rustyedges
noticed all the improvements for MacOS in .244 and also that we are now at a release candidate version, but still daily to multiple daily crashes on Windows 10.  Any roadmap on this?
dlorde
I don't get many crashes on Windows 10, but I do get a lot of display and redrawing issues on both laptop and desktop PCs - everything from 'phantom' window flashes to occasional very slow frame refresh (several seconds to redraw frame, captions, title bar, etc.) and plex display anomalies - stuck notes, link gate colour incorrectly indicating single rather than multiple links, certain links not displaying at all (until the brain is closed and reopened), and so-on.

One begins to appreciate how stable and reliable v8 had become...
ruudhein
Not to disagree with either experiences but for the benefit of searchers perusing the forums: I run TheBran v9 on Windows 10 every day, all day long, and besides 1 issue that support is troubleshooting, it is 98% stable for me. Maybe even 99% 😉
Using: Evernote | FilterizeDynalist | InstaPaper | Liner | TheBrain v10.0.23.0
metta
Running TB9 (and TB8) on Window 7.

Love TB, but TB9 is not nearly as stable and bug-free as TB8 -- which is why I'm only using TB9 at this point on a test basis.

The challenge is that I'm still getting (and frequently reporting to support) strange glitches, error messages, freezes and crashes with relatively routine activities. (In fact, I can't remember the last time I was able to work in TB9 for several hours without some kind of unexpected speed bump.)

Hanging in there, though, with hope for the future since we're still in beta with TB9.
pshanks
Running TB9 Windows 10 (Version 1709, Build 16299.214) and we are not getting any crashes and it's stable 99% of the time for us.

TheBrain (Beta 10.0.25.0) 9.1.16.0, iOS V9.1.2, TheBrain 8.0.2.2
Windows 10 (V1803), Windows 7 SP1, OS X V10.13.5
Using The Brain since V3 (1999)

zenrain
pshanks wrote:
Running TB9 Windows 10 (Version 1709, Build 16299.214) and we are not getting any crashes and it's stable 99% of the time for us.

Same on macOS 10.13 for me. The only time I usually get issues now is when I preview a large pdf file and go through the pages or search. Some time after that it gets low on memory and the screen background doesn't show. At that point I restart and carry on. 😉
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.250
rustyedges
I didn't mean to disparage TB9, in fact the opposite as I also run it all-day, every day both for work and personal hobbies.  Which is why the frequent crashes from rather routine things (switching tabs, opening attachments, clicking into notes editor, etc) is problematic.  I guess the main thing is what was brought up in this related thread -  http://forums.thebrain.com/post/unexpected-errors-9643820?pid=1303145926 - that the debugging info is being sent and received every time I restart.

another cross link for future reference -  http://forums.thebrain.com/post/crashing-and-choices-9639051?pid=1303082178

And posting here was a way to figure out if is just something unique to my brain(s) or what.
rustyedges
Have you reported these elsewhere?  The stuck notes has been well covered, but I also get some plex display stuff I can't reliably reproduce, such as missing the notes icon, until I navigate to the thought (that I know has notes), then it displays, but when navigating away the icon disappears again.

My best theory on several issues is that somehow related to bad imports of my existing TB8 brains, as I can't reproduce a lot of things I run into on clean test brains created with TB9

dlorde wrote:
I don't get many crashes on Windows 10, but I do get a lot of display and redrawing issues on both laptop and desktop PCs - everything from 'phantom' window flashes to occasional very slow frame refresh (several seconds to redraw frame, captions, title bar, etc.) and plex display anomalies - stuck notes, link gate colour incorrectly indicating single rather than multiple links, certain links not displaying at all (until the brain is closed and reopened), and so-on.

One begins to appreciate how stable and reliable v8 had become...
ruudhein
Quote:
I didn't mean to disparage TB9

No, I know, and I think others understood that too. We're just sharing experiences here to get a feeling for what's common and what's not.
mcaton
Rusty,

I hope you (and anyone else) are sending in the automatic log file or manually sending into support@thebrain.com when you experience the crashes.  I'm also running on Windows 10 with very old/very large Brains and not having these issues, so we certainly want to see what's happening on your end.

Thank you,
Matt
rustyedges
yes, I always try and add a comment about what I was doing to the automatic log / crash dialog.
Harlan
FYI, adding comments is very helpful for us. Thank-you.

The automated logging of errors allows the development team to see patterns and focus on the more common issues. 9.0.244 and 9.0.245 both include fixes that would not have been possible without your sharing of these automated logs.
Regards,
-Harlan
rustyedges
since upgrading to 0.245 I haven't had a crash...promising!
ruudhein
VERY stable. My bug where leaving TB open for a long time, then doing a brain backup & having it lock, seems gone
dlorde
rustyedges wrote:
Have you reported these elsewhere?  The stuck notes has been well covered, but I also get some plex display stuff I can't reliably reproduce, such as missing the notes icon, until I navigate to the thought (that I know has notes), then it displays, but when navigating away the icon disappears again.

My best theory on several issues is that somehow related to bad imports of my existing TB8 brains, as I can't reproduce a lot of things I run into on clean test brains created with TB9

I haven't reported all the little oddities because I'm generally in the middle of doing stuff I don't want to be distracted from. One of the things I'm busy with is trying to reconstruct a new, clean brain from a TB8 import that is heavily corrupted in places (thoughts sharing links & notes, wrong links, notes in wrong thought, missing links, etc). That's why I'm doing a lot of copying and pasting of thoughts - and it's painfully slow (e.g. 25 seconds to paste 6 thoughts in 64bit Windows 10 using a decent spec desktop PC (Intel i7 4Ghz, 24GB RAM, with an SSD).

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software