mctrexler
I realize I may be one of the only people using TheBrain to offer 3rd party access to a large knowledgebase, which means that without Webbrain I can't migrate from V.8. In reviewing the forums I can't find any recent discussion of Webbrain, so where is it?  Now that V.9 is being increasingly rolled out, where is Webbrain, and what capabilities will it have?  Spoke extensively with Mike C. about Webbrain priorities close to a year ago, with no information since then.  Folks, Webbrain is important to the future business model of TheBrain! 

Mark Trexler
Harlan
Hi Mark,

Don't worry, we are already hard at work on TheBrain web client. We don't refer to it as "webbrain" anymore so that may be some source of confusion.

The version 9 web client has been available for several months now at http://app.thebrain.com but we have not been promoting it because it is still fairly buggy and unfinished. If you use version 9 and sync your brain, when you login to http://app.thebrain.com you will see your brain there and can open it.

We are working on improvements to it everyday and it will be far better than the version 8 web client soon.

FYI, we just redid our website (www.thebrain.com) and the login from there now goes to the new V9 web client by default.

Regards,
-Harlan
Regards,
-Harlan
mctrexler
Thanks Harlan.  I can't start sending people to a "fairly buggy" interface, in particular given how hard it is to make a good first impression for the Climate Web with the web client (i.e. an impression that doesn't terrify people). We're closing in on 50,000 views, but that number is climbing rapidly right now as we do significantly more outreach regarding the Climate Web. 

It's also very hard to plan for the Climate Web having no idea what the web client will look like.  It's presumably going to require massive revisions to things like our User Guides, our Help Videos, and everything else, so it would be incredibly helpful to have some idea of what in the world the web client is going to look like, and what implications it has for how we're developing the Climate Web. We're closing in on the 100,000 thoughts threshold, and the 200,000 links threshold, so all this matters a lot.  

Thanks,

Mark
Harlan
Hi Mark,

First of all, we love that you are using TheBrain for Climate web. Thank-you! [smile]

If you want to know what the version 9 web client looks like, please go ahead and try it out. You can import your Brain into V9 and sync it to see how it looks in the new web client. It has been publicly available for a while now and will not change dramatically aside from bug fixes and the addition of missing features. We're more than happy to hear your feedback on the new version of course.

We are doing all the we can to get everything finished as quickly as possible. Until the web client is more complete, you should stick with the version 8 web client. If you import into V9 to test out the new web client it will not affect your V8 brain - just keep using V8 until you're ready to make a permanent switch and at that time delete the old version of your V9 Brain and reimport the latest V8 Brain.

If you'd like help with this whole process, please get in touch with Matt or Shelley and we'll arrange a time to talk about it.
Regards,
-Harlan
mctrexler
That makes sense Harlan.  Unfortunately as soon as I downloaded and tried to launch 9, I got the "unexpected error" message (multiple attempts).  I've sent in the error log. 

Mark
metta
Harlan, since work has begun in earnest on the TB9 web client, are TB staff open now to receiving web client feature requests?

Or should we wait to submit any requests until more developmental progress has been made?

Just want to make sure we don't miss our "window of opportunity" for providing our "wish list" requests to the engineers.

Thanks,
Metta
mcaton
Metta,

The window of opportunity is still open.  I would say, go ahead and make feature requests for http://app.thebrain.com now and we'll be sure to document them.  As Harlan mentioned above, we're not sounding the horn to jump into testing the web client just yet... but if there's a specific feature you're hoping to see, I'm happy to hear about it.

Thank you,
Matt
metta
Thanks so much, Matt! :-)

I'll review my notes and provide feedback on Sunday or early next week.

In the meantime, I very much appreciate your openness to considering specific suggestions and feature requests.
metta
Also, I'm just curious: what was the rationale for abandoning the "web brain" language?

(I thought "web brain" was more descriptive than "web client".)
Cerebrum
I think that "web brain" is more descriptive than "web client". [wink]
metta
Just speculating now.....

Perhaps the problem with using "web brain" for TB9 is that:
> The domain "webbrain" is already assigned to the TB8 -- and the online version of TB9 needed a different identifier.
> Going forward, it was simpler/better overall to stick with one domain (TheBrain.com) for all versions of the brain (desktop app, mobile apps, web app, etc.)

Will look forward to any additional clarification TB staff can provide.

Thanks.
Harlan
Thanks for the feedback on naming. We are simply unifying all branding under "TheBrain". Calling the web client "WebBrain" makes it seem like a different product. It's analogous to calling the macOS client "MacBrain" and the Windows client "WindowsBrain". This is also why we stopped using the name "PersonalBrain" several years back. Different delivery platforms, same service. Also, FYI, the name "WebBrain" has caused confusion in the past.
Regards,
-Harlan

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software