jbthebrainuser
Version of PersonalBrain: 4.0.9.0  Pro Trial
OS (Windows XP, Vista, Mac OS, Ubuntu, etcetera) Windows XP Pro
Java version (it's shown in the PB about screen after "J-") 1.6.0_02

Description of the problem:
In my eval of Personal Brain, I have attached two PDFs from your site to a thought:  PersonalBrain_3_02_User_Guide.pdf and PersonalBrain_4_Transition_Guide.pdf

When I search for terms that I know is in the PDFs (like "activation"), I get no search results.

Copying the contents of the PDF to a text file and attaching the text file does produce hits.

So, it seems that the attached PDFs are not being indexed.

Searching attachments is a huge selling point for me.

thanx,
julius
Dryopithecus
Hi julius, as far as I know, the trail version can only index .txt files and webpages. But the registered Core/Pro version can index over 200 file formats including PDF, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.

More info: http://forums.thebrain.com/tool/post/thebrain/vpost?id=1998230

Regards,
Yang
jbthebrainuser
That's dissappointing especially at the price point of the product.  I expected the trial of pro to be a full trial.  Now, I have to base my purchase decision on faith.

So, does searching through PDF files work?
SamCox
Searching for text within PDF files seems to work for me. To verify this, I removed all traces of a certain phrase from the thought itself -- including text in the note, in the label, in the tags -- and executed a search which found the text and correctly identified the linked PDF file. With the phrase present in any of the aforementioned places (e.g., tags), the thought was found, of course, but the PDF file was not identified as containing the text.

Hope this helps,
-- Sam

zenrain
This functionality is just available in Windows so far.
Searching .pdf's does not function in OSX, and we don't have an estimated time when it will be available.

Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
Dryopithecus
jbthebrainuser wrote:
That's dissappointing especially at the price point of the product.  I expected the trial of pro to be a full trial.  Now, I have to base my purchase decision on faith.

So, does searching through PDF files work?

I feel it works quite well on my system.

I have the "PersonalBrain_4_Transition_Guide.pdf" attached too, and it does return the right results when I search for "activation".

Regards,
Yang
Click image for larger version - Name: pb.png, Views: 130, Size: 18.23 KB
Harlan
Julius, we would love to be able to give everyone a free trial of searching within PDFs and other files, however this is not possible due to the costs involved. (The file conversion software costs us money to distribute and we cannot afford to give it away for free, even for a limited trial.)

The search functionality of PB will show previews of where the search terms appear most prominently. This means if it is in the text of the thought it will appear there first.

Regards,
-Harlan

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software