FransJehoul Show full post »
zenrain
I finally past the 1,000 mark!
Only 80,000 more to rival Jerry's brain.

Although, to be fair I use the multiple attachments per thought feature extensively, instead of one attachment per thought.
At least that's what I keep telling myself.
Click image for larger version - Name: statistics.png, Views: 503, Size: 7.73 KB
Windows 7
J-1.6.0_22
--
OSX 10.6.3
Java SE 6
FransJehoul
Good afternoon,

Here is my stat.
As before mentioned,  a high "link per thought" which results in a dense network between my neurons, in other words i find what i search for in a few clicks from where i start.

I also use multiple attachment but not i all cases.
When the thought is very important for me/my work/my hobby/...., i have one attachment per thought. In some cases i like to go beyond "one to one" and want multiple thoughts for one attachment, let me explain: when ik have a  pdf  whith a few different topics (like from magazines) it is somtimes important i could link/attach  part-of-file to a thought.

Regards,

Frans
Click image for larger version - Name: PB_Stats_200804.png, Views: 484, Size: 13.34 KB
steve625
Time to dust off this thread and update my stats

Click image for larger version - Name: BrainStats.jpg, Views: 448, Size: 76.39 KB
pderwael

Hi Brainers...

I saw some impressive figures over here, and as I have some worries about performance issues, I would appreciate your thoughts and experience in this domain

To start: here are my current stats:
Thoughts:1212
Links:2587
Links per thought:2,12
Notes:1133
Internal attachments:12
External attachments:0
URL:0
Thought types:6
Link types:0
Activations:77

Here is the context: I'm currently building a Brain about IT govervance for one of my clients.
The idea is to integrate 3 well known frameworks (ISO17799, CobiT and the Standards of Good Practice), to document the cross refs between the frameworks and to add the corresponding policies and procedures as attachments.
This brain is due to be published on an intranet and to be used by the end-users and the auditors.
The IS security staff will use PB to update the brain and to publish it regularly (policy/procedure updates...)

Status: in a first phase (before adding the xrefs), I expect to have about 1600 thoughts and 3500 links for a total size of approx 40Mb.
After having added the xrefs between the frameworks and specific attachments (policies and procedures), I believe it will reach 2000 thoughts and 5000-5500 links.
This brain has currently 1200 thoughts and 2600 links and I start having performance issues (essentially reaction time when pasting a note). I know, performance is very subjective, but I feel I should not have to wait 2-3 seconds after clicking on a thought before being able to paste some text in the note field.
Also, the other day, I selected the expanded view and had the -very- bad idea to click on "expand all". The expansion of the thoughts on the plex was extremely slow and used up to 50% CPU. After 15 minutes, I had to kill PB to regain control of my PC.

I have already looked at the various posts about PB performance and did not find much apart the classical "fast disk, fast processor and lots of RAM".
Apart from this, is there any way to maximise the performance of the tool ?
Do I have to worry about the intranet part ? (W2K3, dedicated blade, 8Gb RAM, 4core 2.5GHz, Eth 100Mb, HD on SAN with fiber channel)

As I'm massively investing time and effort in building this tool, I would like to ensure that it will be usable at the end of the exercice (especially as I want to be able to send my to my client!!)
Any clue would be MUCH appreciated !!!

PB 5.5.2.4 on WinXP SP2
Webbrain: http://www.webandco.be/it-governance/
mbaas
Strange that you are reporting performance-issues with such a small brain (only referring to your data-file ). My datafile currently has around 12.000 thoughts and performance is not an issue at all. (What version and OS are u using? I am running PB on a 1.8Ghz laptop with 2GB RAM, Win XP.)

Also, when you think about publishing it, I don't think the server plays such a huge part in there, because most processing is done on the client. And certainly the server-specs should be more than appropriate

Harlan
pderwael,

Thoughts notes are not intended to be used for large amounts of information in a single Thought. Putting large amounts of data into notes cause a pause as those notes are loaded, regardless of how many Thoughts you have.

