joshsullivan
Hi All,
I've been using TheBrain since August and am just now getting really into it. I have a couple of questions I wanted to throw out there to other users so I can get a sense of how others are setting up their brains and some attachments advice.

1. Where do you keep the notes pane? Right side or bottom?
  2. Do you prefer attachments in list view or tabs?
  3. If you store items in Dropbox and attach those files to thoughts do you use the local path or use the Dropbox link?

I'm not a huge fan of keeping the files in TheBrain, so I prefer to create external links to the files. My problem is that I use macOS, Windows, and iOS, so I think the best option will be a Dropbox link which will be accessible on all platforms. I could probably do without attachments on iOS, so if there is an easy way to store the documents in Dropbox and click on the attachment and open it on both macOS and Windows, I'm all ears.

If you have any other tips or suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks,
Josh
TheBrain 10.0.40.0
macOS 10.14.3
Windows 10 1803
yuryg
So I am going to try an answer some questions:

1 - It is pure preference, try both and see what you like better, the functionality does not change. 
2. Can not answer I use version 8 because of loss of some functionality in 9 and 10.

3. This one I can easily answer. Forget IOS, the links would simply not work as iPad does not download anything automatically.  For the PC here is my recommendation. Dropbox by defaults puts the location in the users directory and your links are different to both (meaning Mac has directory slashed different then windows) so the activation of that file will simply not work on both of the systems. The only way to do that is to have the links via the Web and dropbox requires you to have the Pro version to be able to lock down links so they are not seen by anyone in the world. The solution for this, is to simply drag the link in Windows and in Mac separately and name on Windows and one Mac. 

Now what I do on multiple Mac's is to create a dropbox folder in a directory structure that is the same on all mac's outside of users directory (you can still lock permissions down), that way the path is the same on all Mac's to Dropbox, Google Drive, etc. 
metta
(1) Depends upon the brain project. Since I use the notes quite heavily, I like them on the side, rather than below the plex. In addition:
-- For personal use, I prefer the left side (double-click the splitter bar to switch from right to left)
-- For public brain projects, I use the right side since that's how the brain displays by default in the web client.

(2) List view definitely -- You can't see the full attachment names or access the attachments from the note view if the attachments display as tabs.

(3) Just a matter of personal preference -- and it may depend upon whether your Dropbox files are public or private.

Another tip you may find useful:
> When Google docs are linked as attachments, they can be viewed and edited within TheBrain if you turn ON the embedded browser.
   -- See: Options > Preferences > Behavior > Embedded browser for web links

You might also be interested in these related discussions:
> How to Use TheBrain for Task/To-Do List Management
> My Megabrain Thought Types and Tags
> TheBrain and Web Archiving
joshsullivan
Thank you @yuryg and @metta.

1. I had no idea you could move it to the left side, I thought it was right and bottom only, thanks @metta!
2. So far I've used tabs, but have been having an issue with names displaying fully or enough at characters least, so I am going to try the list, it will take some getting used to it being on the bottom though.
3. I have Dropbox Professional, so I already place a password on shared links, except when sharing from the Public folder. I think I'll use the Dropbox link because having to add two attachments for one file will require me to remember to add it when I get to the other platform, which I know I'll forget to do. 

For anyone else who might be using Dropbox links, I found that Dropbox online gives you the option to open the file in Finder/Explorer so not too hard to open the local file.

@metta Thank you, I'll read those now.
TheBrain 10.0.40.0
macOS 10.14.3
Windows 10 1803
metta
(1) You're very welcome! :-)
(2) IMHO, viewing links below the notes will just be a matter of training the eye where to look. You're right, of course: it certainly may take some getting used to, but I think you'll soon grow to like the fact that you access and edit both the link names and the link URLs from the note/list view.
(3) Thank you for the tip on using Dropbox online to open local files! Wasn't aware we had that option. Very nice! :-)
ruudhein
Quote:
Where do you keep the notes pane? Right side or bottom?

General on the right side, about 15-20% of the screen width

Quote:
Do you prefer attachments in list view or tabs?

Tabs, simply because the first attachment becomes automatically visible when the thought is activated. 

Quote:
If you store items in Dropbox and attach those files to thoughts do you use the local path or use the Dropbox link?

I store a number of small files in TheBrain. These are usually not my Golden Copies.

For Dropbox I use a Dropbox link.

For local files outside the brain I use a local link to a virtual drive which is mapped to my main documents' folder. On Windows this can be achieved with the SUBST command. In my case everything is mapped to X:\. Wherever I move my main documents folder, I can map it, using SUBST, to the X:\ drive letter, so nothing really changes.
Using: Evernote | FilterizeDynalist | InstaPaper | Liner | TheBrain v10.0.40.0
metta
Ruud wrote: "Tabs, simply because the first attachment becomes automatically visible when the thought is activated."

