mcaton
SiteBrain users may be interested to know that the latest release of PersonalBrain 4.2 (currently in beta) contains a new Instant Search feature.

Enjoy,
Matt
Chris
The search function is a really useful addition for large brains. Here is my brain that uses the search function:

http://2009-international-year-of-astronomy.info

mwassens
But i can't search anything with the search functionality.
Can you explain how to use it and make it realy work?

Thnx
/\/\/\/
Harlan
Search in SiteBrains only searches based on the starting portion of a Thought's name. Full search like occurs within PersonalBrain itself is not available in SiteBrains at this time.
Regards,
-Harlan
ChrisCase
Chris wrote:
The search function is a really useful addition for large brains. Here is my brain that uses the search function:

http://2009-international-year-of-astronomy.info

In your sitebrain, you say " The search algorithm not only finds thoughts that start with the search string, but also thoughts that contain the string anywhere within the thought title."

Surely this is incorrect? Or have you found a way to make the Search function do this?

Ferrick
Hi all, new to this forum but have been using theBrain since it first appeared.  My main interest is the production of a site brain with a more integrated search.  The brain that I have is still be developed.  I'm actually in the process of copying data across to it. The development version is at http://www.themathmaker.com/brain/test. Not all thoughts are linked to custom pages, but there are some under Mathcast which pull in video etc..

The piece of software I wanted to show was Search Engine Builder, although not free and a little pricey, allows me to integrate a full search below the plex and with a bit of search and replace in the data file, actually create the link so that the plex follows the notes section.  e.g. If you type in "mathcast" without the quotes and then click on one of the found pages, you will see what I mean.

Something like JRank which is free can do something similar and maybe you can get it to alter the link with the Regex options.

Cheers!
Ferrick

ChrisCase
I'd be very interested to implement a Search function with Jrank,  and therefore created an account there,  but there are practically no instructions and no contact info,  so I cant imagine how I would get it to search the html files but return the xml file and set the plex correctly.  You mention the Regex option,  but I find no reference to that.  Any idea how I could get this working?
ChrisCase
One thing I wonder about.  PB indexes webpages that thoughts link to for search purposes.  Do either of the search engine programs you mention do anything similar, or do they only index data in the sitebrain files themselves?
Ferrick
Hi Chris,

I agree, the JRank offers little help, but once you create an account you need to create a Context and this is where you fill in your site information and you will then have the option of creating Regex rules.

As for indexing the thoughts, the site Brain I have does not have notes for any of the thoughts but is calling up a html page.  I created the brain and then I create pages using a html editor and call them 1.html, 2.html etc. using a template; according to the ID theBrain has assigned.

I then generate the site Brain and copy all these html files into the thoughtData folder to overwrite the default ones.  I leave the xml since they have the information to link to the other thoughts.  So when my site brain starts up, it automatically calls the page I want.

I could get JRank then to crawl the thoughtData directory, but I couldn't get the plex to follow because of the way the pages are called.  They have the form domain.com/index.html#-<ID>.  Perhaps you can do this with Regex, but I didn't try.  Search Engine Builder allows me to alter the prefix of the page and then I do a global search and replace the '.html' with nothing (or blank) in the data file it produces and then the plex follows the links in the search pages.

Ferrick

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software