slarkish_mrits
After removing my brain from the cloud brain (to have one of my brains be local only) I found that not all thought nodes show up in the upper right hand corner search box nor when creating a node and being presented a dropdown of possible options

Since I had a lot of thought nodes that can't be found this seems like a bug of sorts

note
* I'm on brain 10 and haven't noticed this problem with my other brains
* I attempted to do the "data integrity check" to see if that would fix anything but unfortunately it didn't seem to help
mcaton
slarkish,

Thanks for posting. This sounds like quite a curious case, being as some thought names are indexed and returned in the search results and others are not. Are you on a Windows machine? You can rebuild the search index by closing TheBrain and then opening it with the shift key held down. (FYI: Even though this only takes a few seconds, it is almost never necessary)

There may be some other options, but let's explore/test this first...

Thank you,
Matt
slarkish_mrits
I'm on macOS.  Does holding down shift do the same thing? I tried it and I will probably discover missing nodes again or I won't. I notice it only when I see a child, jump, or parent is right in front of me but if I try to create a new node it won't auto populate possible search completions (nor in the brain search) and it's an odd situation since I noticed that if I edit the thought node it will be reindex and if I change its name it seems to definitely hold that the thought will be indexable again

I don't know if it matters but I did go from v9 to v10 recently 

thanks for the help
slarkish_mrits
Just to note if shift and and tried double clicking thebrain in finder. I don't think it attempted to re-index since I found a node that I can see but it doesn't show up in the search nor on creation of nodes (as stated before- just being clear here)

this older post seems someone related, not sure

http://forums.thebrain.com/post/reindexed-downloaded-brain-does-not-show-thoughts-in-search-results-6724749
slarkish_mrits
A couple things to note about what I'm seeing. 

there is a node with the text "/lib/libm.so.6"

now if I search "libm" then it pops up in the search and its the only result as I expected but if I search for "/lib/" then, as I would expect, I see 6 or so results that start with "/lib/", now there are 50 or so results. If I add all of those to selected thoughts I will find lots of nodes with "/lib" somewhere in the node name or in the notes of the node (even attachments) but no /lib/libm.so.6

hope this helps with figuring this out

slarkish_mrits
Another note about the behavior, the go back and go forward buttons in the upper left of the GUI "can't go back" its just always greyed out- it seems. I maybe have seen it working but perhaps only in cases where the nodes weren't "missing"
mcaton
slarkish,

We spoke with one other user that recently encountered a similar situation on a macOS, but all was resolved with a reindex of Spotlight.  Can you try this and keep us posted.

For testing, it may be best to use something with basic alphabetical characters: abc rather than /&#...

Thank you,
Matt
joshsullivan
I think I was the person who had an indexing issue. I found that rebuilding the spotlight index worked to fix my problem, but one piece of advice: If it's just TheBrain searching having a problem, then I would only rebuild the index for the brains folder in your Home folder.

Rebuilding the Spotlight instructions can be found here:  https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201716

Instead of dragging the whole HD into privacy, drag the brains folder from your home folder into the Privacy tab, wait about 30 seconds then remove it, and the indexing should be pretty quick depending on how much data is in your brains folder.
TheBrain 10.0.40.0
macOS 10.14.3
Windows 10 1803
slarkish_mrits
Hmm, well I'm tracking file paths in thought nodes. If I come across one that's not a path I'll try to test with that. 
slarkish_mrits
hmmm, no luck after rebuilding the index

I think I was the person who had an indexing issue. I found that rebuilding the spotlight index worked to fix my problem, but one piece of advice: If it's just TheBrain searching having a problem, then I would only rebuild the index for the brains folder in your Home folder.

Rebuilding the Spotlight instructions can be found here:  https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201716

Instead of dragging the whole HD into privacy, drag the brains folder from your home folder into the Privacy tab, wait about 30 seconds then remove it, and the indexing should be pretty quick depending on how much data is in your brains folder.
slarkish_mrits
ok, got it doing the dumb easy thing. Zipped the brain folder up (just in case), told thebrain to delete the brain, using a backup brain archive I just made I imported it skirting the GUID conflict stuff and all the links are their. 
mcaton
Slarkish,

So you re-imported a .brz after deleting the local copy of this Brain and the notes are all properly indexed and showing up in search results?

Thank you,
Matt
slarkish_mrits
Yep that seems to be the case at least to work around whatever happened.

My gut feeling is something happened between brain 9 and 10 at least just for me ; ) I haven't had any indexing issues in any other brain I was using.

Thanks for the help
mcaton
Thank you for confirming.  Glad to hear that all is well again in your search results.

Matt

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software