zenrain
With TheBrain iOS you can send web pages to the inbox to attach them to thoughts using a bookmarklet. 
This is fine inside of a browser, but what about from other apps?

The URL Scheme TheBrain iOS uses is 

Code:
brain://app/api/inbox?url=[URL]&title=[Title]

One of the more popular "automation" applications for iOS is Drafts (hint, if you are using iOS you should be using Drafts), and a lot of applications support sending information there. 
You can create a URL Custom Action as follows:

Code:
brain://app/api/inbox?url=[[body]]&title=[[title]]

This will use the first line of a note as the Title of the URL you are sending, and the rest as the URL.

I've also done something similar in Mr Reader (an RSS Reader). You can use the following code to create a custom App services to send the Title and the URL to TheBrain:

Code:
brain://app/api/inbox?url={[URL]}&title={[TITLE]}

You could probably create the same sort of thing in LaunchCenter Pro.

Hopefully TheBrain will beef up the URL automation for iOS in future releases (allowing us to create a new thought from scratch and pass the thought name and notes as well, and including x-callback-url support) but this is a promising start.

Enjoy! [smile]
macOS 10.12.3
TheBrain 9.0.157
andreas
Thank you for the Mr.Reader -> Brain import. That's simply wonderful!
This allows me to rapidly import information to specific thoughts (that I obviously chose first). This rapid filing is important as I have discovered that importing everything into a general thought and having to file thoughts at a later time leads to a lot of unfiled documents...
For the first time I now have a rapid filing method at hand. Now it would just be wonderful if I could create a thought directly from the brain-inbox without having to create a specific thought first.
zenrain
Glad this helped.

As a somewhat related note, I've found the quickest method to create thoughts from items in TheBrain Inbox is (unfortunately this requires a step at the desktop)
  1. Designate a thought as a catch-all thought for your Inbox items
  2. When you send a web page to the inbox, activate the catch all thought (could be your home thought) and attach the URL to it
  3. When at your desktop, drag the URL from the Thought attachments into the plex to create it's own thought.
Not a particularly graceful solution, but you can process batches of hyperlinks relatively easily.
macOS 10.12.3
TheBrain 9.0.157
pthompson
zenrain,

This will be added as a feature request. Thank you.
Patrick Thompson
TheBrain Technologies
DwayneDibbley
Hi. Can you shed a bit more light on these URL schemes for the Brain please. The Bookmarklet works fine but neither the drafts code that you supply or the Mr Reader one seems to work. With Drafts I just get an error and with Me Reeder it says app not installed.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?
pthompson
DwayneDibbley,

I haven't tried these myself, but I am assuming that you need to install the specific apps in order for these to work.
Patrick Thompson
TheBrain Technologies
zenrain
If you have both TheBrain and Mr Reader installed go to Settings > Services > Other App > Add Other App.

I used the following settings:
App Name TheBrain
Protocol brain:

URL Scheme Template
brain://app/api/inbox?url={[URL]}&Title={[TITLE]}

I also attached the action in the zip file.

For Drafts I shared the url, it's as follows:
drafts://x-callback-url/import_action?type=URL&name=Send%20to%20TheBrain&url=brain%3A%2F%2Fapp%2Fapi%2Finbox%3Furl%3D%5B%5Bbody%5D%5D%26title%3D%5B%5Btitle%5D%5D

Theoretically, clicking the link in your iPad/iPhone will open Drafts and add it.
Remember, the first line must be the title of the web page, the second the URL.

macOS 10.12.3
TheBrain 9.0.157
DwayneDibbley
Thanks zenrain works perfectly now. For Mr Reader I'd made a stupid typo. For drafts (and perhaps this is caused by reading your post on my ipad) your code snipet earlier in the post was different to the one you've provided now.

Presumably the drafts action could be modified to use a url that I had previously copied? I need to swot up on url schemes in drafts again. I suspect my most likely workflow would be see a url somewhere - email, Facebook etc, copy it go to drafts add a thought title and send to Brain.