My understanding is the first attachment will only become automatically visible (1) if the attachments display as tabs and (2) if the note is completely EMPTY.

In addition, if the attachment is a link, the embedded browser must also be turned ON.

Ruud, can you please confirm?
ruudhein
@Metta you're right; the note has to be empty. Otherwise the note will show first. For links the embedded browser should be on; something that I highly recommend.

As I start to have many more Thoughts with notes, I might experiment with the List view. These days for most of the Thoughts that have a URL attachment, I'll have the highlights/summary of the content pasted into the Note, so this might work very well.
metta
Thanks for confirming, Ruud. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. ;-)

Since I use the notes so heavily, I rarely have an attachment without some kind of notation, so the list view has worked very well for me.

The jury is still out for me on the embedded browser, though. I like having it turned on for a few specific things (like Google Docs which I use to replace the tables that are missing TB10), but in general I prefer turning it off and opening links in a full (separate) browser window, especially since there are still so many links that do not work in the embedded browser.

May I ask: what types of links are you accessing, Ruud, that have made the embedded browser so helpful for you?
tomcal123
Metta - One of my major uses for the embedded browser is Workflowy (which is also one of my thought types).  I have a thought for each major outline in Workflowy with an attachment directly to that outline.  For example, at the beginning of a project, I'll use Workflowy to outline my thoughts and that outline remains one of that project's children.  I also use Google Contacts with the embedded browser.  I have been running into fewer and fewer websites that don't work in The Brain.

May or may not be related to this thread but I also have just started using Workflowy to crystallize my thoughts on one piece of software vs. another.  Often, I'll try something different (light RightNote that you recommended).  I'll start a new thought named, "RightNote vs. Evernote" and type it as "This vs. That".  I'll then start a new Workflowy outline with my thoughts on comparing those 2 pieces of software.  I've now got about 20 of those "This vs. That" thoughts.  Then, when my memory starts to fade about why I stopped using a program (usually very quickly...), I look for any of those thought types that reference that software.  I often then have an  "Aha!" moment, like I find it easier to write a formula in Airtable vs. Notion.  Then, when Notion comes out with some shiny new feature, I'll refer to that thought and maybe not get sucked into that black hole of switching over to something new.

Of course, I can use the notes feature of The Brain, but for thinking, I find Workflowy easier to use.
metta
Very interesting, Tom! Thanks so much for taking time to share your feedback. Glad to know Workflowy has been so helpful as a thinking tool -- and that it has worked well for you inside TheBrain. I'm also pleased to know you're running into fewer websites that don't work in TheBrain. Very encouraging! :-)

As for using the embedded browser for Google Contacts, perhaps you might have some hints and tips to share in this discussion?

Re: This vs. That -- I do a lot of similar software comparisons and evaluations myself using the table function in TB8:
> Column #1: Benefits
> Column #2: Limitations

Special features and "deal killers" are highlighted for future reference and review. Installation, review and uninstall dates are also tracked in the notes -- and, as you pointed out, all this has helped immensely in refreshing my memory about previous software decisions. It has also been extremely helpful when I revisit software again later on. For example, years ago I decided NOT to use RightNote -- but with a more recent review, I discovered new features had been added, and it was quick and easy to make the decision to start using RightNote again. ;-)
ruudhein
Quote:
May I ask: what types of links are you accessing, Ruud, that have made the embedded browser so helpful for you?

Anything really. As I don't always use notes, often the URL attachment will automatically load when I click into a thought. That view is often enough for me to know what, where, etc. 

If I really need to work with a page, I'll open it in my browser, if not for anything else that as soon as I click away in TB, the page has to reload, naturally.
ruudhein
@Tom very interesting workflow there on documenting the pro/con. I did something similar in 1 or 2 cases, but then in TB. Your workflow is better, although I'm using Dynalist. 
tomcal123
ruudhein - My "Dynalist vs. Workflowy" This vs. That thought is constantly updated.  They are both very good at what they do.
ruudhein
They are, Tom. I was on WorkFlowy for a long time. The initial test of Dynalist was...weird. But the 2nd time I tried it, it stuck. The multiple documents + folders are helpful. But the fast pace of development, the accessibility of the developers, and their responsiveness, certainly helped me convinced me to make the move. And besides sharing at the bullet level, any concern I had where I felt WorkFlowy did it easier/better, has almost immediately been addressed. E.g.: I remember when I just tried it, a bullet could be clicked but would bring up a little menu, instead of going into that bullet. Mentioned it and a week later there was a setting to make that behavior optional.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software