach who is working on Desktop and on Mobile. At the moment we all do not know how the mobile apps are working...

For me it is great to have the overview of all my tasks and calendar entries of a day in one view...

I´m interested how you organize your busy working and private day! Tell me...

danlandrum
Here's a practical example.

My wife asked me a few minutes ago if there might be anything we should buy today (Amazon Black Friday sales) for our current home remodel project. I opened TB9, used the attachment search for all thoughts with .taskpaper files, clicked the applicable file which opened in Taskpaper, found an item that might apply, right-clicked it and shared it to Apple Reminders which made it available on all my devices. It defaulted to my Today list in Reminders. 

The downside to this is if I complete it in Reminders, it will still be in theBrain. That sort of thing used to bug me, but seriously, I'm going to see it when I review again, plus if I really needed to clear it off of some list it would also mean I needed to create a follow up task which I also would have captured in Apple Reminders. If I was on the go I probably would have used Siri. If I was still at my desk it would have gone directly to a Taskpaper list. In this case Amazon didn't have what I was looking for, so I marked the item complete in Reminders and left it on the Taskpaper list. 

Summary: I'm using Apple Reminders to catch items quickly, Taskpaper docs created within theBrain for project management (one per), and Omnifocus for managing my scheduled reviews and more complicated (nested, etc.) lists. I think I'll eventually phase out OmniFocus and use just a calendar. I'm hoping the iOS version of TB9 will create some new conveniences. I'm also anxiously looking forward to the return of the TB9 calendar. It sounds like a great fit.
OSX 10.13 
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
3.3 GHz Intel Core i5
32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
dhaney
I've used TB for task management for several years. I've tried many ways to do it, but currently I have thought types of "To Do" and "Waiting On" (also as pins), so that I can switch from one to the other if I assign a task or have to wait on someone else before I get back to it. The I have numerous tags--for individuals I meet with regularly, a "today" tag for immediate items, "phone call," "email," etc. So I can call up all the thoughts grouped under either of the thought types or any of the tags, which also calls up their context within the plex (though ephemeral items can exist as orphans under the tag or thought type).  If the thoughts themselves could have start and end dates, then that would make the system much better. Obviously we need TB on mobile platforms for this to work best (though since I switched to a Surface Pro as my main device I am rarely without it).  I've tried various integrations with Outlook and Google, but I've come to the conclusion that the more I can do within TB, the better my task management is. 
zenrain
I used to be a big OmniFocus user, but after a "paring down" experiment I realized there was a lot of cognitive load associated with it, and I just don't have projects that require that level of complexity. So take my workflow with a grain of salt.

My biggest issue (and the thing that kept me in OF so long) is recurring items (monthly, weekly and daily). I'm one of those people who needs a reminder, otherwise I'd forget it. For these I now use iOS reminders. It's built in, it's integrated with Fantastical 2 (my calendar app of choice) and TaskPaper. 
For lists of stuff that are moderately complex, but the tasks are stand-alone I use TaskPaper. It's a macOS app that is text based but packs quite a bit of power under the hood for searching, filtering, grouping and ordering. I have one main TaskPaper document for most stand-alone tasks, or non project or complex based items. 

For project items, I use TheBrain and have a template thought that I duplicate. Up at the top of the project's note I have a Tasks section. I generally add project related tasks here. Projects are a Thought Type, but I also have a current|work tag (and a current|home tag) that I assign what I'm actively working on. Also, any thought which has a task associated with it gets the Tasks tag assigned to it. I'm hoping at some point there will be a report that shows thoughts with uncompleted tasks, but until then, this is a nice workaround. When I've completed all the tasks on that thought, I remove the tag. [smile]

Finally, I have a Weekly thought, and then daily thoughts under them. For each daily thought I usually write down what tasks or projects I worked on, linking it if there's a designated thought for that item (and adding details on what happened with it for that day on the project/task thought).
At the end of the week I summarize the important daily tasks I completed into a bullet point list that I can easily reference. 