I'm so pleased TheBrain is at last available on the iPad. Early days but I can see it replacing Evernote for me. Improvements that I can immediately think of -

1. Need to be able to "open in" from other apps.
2. Ability to copy a link to a thought into another app (a notes type app most likely)
3. On the web interface you could create a new thought by dragging from a thought with your finger - this is a much more intuitive way to add thoughts and needs adding to the app.
4. (Very important) - Need to be able to designate thoughts (with attachments) to be accessible offline. Evernote does this very well.

I've always loved TheBrain though and this is a fantastic start.

Thanks again.

Chris.
Brigitte
Thanks for the feedback and additional feature requests. We do have plans for local storage in the future but no time frame on this yet.

Brigitte
TheBrain Technologies
PaddyVA
zenrain wrote: ... (hint, if you are using iOS you should be using Drafts) ...
Enjoy! [smile]

I didn't know your could do that w Drafts!!  I've had Drafts on my want list for a while, but only as just one more iOS writing app.  This URL capability opens up new avenues for interchanges.

Did a quick Google search, "ios app drafts" and came up with several promising articles, particularly this one:  
"Automating iOS: A Comprehensive Guide to URL Schemes and Drafts Actions"  http://www.macstories.net/tutorials/guide-url-scheme-ios-drafts/

I've been using URL schemes in LifeTopix, primarily for launching from one location, but the URLs aren't that easy to find, and many apps don't seem to support them.  Here's one listing I've found:  http://handleopenurl.com/ .

Thanks Zenrain, and thanks to TB Team for iOS Brain and all these new opportunities!

Pat

zenrain
iOS 8 is out and we don't have a Share extension yet for TheBrain.
However...
If you own Workflow you have the next best thing.

I'm attaching a workflow action extension (sorry, I had to zip it as the forum doesn't allow me to upload the .wflow file). 
If you have Workflow installed on iOS, open the unzipped workflow action extension and it will add it to your workflows.

To enable Workflow Action extensions:
Go into Safari, and click the Share button on a website. In the bottom list of actions, scroll to the right and click More and then activate the Run Workflow activity (and I dragged it to the top of the list).

Now, for the good stuff.
When you are on a page you want to save to TheBrain iOS, click the Share Button and then Run Workflow. Choose To TheBrain.

It will open Workflow, then give you a prompt to set the Thought Name and pre-fill with the title of the web page (I added this step because I often want to remove part of the URL title or modify it somehow for the name of the Thought). You can leave as is if you want.
It will then open TheBrain app and add the page to the Inbox as normal.

Here's the reason I did this. Create a new thought, and in the thought name, Paste. It will paste the title you modified (or kept as is). Then add the attachment and choose the URL from the inbox.

Note: I kept the normal web page title as the Title that is passed to TheBrain rather than the title modified to use as the thought name.

And there you have it. The quickest way we have to get a page into TheBrain and use the page title as the thought name. 

Enjoy!

macOS 10.12.3
TheBrain 9.0.157
danlandrum
Zenrain, dude! Thanks.

OSX 10.13 
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
3.3 GHz Intel Core i5
32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
pthompson
Thanks for s haring this zenrain.
Patrick Thompson
TheBrain Technologies
zenrain
I've updated the workflow, which is mostly good. [smile]
The original workflow would grab the page title if you accessed it from Safari. However, if you used it in another app (for example, Reeder, or Tweetbot) it would return "Action Extension" as the name. Annoying.

I've updated the workflow to resolve this, however because it has to grab page contents to resolve the issue, it uses more memory (which sometimes causes it to fail if it gets low, if this is the case just re-run it), or just plain won't work on a few pages. I don't know why.
If you want, keep the original for when you use Safari, and the updated one for use in other apps. 

As a side note, now that I have this workflow my use of TheBrain on iOS has increased a LOT. Since one of my main use cases on iOS is adding interesting links to things I'm reading, it's taken the majority of the pain out of adding thoughts. I highly recommend Workflow, not just for this, but you can use it for automation for other apps also. 

Enjoy!

Update: Added to TheBrain User Knowledgebase
macOS 10.12.3
TheBrain 9.0.157
PaddyVA
Just got WorkFlow, Zenrain; Thanks for this action program.  Patrick

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software