In term of maximum Brain size, you really have nothing to worry about. We test regularly with Brains of around 100,000 Thoughts without any issues. The only time you might start to notice a problem is if you try and put more than 250 or so Thought on screen at once in the expanded view.

Also, it is worth noting that version 4.5 (in beta) is significantly faster than 4.1 and also has many improvements related to scalability for large Brains.

In terms of publishing, the SiteBrain export essentially pre-calculates most of the things you will need during the export process, so server speed is really not an issue. The only thing you may notice with a very large SiteBrain is that instant search (available when published via 4.5) takes longer to respond the first time you use it for any given letter. Also, if you have many thoughts linked in one place (such as 500 thoughts all as children of one thought) then animation performance will suffer when they are all onscreen at once. If you don't have those sorts of large clusters (which you really should try and avoid anyway), you won't notice any difference at all except for the instant search.

Have fun.
Regards,
-Harlan
pderwael

Hi there,

Problem solved : I have had PB reinstalled on a freshly installed PC, and everything seems to be ok now.
I really *LOVE* the kind of OS that you need to reinstall regularly if you want to get the best out of your machine...but I guess this is another discussion !

Harlan, the notes I add to my thoughts are small ones: usually 3-4 lines (max 10). Putting this info in an attachment is not an option as I want the text to be visible as soon as you select tht thoughts

Thanks anyhow for your answers !

Cheers

PB 5.5.2.4 on WinXP SP2
Webbrain: http://www.webandco.be/it-governance/
FransJehoul
Good afternoon,

Just an update op my Stats.

regards,

Frans
Click image for larger version - Name: My_Brain.PNG, Views: 369, Size: 10.15 KB
Harlan
Been just over a year since my last post on stats... Looks like I have added about 1,100 thoughts and done about 14,000 activations since then. That's about 3 new thoughts a day and about 40 activations per day.
Click image for larger version - Name: brain_stats.JPG, Views: 344, Size: 25.22 KB
Regards,
-Harlan
marcus
Here's mine after 10 months. I've definitely slowed down after the initial flurry of thoughts (1000 in 2 weeks) but that's not really a representation of how valuable I find the software or of how much I use it.
Click image for larger version - Name: Brain_Statistics.jpg, Views: 349, Size: 23.22 KB
FransJehoul
Good afternoon,

An update of my brain.

Regards,

Frans
Click image for larger version - Name: My_brain_-_16_oct_2008.PNG, Views: 286, Size: 9.86 KB
BSTD
Very good idea to review stats!
I posted 15 months ago. These are the changes since:
Thoughts: +1373
Links: +2567
Activations: +9728
Interestingly, the only item I have less of now is notes.

- Ben

Click image for larger version - Name: Statistics.jpg, Views: 278, Size: 35.53 KB
iceheartx
I tend to seperate my brains because I've found big brains don't much like to do mass imports...

(and you know what's pretty cool? dumping a shortcut to a brain file inside a thought in another brain file, makes it easier to keep connected (but is a manual process))

but here's a couple examples,
my novel writing template that I posted to the "brain uses" forum,

my "new genesis" brain - every piece of software I need to start any kind of machine (server/desktop/gamer rig) indexed and catalogued with all the instructions I need to build from scratch/base os.

I want to get stats out of my comic collection brain that I imported last night. it's a mainly file management and meta-data collection tool, I did a 200+ directory import last night and now I'm curious how the stats for that worked out.

Click image for larger version - Name: novel-template-stats.png, Views: 242, Size: 196.78 KB Click image for larger version - Name: new-genesis.png, Views: 242, Size: 19.62 KB
----------------------
since I started relying on the brain, I am almost incomprehensible without it.
FransJehoul
Good morning,

An update of my statistics!

Regards,

Frans
Click image for larger version - Name: Thought_Statistics.PNG, Views: 204, Size: 9.89 KB
marcus
6 months later, 1496 additional thoughts. Aprox 8 per day.
Click image for larger version - Name: Brain_Statistics.jpg, Views: 433, Size: 105.08 KB

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software