Quite frankly, after doing this for a while, this last step has become invaluable to me as a reference for what occurred and changes that have been made. It's a practice that has evolved over time and I would highly recommend it for anyone maintaining a personal knowledgebase.
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.230
pthompson
Some very good insights here. I also go the TaskPaper and Apple Reminders route very similar to what zenrain is going actually but I use Apple's built-in calendar and not Fantastical.
metta
@GerSch

Just wondering: Have you come up with a task management system that is working for you in TheBrain?

If so, I'd be interested to know that system you are currently using.

Thanks.
vmilhoan
@metta - I realize this was targeted at @GerSch, but I've been working through the same workflow/task management issues and though I'd share (and get feedback). 

I had a method of GTD somewhat implemented in TB:

"Runway" thought: this is where I capture the random notes on-the-fly during the day
"Project" thought types: I have a thought for each project. This allows me to then link to all of the associate thoughts:
  • Child thoughts: Strategy, Documents, Meeting Notes, Links to other reference material in other thoughts
  • Parent thoughts: Companies Involved
  • Jump thoughts: People involved

In the "Project" thought itself, I have some info on the project and a checklist of tasks at the top of the thought. It looks like:

Capture.PNG

I also have thought types of "Action", "Waiting", and "Completed". I have utilized those but I honestly like having all my tasks in the Project notes area because it is less space on the plex I'm taking up and it's just easier to cross things off rather than change the thought type. Also, its a quick reference to have things crossed off. I can look at my project and know "oh yeah - I already did that".

I can get a list of my projects from the reports area and then I can either mark them with tag "Today" or change to thought type "Priority Project" to then get a listing of stuff I really want to get done today.

I've been playing around with putting my tasks into an actual task manager. (still keeping my Project area the same as above because I need to know all the details about the project, just moving the tasks somewhere else). I've tested 2 of them - Nozbe and Todoist. I really like both for a variety of reasons:

Todoist has:

• Integration with Alexa so I can tell my Echo to add an item to my to-do-list or my shopping list (my kids love to add things like toys and candy!).
  • Sub-projects
  • Outlook add-in so I can add tasks from Outlook as I'm processing email and I can also add a link to the email itself
    • Note that clicking the email link causes the Todoist add-in to search for the ID of the email - and it takes a LONG time because I have so many to search through
  • Cheap - about $30 a year

Nozbe has:

• A Windows native app
  • My favorite: a Windows quick entry option so I can press Ctrl-F12 and add a task that goes into my Nozbe Inbox
    • I can be in TB taking notes from a meeting, then when someone says "Can you take care of this task", I hit Ctrl-F12, a small box pops up, I enter my text, hit Enter, and I'm back to where I was in TB.
  • A "priority" concept. I can review my tasks/projects in Nozbe and quickly mark any task with the priority star - this essentially creates my list of things to do for the day without having to modify task dates. It's much easier than setting priority values or modifying task dates in Todoist.
  • Expensive: $90ish a year but I hear they have good Black Friday deals.

I've also been using Evernote to take meeting notes because I can use TaskClone to take all checkbox-marked lines in Evernote and put them into Todoist or Nozbe automatically. So, I'll never miss a task that way. Once I process Evernote and move stuff out of the Evernote "Inbox" I put a link to that note in TB under "Meeting Notes" of a "Project".

So - lots of great tools and I"m having a hard time deciding what to do. I definitely am using TB as my information manager and project information repo. I think my problem is: I need time to review my tasks - whether they are in TB, Todoist, or Nozbe. Using Evernote/Task App/TB seems like tool overload, though. I think that's why I'm struggling. For today, I'll be following this workflow and testing out how efficient I can be:

(1) Take a meeting note in Evernote, mark tasks with checkbox (TaskClone then creates the task in Nozbe)
(2) Link the Evernote note into TB and then file it away
(3) Mark the stuff I need to take care of Nozbe with "priority"
(4) Use TB as my information base throughout the day (I am constantly switching projects - I probably work on or discuss up to 20 projects a day)
(5) Any information I gather that's not a formal meeting (more of information capture) will go directly into TB.

