Jim
Under 4.0.4.1, both Kunbuntu (KDE) & Xubuntu (Xfce)

Can't mouse click into the notes box until I've pressed one of the buttons, eg the highlight or bullet buttons, after that it's fine until I either go to another thought or simply click the plex even with the same thought highlighted. If there is text already in the notes pane I can select it but can do nothing with the selection and there is not right click functionality at all until such time as I 'get into' the notes pane using one of the routes mentioned above.

Can't believe i've not come across this b4?

Hope I'm posting in the right place.

Jim Hitch
English Language Services Limited
http://www.englishlanguageservices.co.uk
tcahill
4.0.4.1 under JRE 1.6 on SuSe 10.2 and KDE 3.5.

I'm not able to replicate this problem.
Be vewy quiet. I'm hunting wabbit.
Jim
Mmm...

I've got jre 1.5 on Kubuntu and jre 1.42 on the Xubuntu partition... so perhaps it's not the jre.

When I click the notes pane the PB titlebar 'blinks' and I can see a tiny dialog in the top left corner to of the screen flash up momentarily...

Jim Hitch
tcahill
While I don't see the same problem as Jim, I notice that when I've had other X windows active and click back to PB, it is always the search field that is activated on the first click, even if I click into the Notes area. I'd like the Notes tab to become active by clicking within it if I've just entered PB.

I'm curious, Jim, what happens if you disable ESP?
Harlan
We've found and fixed the issue with the search field getting the focus.

Jim, what happens if you press F5? This key is supposed to set the keyboard focus into the notes pane. We've addded some code to the next version that we hope will address this issue, although we're not sure since we don't know the real cause and can't reproduce it.
Regards,
-Harlan
Jim
I didn't know about F5 and it works, it focuses the notes pane.

With ESP disabled it all gets a bit weirder: I get the error more often than not, but after a few clicks the cursor focuses correctly, usually at the end of the text in question... hang on, I've just re-enabled ESP and it's still sporadic, so I think it must have been all along.

The main thing that you can 'see' is that when I'm trying to focus on the notes pane is that the WHOLE PB window 'flinches' as if it has been quickly de-selected and then selected again. Of course, once I do manage to focus on the notes pane, it all acts as normal.

Also, when I'm trying to click in the notes pane and, for example, I click when the mouse pointer is over a section of bulleted text, then the bullets button selects and deselects quickly at the same time that the PB Window itself does.

Jim Hitch
Harlan

Hi Jim, please try 4.0.4.2 and let us know if this helps.

Regards,
-Harlan
Jim
Better but not fixed.

My search pane is still getting the focus when I move between 'nodes'.

As far as the original problem goes, the PB window is still 'flashing' but now in some instances it seems to be able to bring the cursor into the notes area as it should, but in others a single click produces a 'flash' and then there is a wait (up to four seconds sometimes) until the cursor appears. But then the next time you try on the same node it works fine, and then not...

Looks to me like it gets itself into some kind of grand loop where there's a lot of processing going on before the signal finally comes through to produce the cursor...

Jim Hitch
Harlan
Jim, the search text box getting the focus when you click on a thought is normal. This is so that whenever you click on the plex you can quickly search.

When you click on notes and the focus fails to transfer, can you tell where the focus goes to?
Regards,
-Harlan
Jim

Clicking the notes pane does work now, but not smoothly.

What happen when I click the pane is that the 'window bar' (sorry, don't know the name for it) flashes momentarily (as I mentioned before) and very quickly what looks like an empty menu flashes up from the left hand side of the 'window bar' (where I can left click for a linux menu) before the focus correctly runs to the notes pane.

Jim

Jim Hitch
Harlan

OK, thanks for the info Jim. We'll have to try and replicate this. Any chance you might be able to catch that flash in a screenshot?

Regards,
-Harlan
Jim
Oh dear.

Last night I upgraded from Kubuntu 6.10 (KDE 3.5.5) to Kubuntu 7.04 (KDE 3.5.6) in the hape that this issue might have solved itself... quite the opposite.

Now if I click on the Notes Pane PB4 closes.

My grasp of linux is tenuous, what command should I use to completely uninstall PB4 and then install it again?

EDIT: I've also just noticed that I've got JRE 1.42 AND 1.6 installed!? PB4 'about' refers to 1.42. Is it okay to have both? Seems to me like I should only have the one.

Jim

Jim Hitch
tcahill
On suse, I also have multiple versions of java installed. When logged in as super user (i.e., root) I can configure which java is the default. Root does not have a password under Kubuntu.

Commands to by keyed in are in bold, --notes-- for your information are in italic.

Open a terminal window and enter the following commands:

su --ubstitute user. This will let you run as root--.

update-alternatives --config java --This will present you with a text list of installed java binaries that the system is aware of and allow you to switch the default version.--

exit -- This will exit you from super user mode.

tcahill
Ubuntu variants treat the super user root differently than is the case with other distributions. Let me know if my suggestions do not function properly for you.

To delete PB from your system, just delete its installation directory (on my PC this was /opt/PersonalBrain)

You may also want to delete the .TheBrain folder hidden in your home directory. Don't worry about the symlink that the PB installer created in /usr/local/bin or whereever, it is just a pointer.

Re-install PB after you have changed your default java runtime (posted above). In a terminal window -- hey try this --

Ignore this if you already know about it.

###Funky KDE/Linux stuff
Open Konqueror. If you do not have the extras toolbar, turn it on. On the far left of the extras toolbar there is an icon (looks like a colon, a vertical line, then horizonal lines) to open/close the navigation panel (You can also open the navigation panel from the window menu). click it open.

Also on the extras toolbar, click the fourth icon (the one that looks like a window split vertically) Now your tabbed browser window is split in half.

On the navigation panel, click the second icon from the bottom. Now you have your directory tree. Navigate to your downloads directory and click on it. Now one half of your browser window is a view into downloads directory, while the other half are these instructions. (Try that in windows!) But wait, there's more.

Click on the Window menu in the menu bar, and select show Terminal Emulator. Now click in the file manager window and the terminal automatically CDs to that directory. But wait, there is still more...

While you are in file manager mode, on the right side of your Location tab, the search field has now got a funny funnel icon in it. In that field type "Per" and your list of files viewed int the file manager is filtered to just those files with "Per" in their names (Including, we hope, your PersonalBrain downloads).

###End of Funky KDE/Linux stuff

in the terminal window type the following commands:

su

sh ./Pers[Tab] -- The tab key attempts to autocomplete the command you are entering. If you have more than one version of PB downloaded, autocomplete will stop at the character where there is first a difference in the file name. If necessary Enter the missing unique character and press tab again. (Or just fill in the rest of the command manually). If you press Tab twice, autocomplete will give you a list of available commands that match what you've already typed. --

Enter -- as you are installing PB as root:

uncheck "Run PersonalBrain". -- You should not run applications as root, unless you know you need to do so.

Jim
So. I've been using PB4 under 1.42, and believe me when I say that now I am using it with 1.6 my view of the world has changed!

And more importantly, the Notes Pane issue has disappeared! All done.

I haven't even bothered to uninstall PB4, as it's working fine, for the moment.

Thanks for the other tips, but I only managed to get halfway through them because I have no Window menu in Konqueror, any ideas? PM me, as this is hardly PB4 relevant!

Thanks loads.

Jim

Jim Hitch

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software