Kriggel23
My post from today relating the timeline has obviously been deleted.
I'm really, really angry.

That's definite the wrong way to handle criticism.

Christian
pthompson
Christian,

I'm not sure if/why your post was deleted. It may have been by mistake, but we are always open to suggestions if it is constructive. What where your suggestions for the timeline? By the way, we do still have plans to improve and expand on the timeline. We just recently added the ability to sync with Google Calendar but we also have some other open suggestions for it and are always open to more.
Patrick Thompson
TheBrain Technologies
Kriggel23
Patrick,

thanks.

In short words again what I've criticised: The really poor integration of the timeline into the plex: logical, visual, and program logic.

Logical: the timeline shows events on dates; an event is linked to a thought; a thought is displayed on the plex.
imho better: add a date thought type, add date thoughts to plex, link thoughts to dates.
To me, an "event" is just - a thought. A date is a thought, as well.

Visual: the timeline, now, is pinned to the bottom of the app, horizontally. It can be displayed. It can be hidden. Nothing more.
imho by far better: integrate (sic!) time data and it's visualization into the plex. Remove the timeline view as it is right now. Add a "time view".
At least, but not as good as this, make the timeline view adjustable. Allow it to be displayed between notes and plex, or at the top. Or left or right - vertical.

Program logic: the timeline now shows all events which are assigned to dates within the period of time being displayed.
Allow these events to be filtered according to the active, or selected, or visible thought(s). Maybe via a preference?
Btw.: I understand, that by changing the scale of the timeline, it might make no sense, or increases the workload far too much when we try to display all events; but nevertheless - if you could filter the events, maybe they could be displayed when the timeline shows months and years?

In know, we're still in beta, BUT: events are not listed within the search result list; you can not add it to the selection.

Christian
pthompson
Thanks for the feedback. One thing I would like to point out is that the timeline was added in very suddenly and recently (in comparison to the full length of TheBrain 9's development) which is why it may seem very basic at this point. It was not originally planned for our initial release so what you are seeing now may (most likely) not be the end of development for it and, like I said, we do still have plans to improve and expand on it so any fair and constructive suggestions are always welcome.

With that said, I will make sure that we document your suggestions.

Kriggel23 wrote: Logical: the timeline shows events on dates; an event is linked to a thought; a thought is displayed on the plex.
imho better: add a date thought type, add date thoughts to plex, link thoughts to dates.
To me, an "event" is just - a thought. A date is a thought, as well.
Regarding this suggestion, while it may require some more work, this can be done manually. Perhaps making Events searchable will prevent the need for this step?
Kriggel23 wrote: Visual: the timeline, now, is pinned to the bottom of the app, horizontally. It can be displayed. It can be hidden. Nothing more.
imho by far better: integrate (sic!) time data and it's visualization into the plex. Remove the timeline view as it is right now. Add a "time view".
At least, but not as good as this, make the timeline view adjustable. Allow it to be displayed between notes and plex, or at the top. Or left or right - vertical.
Do you have any more info about what this "Time View" would consist of. Are you suggesting that this would be a view of Thoughts (Events) in the Plex?
Patrick Thompson
TheBrain Technologies
Kriggel23
Patrick,

the basic idea is to keep (not only) the interface as simple, or as clean as possible.

For example, I use TB as a tool to handle the data, and the relations of my ancestors, as a genealogy tool.
Each person got a birth date, and in most cases, a date of death.
So I create a thought for the single person, and per date one thought (name format "yyyy-mm-dd", unique within TB).
I link person and dates.

Now, using the timeline, I am forced to create two events, e.g. "born", and "died".
But: I got various persons to enter, so I see a lot of "born"-, and "died"-events, with the name of the appr. person in front.
BUT: this does not work, because I can't change the scale of the timeline to display e.g. a century, and even if I use the largest scale, no events at all are displayed.
AND: there's no relation between the active, or selected thought(s) and the events on the timeline, or the period of time being currently visible ...

