spytech128
Am I missing something somewhere? I don't see where we can have a web page link and have the "Spider Web Page" option, like in PB3.02. Is that possible with PB4?
Spytech128
spytech128
Also, it would really be nice if we could "Spider Web Page" a website and download it to the PBrain for offline browsing; like PB4 could have its own HTML tab for offline browsing. Maybe having a IE or FireFox plug-in as a PB4 tab or something.
Spytech128
Axla
Yeah, I quite liked the 'Webbing'/'Spidering' of websites.

I'll admit I didn't use it much, but it was an interesting feature which made browsing somewhat easier.
Harlan

The Web spidering feature is not part of PersonalBrain 4 at this time since we chose to prioritize other features over this. How many of you really used the Web spider feature? If you did, can you describe what you used it for?

Regards,
-Harlan
Axla
Didn't use it much. As I said, it was interesting, I tried it, then forgot about it.

Keep it if you can, but don't spend much resources on it.
tcahill
Harlan wrote: The Web spidering feature is not part of PersonalBrain 4 at this time since we chose to prioritize other features over this. How many of you really used the Web spider feature? If you did, can you describe what you used it for?

I used this occassionally as a substitute for teleport pro, when I didn't really want a local cache of a web site, but wanted a local site map. I used this for complicated vendor sites that had a lot of useful support info that I cross linked into my support and compatibility plex. I never did develop a habit for this technique, and I think it was because the proceedure could be very time consuming.
Be vewy quiet. I'm hunting wabbit.
spytech128
What I find myself doing (being the information junkie that I am) is pulling in a website (using the spider feature) and taking the time to go through it and saving the relevant information that I want from the site and re-linking the chosen pages to other related parts of my Brain. I would find it more useful if I was able to download the sites so I can have them available offline and for those times when the pages I have linked to have been deleted from the website then, I wouldn't lose the information or the key things that made me want that webpage in the first place. As websites change older information gets deleted and for me, sometimes, that older information is what I really needed because I can't find it so easily or in the same context as it was, after a period of time. So, the ability to download pages instantly would be a real plus for me and PB.
Now, if I really want to save a webpage, I have to go through a long drawn-out process of saving the webpage as an HTM file or PDF and then linking it to my Brain then Moving it to my Brain to have it permanently connected; that takes too much time to do especially, when you are trying to save many webpages.
To me, the webspidering feature was important, many times. It may have taken some time to get it all mapped but when it was done, it was really done. The only problem I had was that it was not embedded as My Brain, it was just mapped LINKS. I would like them to be an offline version of the Brain-mapped website, instead.

Spytech128
mbaas
Newby here - just downloaded V4 today, triggered by Eric Mack's podcast

I would also really love the ability to save webpages for offline-viewing. I'm travelling a lot and being able to easily access all that info within the Brain would be an obvious advantage.

Harlan
Hello, thanks for joining us. Downloading of pages for offline viewing is on the feature request list.
Regards,
-Harlan
mbaas
Cool - a forum where you actually get answers! 
I know it's a difficult question, but when approx. will it materialize? Is it more on the top or the bottom of the list?

Thanks!

Harlan
We haven't committed to delivering this as of yet, so for now, it's closer to the bottom of the list since we have many other things that we are already planning to do...
Regards,
-Harlan
ChrisCase
Harlan wrote:

The Web spidering feature is not part of PersonalBrain 4 at this time since we chose to prioritize other features over this. How many of you really used the Web spider feature? If you did, can you describe what you used it for?

Since one of my main uses for PB4 is creating a portal website, the spider function is extremely useful for collecting the links. However, since PB3 does this quite well, I simply start with that, and when I've edited it to my satisfaction, import the PB3 brain into PB4.   So although it's a useful function, it's not going to bother me much if it's low on the list of priorities.
yourBuddyBill
Harlan wrote:

I used it to build links for documents stored in Sharepoint, across sub-sites and project portals.  The Sharepoint search capabilities depress me, but I found that using PB3 I could quickly compile the folder and document structure...then go back and add typing and relationship links. 

I also used it a bit on some reference websites' external "links" or "resources" type pages to quickly gather more jumping off points.  Do it a few times and build up rich lists.  Afterwards, you can tell where you found the gems, and which popular URLs were worthless.

If spidering was added back (or maybe some other import feature could accomplish this) I would like to see if PB could help me build article maps from MediaWiki sites, either the live site, or export files.  Managing orphans, dead ends, disambiguation, redirects, etc from special: lists is inefficient, doing it visually in PB would be superior.  Having namespaces as types and categories as links would be a bonus.

zenrain
Agreed. I hope this feature is still being considered to be re-implemented in a future release.
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
tcarternyc
Hi all,

I have been a PB user since it's inception. I need the spidering feature to track many useful sets of data. Much of this information includes things like RSS feeds which I need to be able to view when I am in my car, conducting business or otherwise offline. This feature provides a distinctive competitive advantage when I am considering a searchable organizer product. I will be the first one downloading the new product with this feature - RSS feeds and web spidering are really very useful. Please advise when these features are set to return.

Regards,
Tom Carter
Have a little fun each day.

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software