mctrexler
We use thought icons very heavily in the Climate Web.  One of the problems we have in Webbrain is the time it takes to download the thought icon when someone hovers over it.  

Anyone have any experience with the question of the best way to generate a thought icon that is as small as possible, while still being able to pop up to almost full screen size and be legible (e.g. a website screenshot).  

We do most of our thought icons with TheBrain thought icon capture, but am wondering whether there are other ideas that might speed up the Webbrain thought icon downloading process?

Thanks,

Mark
metta
Mark, have you confirmed (with certainty) that the size of the icon affects the speed with which it enlarges in the webbrain?

This is actually a very important consideration for any of us who design webbrains that will heavily use (or depend upon) expanding thought icons....
mctrexler
No, although to the extent the thought icon is being downloaded (in Webbrain) before it expands, file size HAS to matter.  But does it REALLY matter, especially going forward?  Some relevant considerations:

1. My understanding is that V9 deals with thoughts icons in a very different way?  At least I'm told that's supposed to solve the fact that thought icons often don't sync correctly in TeamBrain (they make it to the Webbrain version, but the sync doesn't happen between team members).  Could his have implications for how the thought icons expand?  
2. With internet speeds getting better and better, will file size still make a material difference?  2.1 vs. 2.3 seconds may not really matter.  

That said, I still haven't figured out how to make sure that the thought icons are as compact as possible.  Not that I've sat down to really experiment.  I capture thought icons through the Brain directly (usually) or through SnagIt.  Going through an extra step to trim file sizes would just not be feasible for the dozens per day.  

What remains a bit of a mystery to me is why the same Powerpoint slide when used as a thought icon takes 2 seconds to load in Webbrain, yet when placed into the Notes field it doesn't have to load at all.  Not sure exactly what's going on behind the scenes, but is there some reason the slide couldn't be treated the same way in both cases?  

Mark
metta
Interesting questions and considerations, Mark.

I'm actually holding my breath hoping that:
-- the thought icon expansion will be faster in V9 webbrain,
-- thought icon syncing will be more reliable, and
-- images within notes will be more stable.

Will be looking forward to any additional information TheBrain staff shares about how thought icons and images are handled, once V9 is released.

(Fingers crossed)
pthompson
mctrexler wrote: Not sure exactly what's going on behind the scenes, but is there some reason the slide couldn't be treated the same way in both cases?

The image still has to load in the Notes (and does) but once it's loaded, it stays at the same size. An image as a Thought icon has to transition (zoom) between being small and expanded; This uses a completely different process.

The larger the resolution of the image being used, thew longer it will take to load. This is usually the case in any web environment.

We are, however, working to improve this in the next iteration of WebBrain.
Patrick Thompson
TheBrain Technologies
metta
Thanks, Patrick, for your prompt and helpful follow-up!

Looking forward to seeing the next iteration of the web brain.

Also, just wondering: will the release of the next (new) web brain version correspond with the official release of TheBrain V9? Or, are they both on separate time lines?
pthompson
metta wrote:
Also, just wondering: will the release of the next (new) web brain version correspond with the official release of TheBrain V9? Or, are they both on separate time lines?

Yes, it will.
Patrick Thompson
TheBrain Technologies
metta
Hooray! :-D

This is exciting news, Patrick. Thanks so much for the encouraging update! :-)

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software