Andy
Hi,

I'm still having problems with searching for stuff.

I've modified SearchEngine.xml in D:\Program Files\PersonalBrain\res

And removed all entries from <Property name="additionalBreakSymbols" value=""/>

This doesn't make a blind bit of difference

If I search for <Name> or =Name= or anything like that - it always finds Name regardless of the things around it.

Obviously I must be doing something wrong - is this the only file to change?

When I've changed it - I close PersonalBrain and open it up again

Any help would be great!

Cheers

Andy
Harlan
Hi Andy,

Sorry that hasn't worked... I haven't actually tried it, but I thought that might do the trick. Search was really designed to ignore punctuation, so that is why you are having problems... Can you refresh my memory as to why you want to have special characters included in your searches? Maybe there is another way to accomplish what you want.

Regards,
-Harlan
Andy
Basically I'm trying to use tags to associate entities without having an actual line on the screen.

If I have a top level entity with the name of 'Whatever', with sub level entities that belong to it - I tag them as 'Whatever' so they belong to the entity and can be found in a search

However, 'whatever' might be all over the shop and I might want to search on different things

If I had as a Tag

This, That, Something else

Then it will find them - but there may well be other matches that are unwanted for this search

However if there are three types of tag I'm going to use (Each denoting something different) then you could maybe use

[This] <That> {Something Else}

This would mean you could find ALL entries that you want and only those entries

For instance if you had information relating to music, you might have:

Genres [Blues] [Jazz] [Country]
Artist {New Order} {Rolling Stones}
Year Charted <1982-01-01> <1984> <1986-02>

etc. etc.

If you searched for [Blues] - you would know for a fact that you've actually found all entities that are relating to Blues - you haven't got any other dodgy search results that you don't want 

If you searched for <1982 - You Know you will find all chart entries that were charted in 1982 and <1982-01 would be January

This is one example - but obviously there are many different additional characters you can use for the search which guarantees the thing you are trying to find.

-------------------------

A better way obviously to be able to get around this would be if the program allowed you to create a TAG VALUE of 'Genre' - and then you could assign multiple Genres to a TAG for a Song or Album or even artist.

You could then include TAG Values for any entity that you'd want to create

Once done - you'd be able to do a search on all GENRES (TAGS) that matched 'Blues' and you'd be guaranteed of finding just the GENRE in the TAG that you wanted without 1,001 other matches on other things that just happened to have had 'blues' in the title.

Obviously in the real-world applications it doesn't take much to realise the usefulness of being able to add additional searchable information which will add to the search results you require.

At the moment most searches I do come up with loads of nearly random unexpected search results which I have to trawl through to find what I'm after.

Hope all that makes sense?

Regards

Andy
Harlan
Hi Andy,

Yes, I understand what you are trying to do now.

We are planning on completely revamping the "tags" section of PB so that you will be able to easily select items based on tags and also see what existing tags you have setup.

I think this coming implementation of a real tagging system will address your needs much more effectively than the search ever could.

Please be patient as this feature is a major undertaking which will take some time. Thanks.
Regards,
-Harlan
Andy
Hi Harlan,

That's great - I'll wait and see what happens with the tags

Cheers for the reply

Regards

Andy

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software