I'm used to get the central information and the related data at a glance.
One person. Two dates. The links stand for "born" and "died."

"Time View": We've got the "Mind Map" view: one thought in the middle, the linked thoughts are more or less evenly spread on the left, resp. the right side. The kind of the links is present, but not that important for the way the thoughts are arranged as they are in normal view.
Now, just imagine having date thoughts, on the left side; dates are displayed from the past (top) to present, or future (bottom). Depending on the selected scale, you would see one thought per year, or month, or day.
If a "normal" thought x is linked to a day d, this thought x would be visible on the right side; if the month of d, or the year of d is displayed (due to scaling), a "virtual" link would be displayed between thought x and month, or thought x and year. You can scroll the dates, and change the scale. If more thoughts are linked to one date, than can be displayed, well, than just show three or four in a line - if I want to see the rest, I can either scroll those thoughts (left/right), or make the date in question the active thought in normal view ...
Just an idea - we could navigate via cursor keys to a normal thought, press enter, and by this switch to "Normal View"; and vice verse - navigate to a date thought, press enter, and enter "Date View"?
Periods of time could be represented by a vertical line.

@Harlan: I've got your mail and apology, thank you very, very much. Your kind words have reconciled me. I appreciate you and the work you do.

Christian
tomcal123
pthompson wrote: Christian,

I'm not sure if/why your post was deleted. It may have been by mistake, but we are always open to suggestions if it is constructive. What where your suggestions for the timeline? By the way, we do still have plans to improve and expand on the timeline. We just recently added the ability to sync with Google Calendar but we also have some other open suggestions for it and are always open to more.

Patrick,

After seeing this, I tried to set up Google Calendar sync.  After enabling the integration with Google Calendar and then choosing a calendar, sync failed so I restarted The Brain.  After restarting, sync seemed to be working ok - taking much longer than usual which I assumed was due to syncing my Google Calendar events.  Then The Brain crashed and I can't get it restarted.  Many attempts.  I send the log file to support.  Any ideas on how I can restart The Brain while I'm waiting for a response?  

Any help would be much appreciated.

Tom
mcaton
Tom,

Thanks for posting.  I'll go retrieve your log file now and document this issue for the engineering team's review.  Thanks.

Also, just to let you know, there is an existing request for a larger scale of view in the Timeline.  I'll add your vote to this request.  If you were able to visualize a full century in the timeline view, could you then just add a single event to each person?  Event start = Birth / Event End = Death?

Thank you,
Matt
Harlan
tomcal123 wrote:
...After seeing this, I tried to set up Google Calendar sync.  After enabling the integration with Google Calendar and then choosing a calendar, sync failed so I restarted The Brain....

Hmmmm... That's strange... The controls for enabling the Google Calendar sync should not be visible yet as we are still doing internal testing with it. How did you do it?
Regards,
-Harlan
tomcal123
Harlan,

After seeing Patrick's post about it, I decided to look around.  Found it under keyboard settings - Timeline.  Set up a shortcut for it.  Used the shortcut and started the process. The box to choose my Google Calendar was in the upper left corner of the screen with the top and left cut off.  After selecting my Google Calendar to sync I had to Alt-F4 to close that box.  Sure wish I hadn't tried it...

Any way that I can undo it so that I can open that Brain?

Thank you for your help.

Tom
pthompson
Tom,

Thanks for that info. We will make sure to document this. As for opening the Brain, I will check with our engineers.
Patrick Thompson
TheBrain Technologies
Harlan
Tom, I believe the issue you were having has been resolved. Please contact support@thebrain.com if this is not the case.
Regards,
-Harlan

Add a Website Forum to your website.

Newsletter Signup  Newsletter Signup        Visit TheBrain Blog   Visit TheBrain Blog       Follow us on Twitter   Follow Us       Like Us on Facebook   Like Us         Circle Us on Google+  Circle Us         Watch Us on Youtube  Watch Us       

TheBrain Mind Map & Mindmapping Software     Download TheBrain Mind Mapping Software