SamCox
Smart Thoughts

A smart thought automatically gathers child thoughts (and maybe jump thoughts) based on criteria such as key words or phrases in a thought's name or label or notes, date of thought creation (e.g., thoughts added or updated today), specific tags or any tag, whether or not a thought has notes, etc. Any combination of these and other criteria could be used to gather the content of smart thoughts.

This idea is based on Lightroom's Smart Collection concept.

Maybe TheBrain version 9 already has this or a similar feature.
zenrain
+ a lot
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.250
shatcher
Hi Sam,

How would you like to see this implemented? Thinking about how it would actually work, it seems like a Smart Thought would really be skipping a step or two of clicking a Tag/Type, or viewing Thoughts in a Report, then selecting them all and attaching to a single Thought. Any ideas you have for how this would work from a user perspective will help me properly document this on our feature requests.

Cheers, Sean
SamCox
The idea of Smart Thoughts and therefore my own thoughts about how they'd work is derived from Lightroom's Smart Collections. If you have in your crew a photographer or two that use Lightroom, ask for a Smart Collections demo.

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom is an image organizing and editing program. Among its organizing tools are two kinds of collections which are basically just lists of images.

Simple (or "regular") collections are created and maintained by manually adding and removing images. A simple collection is kind of like a virtual folder and an image can be in multiple simple collections. This is similar to attaching child thoughts to one or several parents in TheBrain.

Smart collections are defined by a set of criteria (a.k.a., rules). Images with characteristics satisfying the rules are in the collection. Images cannot be manually added to smart collections.

A Lightroom smart collection is basically a saved search displayed as a group of images. A particular smart collection is created with the smart collection editor using predefined and fill-in-the-blank rule templates. As soon as a collection is defined, the matching images appear and when other images come to match the definition they immediately appear in the collection.

In TheBrain version 9, can a search be saved? If so, displaying saved searches as thoughts would come very near to what I have in mind. Also, it would be useful to be able to pin smart thoughts.
zenrain
I've wanted this for years. Basically it would be the ability to set up a special kind of thought with keyword filters AND/OR other reporting filters. Once this is done, activating the thought will cause any thought that meets the requirements of the query/filters to appear as a child. 

Basically it's a step up from tags or types, where you can define criteria and it will always display an updated list of thoughts meeting that criteria as children. A "live" query.

Use case:
  • Many in GTD, define a thought with a type of task, with a tag of home and it will show all tasks to perform at home.
  • Create a smart thought for thoughts with a type of "Book" and tag of "toRead" and has Upcoming in the notes. Activate this thought to see all the books I'm interested in that aren't released yet.
  • Create a smart thought for thoughts with a type of "Movie" , any ratings tag (I have five, going from 1 star to 4) and created in the past 1 year. Those are the movies I watched in the past year.

I could keep going for hours, but you probably get the drift from the above examples.
This would make TheBrain vastly more for professionals, power users, researchers, basically anyone who keeps their life in there. For performance I would understand if it's not actually live, but runs in the background when the smart thought is created, or within 5 minutes of thoughts being changed or updated.

So yeah, for me this is + a lot.
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.250
zenrain
This functionality would also replace the need to be able to create and save custom reports. [wink]
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.250
shatcher
Hi,

I've documented the Smart Thought feature request. From my point of view, a Smart Thought would skip the steps of:
-run a report for a Type/Tag/combo
-selecting all results
-highlighting the selection and attaching to a Thought

If I've missed something, or you feel there is something else to add, let me know and I will update the feature request.

Cheers, Sean
zenrain
It would also be "live". So that means it would update if new thoughts are created that meet the requirements/query.
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.250
metta
+1 for Smart Thoughts

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software