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome!

Edit to add: I am taking a lot of meeting notes in Evernote due to the fact that it has handwriting capabilities. No need for a paper notebook in a meeting now if am presenting from my laptop. I can use my Samsung Note with stylus and enter notes into Evernote.
metta
Thank you very much, vmilhoan, for your detailed and helpful feedback!

I use a variety of InBox and topical QuickDrop thoughts for collecting non-time sensitive links, notes and lists that I don't have time to immediately integrate into the larger structure of my megabrain.

Anything that is time sensitive immediately goes into the appropriate thought in TB, or onto a desktop sticky note until I have time to add it into TB. Sounds like this sticky note might be the equivalent of your "Runway' thought. (For those who are interested, the most versatile and feature-rich sticky note program I've found is Notezilla.)

The project management strategy you are using is almost identical to the approach I've been using. I've even created a standard set of default thoughts and standard task lists within the thought notes that I use as a starting point for each new client engagement.

The main difference is that I use tags (rather than thought types) to indicate the status on any individual thought (priority, pending, etc.) I prefer using thought types as a designation of type that does not change:
Project Name (Top Header)
> Project Information
-- Links
-- Note descriptions, etc.
> Contacts
-- Contact info
-- Tasks & follow-up notes
-- Communication notes
-- Engagement history, etc.
> Documents + Desktop Folder Links
-- Meeting Agendas
-- Webinar notes
-- Call notes
-- Emails
-- Orders
> Facilities
-- Location info
-- Logistical details
-- Event planning, etc.
> Archive (all completed tasks and/or no longer relevant thoughts)

So far this strategy has worked quite well, and I've continued to refine it over the last several years. The challenge for me has been using TheBrain to manage a wide variety of disparate (and often nested) tasks associated with multiple work and personal projects. (I store everything in one mega brain, and would ideally like to be able to manage everything within "one trusted system".)

For individual projects, the benefit of listing my tasks within my thought notes is that I can quickly (manually) reorder my task lists when/as needed. (The is especially important for me since we can't manually reorder thoughts without editing the thought name or changing the thought type.)

However, the limitation of detailing a wide variety of disparate tasks within the thought notes is that they end up being spread all over the place in my megabrain, and except for tagging (or sorting with parent thoughts), I haven't found a good (simple, quick and easy) way of selectively filteringeasily ordering, and broadly visualizing these disparate and nested tasks within TB itself.

For this reason, I certainly understand your interest in integrating an external Task Manager with TheBrain. Over the years, I've tried more task management apps than I can count, and I now rely on a simple visual task management system I developed for myself outside TheBrain.

However, beyond my typically sequential project management tasks, I've never found a really good system for sequencing, ordering, visualizing and managing the complex mix of my daily tasks within TheBrain. Several times, I've tried using a hierarchy of Weekly/Daily thoughts for task management, but I was never able to make this work, for a variety of reasons:
> There was no easy to manually reorder daily thoughts on the fly (without renaming or changing the thought type)
> There was no easy way to get one big picture (simultaneous view) of all my daily tasks for the week
> I found myself spending a huge amount of time moving and reorganizing thoughts rather than executing the work.

In light of this, I'll be very interested in any additional comments and feedback from others who have found a way to effectively manage complex and disparate tasks either within TheBrain or outside of, but linked to, TheBrain.

Unfortunately, I'm still on a PC so I can't take advantage of Taskpaper, but I may take a look at ToDoist and Nozbe again at some point in the future. Thanks again!
metta
Also, GerSch, I do appreciate the distinction you made in your original post between the 2 different use cases you face: personal task management and team task management. In my own case, my partner and I are independent consultants, and the nature of our work is such that we rarely have to coordinate tasks between multiple team members -- so I can't really offer any great suggestions or insights on how to address this issue.

Out of curiosity, though, I have explored a wide variety of collaborative project management apps-- and I'm wondering: is this anything that you and your team members have considered using? Or, have you ever looked into the TeamBrain?

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software