metta
Harlan recently announced the alpha update 234 includes a fix for the "stuck notes" issue:
> (#4325) Notes sometimes do not update when navigating to another Thought

Unfortunately, even with the 234 update, I am still having problems with notes not updating on my Win7 notebook installation. (Will check my Desktop PC installation later today.)

In the meantime, the output log from my notebook is attached.
metta

Just now tested the stuck note issue on my Win7 desktop installation of TB9 (234), and the problem is still occurring here, too. However, the issue is compounded now by how slow TB is running.

To illustrate these issues (slow performance and stuck notes), I've created a video recording of TB loading, followed by my attempts to navigate and edit notes in TB. Please note that TB performance in this video is actually faster than it often is on this computer:

> https://screencast-o-matic.com/u/iwZZ/TB9-234-SlowSpeed-StuckNotes

Output log and a screenshot from my task manager are again attached.

TBv234_SubProcessesRunning.jpg  

Hope this additional information is helpful.

FYI, both of the following preferences are turned OFF in this brain 9 installation:
> Display on Hover
> Previews

zenrain
Yeah, that’s all but unusable. Have you tried closing all other programs and background processes to rule out conflicts? Also if you are running an anti-virus software, try disabling and running TheBrain for a short period of time just to see if it makes a difference. If it’s being particularly aggressive on monitoring disk activity it could cause something like this. Basically rule out that another program is interfering. 

I think they already asked you to make sure you have enough free HD Disk space. That could also cause slowness. I’m assuming the database is stored on an internal HD and not one attached to a USB port. Those are the obvious things to check for off the top of my head.
Are you seeing slow behavior from any other programs or anything else that could indicate a problem with either the HD or memory? F.ex programs increasingly becoming unstable and crashing?
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.230
zenrain
I would also say the stuck note in your video is not the same as the one that was resolved in the release notes.
It seems to me to be a case of extremely slow processing from the program, and is probably causing all kinds of issues, that are really just symptoms of this larger issue. Basically until this is resolved it would be difficult to tell what is a bug and what is related to the slowness. 
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.230
zenrain
If none of the above reveal anything I would email support and work wit them directly to determine the cause. 
macOS 10.13
TheBrain 9.0.230
mcaton
Metta,

Thank you for posting and sorry to hear/see that the fix is not improving the application for you.  I'll make sure that engineering gets your Output.log file into the queue as soon as possible.

Thank you,
Matt
mcaton
Metta,

I'm also wondering about some of the things Zen has mentioned.  Anything else running slow?  I'm not sure that this is the same notes issue that was recently repaired - seems like a result of the general slowness of the app.

Thanks,
Matt
Harlan
Hi Metta,

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I watched the video and it is apparent that there is something very wrong with your system even before you launch TheBrain.

The performance monitor widget onscreen is completely static as far as I can tell. It shows CPU at "00%" and memory at "28%" and never changes throughout the entirety of the recording. CPU cannot possibly be at 0% given that you are recording the video, launching the app, etcetera. Also memory cannot possibly be unchanged from when you launch the app until it completely loads. On my Windows box, CPU sits at 1% when nothing is open or doing anything at all and just moving the mouse on the desktop without any programs other than Task Manager makes the CPU jump up to 5% to 7%. This shows that even the performance monitor application is not able to run properly and that is what is causing it to fail to update it's display so it erroneously shows 0% and 28% continuously.

In terms of what we see happening in TheBrain: The application is completely unusable. I do not believe the "stuck notes" issue is happening at all but rather that everything is running extremely extremely slowly. I've never seen it run so slowly ever and I am surprised it is working at all given how slowly everything runs. To look at one specific example, when the program first opens, the "hints" display shows a gray box underneath it... This is an artifact of the display calculating the height of the dialog when it is first shown. When that calculation completes, the dialog is resized and the gray area disappears. Normally this takes less than 1/5th of a second and most people don't even notice it except as a brief "flash" at startup. However, on your recording, it took about 36 seconds. In other words, the application is running about 200 times slower than normal...
Regards,
-Harlan

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software