MartinGregory

How can I make it so that I can tell that there is a note on a link?

(I have a preferences setting that says to "show notes and event indicators", but this doesn't seem to be doing that for notes on link)

metta
Good question, Martin! I'll be looking forward to feedback from TB staff on this.

In the meantime, my work-around for identifying link notes is to use a special link type exclusively for link notes which could have either a unique color, weight and/or label.

The nice thing about this strategy is that (in TB9) you can use the report function to bring up a list of all the thoughts connected to the link type in question.
MartinGregory
This sounds like it could work, except can you persuade TB not to display the "ugly" link-type label over the link?   

Right now, if I give a link a "type" it gets a prominent text label saying that it is of this type, which is far too distracting...
zenrain
Currently this is not possible programmatically, it's been requested a few times. [smile]
See here for an idea...
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.230
MartinGregory
Thanks, that idea solves the immediate problem I bumped into (before then I just used a '-').   It's a shame you have to do it every time you create such a link, but at least it works.
zenrain
Glad that works as a workaround. I'm all about the instant gratification. [biggrin]
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.230
metta
Martin, putting text in the link label is completely optional.

You'll see this if you go to the properties for the link type, remove the label, and then save the link type.

Much to my surprise, you can even create reports on your unnamed link types, so this might be an option that would work for you. :-)

Let us know what you think, if you decide to give this a try....

Thanks also, ZenRain, for sharing your clever graphic option. :-)
MartinGregory
The problem is that if you don't put text in the link label, then you get the name of the link type showing up as the label.

Or at least, that's what happens to me.

Is there a way to avoid that?   Then you could have just different colour for links with attachments. 

And it still seems like you have to adjust this every time you make a link of this type?   Can you make links of a certain type "always" appear a certain way?

metta
Just to clarify, Martin.....

If you edit the individual link properties, you'll have to make the same change to each and every link:

1-LinkProperties.png 

However, if you edit the link TYPE, these changes will apply to ALL links assigned this type:

2-LinkType.png 

You'll see the link type is accessible if you click on the pencil at the bottom of the first image.

You'll also see this sample link has no label -- only a color change.

Hope this helps! ;-)
MartinGregory
Hah - I wondered what that second edit box did.

And you are right - in that second one you can leave the label blank, and the required effect is achieved (unlike in the case of the individual label, which you can't leave blank and get "nothing")

The only sad side effect of this is that the link type itself then loses it's name:

Screenshot 2017-10-28 12.00.40.png 
metta
Understood.

However, TB is still apparently "smart" enough to recognize the unnamed link type exists both in the link list you highlighted and in the link report option, so unless a user ends up creating a LOT of different unnamed link types, I think it will still be workable.

You are right, though. The ideal solution would be to have a clearly defined link name with a completely separate link label that could be used (or not) as desired by the brain owner.

Perhaps this could be submitted a specific feature request, if it is not already on the list?
MartinGregory

Yeah - it'd be good to have.  It seems that it's more of a bug than a feature: the "show notes and event indicators" option should apply to links as well.

That being said, I've realised that because I didn't understand the difference between editing a link and a link type, I didn't understand @zenrain's suggestion properly.

When you put the "attachment icon" into the link type label, it's actually quite a workable workaround!

(I had previously mistakenly put it in the link label)

Harlan
Just confirming that there is indeed a pending feature request for visual indicators on link when notes exist. The feature request also applies to attachments added to links.
Regards,
-Harlan
metta
Just wondering.....

Does this feature request include:
  • the option to have a link name separate from a link label?
  • the option to turn the link note indicator off/on?
Harlan
No, having a separate name and label for links would be a separate feature request as it is independent. (But I'm not sure why you would want that in the first place... What is a link name and how is it different than a link label?

Yes, there would be a preference to turn the indicators on and off, just like those for thoughts.
Regards,
-Harlan

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software