ChrisCase
As far as I can see, whatever bug it is that causes some thoughts to fail to display in the exported Sitebrain has not been fixed.  There seems no obvious reason why some work and some don't. 

It's quite disappointing to pay 250 dollars for a program because of its sitebrain export capability and yet still not to be able to invite people to visit ones site with any confidence that they will be able to navigate in it without constantly coming up against this problem --- clicking on a thought and having the plex not only fail to move, but often to start flashing in strange ways.  Any number of people have reported this to me.

I have several times sent copies of my brain to TheBrain for checking,  but there is no indication that the source of this problem has been located.

My impression is that the problem is not in my file alone.  I have many times followed the advice to delete and recreate the sitebrain, both on my machine and on the server,  and sometimes the problem disappears, only to turn up again with different thoughts.

Among the thoughts currently not displaying correctlyt:
http://floatingworldweb.com/plex/#-4560
http://floatingworldweb.com/plex/#-6753
http://floatingworldweb.com/plex/#-7087

Harlan
Unfortunately, we've had a hard time figuring out the cause of this problem. I had hoped that the changes in the latest version of SiteBrain, which had many bug fixes in it, would have resolved this issue. Since that does not seem to be the case, we'll investigate this again.
Regards,
-Harlan
Harlan
Chris, I believe that the version of SiteBrain released a few weeks ago does indeed fix the problem you are experiencing.

I downloaded the XML for the problem thoughts you named and there is nothing wrong with the exported data. I tested the data with the latest version of SiteBrain, which has been included in PB since version 4.1.0.9 and it loads without any problems.

I checked on your site and the version of the SiteBrain code you are using is outdated. Specifically, the files inside the "theBrain" folder, animation.js, dragPlex.js, and theBrain.js are out of date. You must replace these files with the newer versions. Due to changes in SiteBrain, you will have to update the settings.js file also with a new version.

To be safe, I would suggest the following steps:

1. Re-exporting everything using PB 4.1.1.1 to your local computer.
2. Test the local copy prior to introducing your customizations.
3. Re-integrate your customizations and test again.
4. Upload the tested version to your server.
5. Clear your Web server's cache and your local browser cache.

Let me know if you have trouble with this. Thanks.
Regards,
-Harlan
ChrisCase

The date on my server for these files is 27/09/2007,  which doesn't look outdated to me.....but  when I make a new export to my own computer, they  come out with dates of 4/09/2007

and the problem persists of there always being some thoughts that won't move to the center.

ChrisCase
Now here's a curious thing.  I just made 2 identical sitebrain exports to my TEMP folder ( with different names).

In the first one I made the minor modifications to the settings.js and layout.css files that change the colours, background image, and a few other things.  In this version I find the problem of thoughts not reacting, whereas in the other copy, to which I made no modifications,  the problematic thoughts work OK.

WHy should these small changes have such an effect on navigation?  Below are the changed lines

SETTINGS.JS:

var textColor = "#ffffff";
var backColor = "#990000";
var linkColor = "#FFCC00";
var plexFontSize = 10;

var maxChildColumns = 10;

var showSearch = true;
var showSearchButton = false;
var leftAlignInstantSearch = true;
var instantSearchWidthMultiplier = 2.0;
var dynamicInstantSearch = true;

var startThought = "6797";

var pageTitle = "FWW"

and in LAYOUT.CSS:

height: 200px;

background-image: url(res/images/widefloating2.jpg);

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I  suspect the change in height to 200 from 300 does something weird, because one problem occurring at 200 disappeared when I changed the height to 250. Does this make sense?  And how about the number of columns and font size?  Does trying to get more into a space cause it to jam, so to speak?

Harlan
ChrisCase wrote:

The date on my server for these files is 27/09/2007,  which doesn't look outdated to me.....

Chris, unfortunately the date of the files is not reliable because that is the date the files were uploaded/downloaded, not the date of the original versions of the files. The reason I was able to tell those files were outdated is because I downloaded them all and compared their contents to the latest build.

Regards,
-Harlan
Harlan
ChrisCase wrote:

WHy should these small changes have such an effect on navigation? 
Does trying to get more into a space cause it to jam, so to speak?

Interesting, maybe this is why we have not been able to reproduce the problem. On the thoughts that are having trouble are they all thoughts with many relationships (lots of children/siblings/etcetera)? Do you notice anything else they have in common?

Can you try setting the maxChildColumns back to 6 and see if that eliminates the problem?

It could be simply that the browser can't handle so many objects on screen at once. (The links in particular are difficult for the browser to process... Another thing you could try is setting hideLinks to true.)

Regards,
-Harlan
ChrisCase
It does seem to work better if I keep those numbers down.  Tooearly to tell if that solves it all.

One things that really slows things down is the fact that every time I export a sitebrain, about half the files are given new dates, even if they haven't been changed.  An earlier version of PB didn't do this,  but it's gone back to changing the creation dates on everything,  which means it takes over 12 hours for me to synchronize the server.
ChrisCase
Quote:
On the thoughts that are having trouble are they all thoughts with many relationships (lots of children/siblings/etcetera)?

Yes, mostly this has been the case  ... but not always....

Quote:
Do you notice anything else they have in common?

Not yet..

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software