asexymind
So, I have broken down, and am using my "video editing only!" machine for my brain now (naughty naughty me...) - i7-920 overclocked 12gig RAM (1600 mhz) on 4x19" screens...

I spread the brain across the 4 screens... (jealous yet?! hee hee hee) and open a few hundred thoughts. It starts to get sluggish in its responses after 250 or so thoughts and gets worse progressively, leading me to generally keep my saved views under 300 thoughts for workability. Is it the lack of power in my system or is this a function of the way the brain processes information?

Can I assign RAM to TheBrain to expand this capacity? Ideas?

--
Mark Michael Lewis | The Profitability Coach
http://GameOfThriving.com | Mark@TheThriveCoach.com
Steeph
Have you tried Harlan's suggestion?
PB user since 1998

Mind over matter?
I don't mind and it doesn't matter.
TB 8.0.2.1 Pro on Win10.1 Pro 64bit JVM 1.8.0-112
dyslucksia
Quote: I spread the brain across the 4 screens

Amazing! Did you mean just the one plex across 4 screens, or 4 different instances of PB, each running in its own screen?

I wouldn't mind seeing a pic of your system with all four screens in action, if you can find the time to take one.

I think you mean Expanded View. I'm posting this so we can find this thread later by searching on Expanded.

PB 5.5.2.1 on Windows XP, J-1.6.0_17
Julian2008
> I spread the brain across the 4 screens

I too would love to see an image/"screenshot" (;-) of a 4-screen brain since I still couldn't figure out how to run PB on my two screens system (it runs only in one of the two monitors).

Julian
asexymind
screen shot- brain not on screen, but you get the picture.  I just stretch it across the screens and spread my thoughts out so I can make connections.
I am in the middle of moving to a 2x2 setup, rather than a 1x4 setup, and my laptop isn't in the mix with the brain - that is a network program called maxivista that is in beta now. more pics later when 2x2 complete.

Click image for larger version - Name: monitor_setup.jpg, Views: 135, Size: 73.98 KB
--
asexymind
I tried various attempts to raise the virtual memory using this idea from Harlan
--
Try increasing the maximum memory PB can use:
1. Close PB4
2. Create a text file and put the following content into it:
-Xmx256m
Make sure there is a linefeed (Enter) at the of the text. Save this file and name it PersonalBrain.vmoptions in the PB program folder.
3. Restart PB4 and try again.
--
I used 256, 512, 1024, and 2048mb
If there was any difference between them and nothing, I could not tell
Personal Brain takes up the same 300mb of RAM in my task manager at all settings.

--
asexymind
Julian,
If you have two monitors set up, it should be as easy as pie. the key is to make sure the brain window is not maximized. make sure you can drag the corners of the window - then just stretch the window across the screens.

BTW - two screens is typically all I really use. I put the plex in two screens and the notes/reports on 1/3 of the third screen, so I can have other programs open as well.

--
dyslucksia
Very impressive pic, thanks. I'd still like to see one of the Plex spread out over 1 x 4 or 2 x 2 screens, and learn if this makes thoughts flying offscreen in Expanded View any easier to manage.
asexymind
ok, another pic - ignore the mess.

I was wrong about anchored thoughts flying off screen. I am not having that problem in this version.

Click image for larger version - Name: ntoes_007.jpg, Views: 115, Size: 372.32 KB
--
Julian2008
Quote: If you have two monitors set up, it should be as easy as pie. the key is to make sure the brain window is not maximized. make sure you can drag the corners of the window - then just stretch the window across the screens.

Thanks a lot for that hint, but unfortunately it did not work. I know this method and  I'm already using some other programs this way - (making sure the window is not maximized in order to drag a program or parts of it into the second screen). But in PB I can't figure out how to drag e.g. the note tab (I would love to see in the other screen) out of the PB "main frame" window itself. BTW, in the menu (under "window")  I can see the option "movable" (at least in German), so I think all "conditions are created".
I even tried dragging the tag via Ctrl-+Mouse etc. No way, José.
Am I missing something else?

Julian
mcaton
Quote: But in PB I can't figure out how to drag e.g. the note tab (I would love to see in the other screen) out of the PB "main frame" window itself.

Julian, You'll need to click on OPTIONS and select ADVANCED TOOL LAYOUT.  This will allow you to move any of the tool tabs outside the main PB window.

Thanks,
Matt
dyslucksia
Thanks for the second pic, Mark. Looks to me as if you have spread the Plex across screens 2-3-4. Is that correct? Expanded view? Also is the Plex on your notebook screen the same as on the ones behind it, or are you running a different Brain on it?

One more question. Do you find it easy to work with such a large display, without getting too lost in it? If so, what tips can you offer us who might like to emulate this?

Darkstar
I've found that 5.5.0.6 is a LOT faster when using a few hundred thoughts. However, I am only running it on 1 monitor, so those few hundred thoughts are not all actively displayed at once. Do you see a better performance if you only use 1 or 2 screens for your plex?

I see links on your "in use" example picture going offscreen. So I am presuming you have a few hundred more thoughts offscreen. Do you see a performance problem when you JUST display that node and its immediate associated thoughts? (If you start from a clean "expanded view", and it only shows the thoughts on that plex, does PB run quicker?)
-Darkstar

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software