FransJehoul Show full post »
d_or2000
Growing every day...

[image]
enkidu
Wow.

My largest brain is way less than 2000 thoughts.
I've been fascinated from my Brain day 1 the way many people use TheBrain as a data container.
My use is almost exclusively as a method to link data. I have no use - indeed, find it counter-productive in the medium/long term, to import files into a brain, as it introduces versioning headaches which defeat the "lightness" of the application.

The two single factors that make TheBrain unique to me are :

- the non-hyerarchical, any-data-type-to-any-data-type linking
- the LIVE force-directed layout

The two single factors that make TheBrain problematic to me are :

- the non-hyerarchical linking is hyerarchical in the plex (parents / thoughts / jumps-to-the-left)
 My ideal would be a network diagram, with links going in/out of thoughts indifferently
- the fact that it does not create views of paths between 2 given thoughts

but hey, it remains an extremely versatile application !
cheers
enkidu

enkidu
As a side-note, my most important statistic is the links-per-thought.
A ratio near 1 means an almost hyeararchical brain. For me it's the number of links that make a brain interesting, like a neural network

Does anyone else pay attention to this type of usage ?
I'd be interested.

cheers
enkidu
mctrexler
Absolutely.  I see every uptick in the Links per Thought as a sign of progress.  I actually got up to 1.62 (my record I think), and then fell back to 1.56.  Each .01 is 600 Links so it's a relatively slow moving indicator.  

It's also an indicator that points out a key distinction between the laptop software and Webbrain.  Since I'm designing a Brain for use through Webbrain, I have to be very careful to not overwhelm users with information on the screen, the Links per Thought almost becomes a negative indicator.  

Ultimately Enkidu is right. I would love to get to a ratio of 3. But then you need to be able to really control what you see more effectively, since if you have to see all of those thoughts all the time you're getting into spaghetti territory. And neither the desktop nor the Webbrain software allows us to solve this problem at this point. You would need to be able to easily work with one-way thoughts, link types and colors, and on a mass basis just as we can with thoughts.

Hopefully someday!

Mark  
mctrexler
Statistics.png 
enkidu
I've just gone through this thread and realised that most of the statistics posted have a links-per-thought ratio near 1.
I am quite amazed. Here is a Brain of mine with a ratio of 2.99 :

https://webbrain.com/brainpage/brain/61395C59-7FAD-5AB0-C5E4-150739D60F55

[art_collection_stats] 

of course, in terms of thoughts, it's puny. But just wait 'til I win the next lottery ... ;-)

cheers
enkidu

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter        Visit TheBrain Blog   Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Twitter       Like Us on Facebook   Facebook         Circle Us on Google+  Google         Watch Us on Youtube  YouTube       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software